House Price Crash Forum

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 27/03/2020 at 17:47, 2buyornot2buy said:

So it looks like quite a few of the local Air BnB's are converting to longer term lets. For example,

https://www.propertypal.com/unit-7-one-sussex-place-belfast/626584/photo-8

I'm happy to see this.

Am I the only one who thinks £1050 a month to live in the roofspace of a city centre that has shutdown is utterly ridiculous?

Who the hell is going to want to rent that at that price?

Just now, 2buyornot2buy said:

They'll be hoping someone, anyone. 

Yes, it still stinks of greed IMO.

If prices do ever drop in NI it'll have to be via bank repos as the folk here are so deluded about things.

"Yes I know the worlds economy has collapsed but my 2.5 bedroom crumbling semi in Rosetta has gone up 10% in the last 6 months"

1 hour ago, JoeDavola said:

Yes, it still stinks of greed IMO.

If prices do ever drop in NI it'll have to be via bank repos as the folk here are so deluded about things.

"Yes I know the worlds economy has collapsed but my 2.5 bedroom crumbling semi in Rosetta has gone up 10% in the last 6 months"

The same people will be lucky to have a job in 6 months along with the rest if the population 

10 hours ago, stingray192 said:

This one was originally two apartments that the builder reconfigured into one apartment, so it’s a huge space, it’s very dated looking now though

I expect it will be empty for a while now. I'm sure the other residents will be happy for a bit of peace now there won't be random groups of unknowns coming into the place every other night. I'm actually surprised other residents don't raise it with the management company, there's usually clause in the lease to prevent this type if short term rental. 

6 hours ago, 2buyornot2buy said:

I expect it will be empty for a while now. I'm sure the other residents will be happy for a bit of peace now there won't be random groups of unknowns coming into the place every other night. I'm actually surprised other residents don't raise it with the management company, there's usually clause in the lease to prevent this type if short term rental. 

I totally disapprove of Airbnb , they ruin neighbours lives, I think it should be banned, I know of a lot of people who’s lives are a nightmare as the house or apartments all of a sudden becomes a party pad, there are genuine business people and tourists Etc who rent them and respect the neighbours but also a lot of people now hire them for hen parties etc and they are seriously noisy , also a lot are hired out by people going for nights out, concerts etc as it can be cheaper for 4+ people to rent an apartment than get taxis

5 minutes ago, stingray192 said:

I totally disapprove of Airbnb , they ruin neighbours lives, I think it should be banned, I know of a lot of people who’s lives are a nightmare as the house or apartments all of a sudden becomes a party pad, there are genuine business people and tourists Etc who rent them and respect the neighbours but also a lot of people now hire them for hen parties etc and they are seriously noisy , also a lot are hired out by people going for nights out, concerts etc as it can be cheaper for 4+ people to rent an apartment than get taxis

Hear hear. 

It's an unregulated mess. 

I'm actually shocked at the number about Belfast. This block appears to have a few, titanic and obel are coming down with them along with Tyrone house. 

The arc apartments in titanic are full of Airbnb people who have bought apartments to live in are having a hard time with people partying before and after the concerts Etc, the good thing is at the moment they are mainly lying empty so the owners will be struggling and will either rent long term or try and sell them, I think we are going to have another massive crash when this virus ends 

14 minutes ago, stingray192 said:

I also don’t see people travelling quite as much for a good while, this will further damage Airbnb . I go abroad min 6 times a year and have no more plans until everything starts to get back to normal

I'll admit, I didn't think we'd get here this fast. I even went and booked 10 days to the maldives. Cancelled and refunded. After the 2 weeks I've had at home, I'll be booking again as soon as it calms down. 

Just now, stingray192 said:

The arc apartments in titanic are full of Airbnb people who have bought apartments to live in are having a hard time with people partying before and after the concerts Etc, the good thing is at the moment they are mainly lying empty so the owners will be struggling and will either rent long term or try and sell them, I think we are going to have another massive crash when this virus ends 

A friend of mine lived in the arc for 2 years.

The management company were going nuts because there was a massive amount of waste being generated; far in excess of what was projected for a building of that size.

This was for 2 reasons:

1. Airbnb party apartments.

2. Families of (from what my friend saw) Indians living in one bed apartments - the one opposite him had a double bed matress placed in the middle of the living room with 3 adults sleeping on it. So what's that 5 maybe 6 people living in a one bed flat.

4 hours ago, 2buyornot2buy said:

I'll admit, I didn't think we'd get here this fast. I even went and booked 10 days to the maldives. Cancelled and refunded. After the 2 weeks I've had at home, I'll be booking again as soon as it calms down. 

I was in the carribean in Jan, was meant to go to India in May, this was cancelled understandably, for the rest of the year when we are allowed to we will only go to our holiday home up the north coast, I have no plans to go anywhere else and virtually evryone I know is of the same opinion, people are disappointed to not get away, understand why, but have no plans to book anything else, I am normally in Aberdeen and London constantly but again have no plans to go, all my money will be spent locally 

Here's a good one. 2 self employed people doing Air BnB for the pension. Both will probably be unemployed now. How will people like this survive the economic crash? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/life/house-home/how-ni-businesswoman-nuala-campbell-transformed-dilapidated-belfast-terrace-into-stylish-airbnb-on-25k-budget-39019406.html

Nuala reveals they decided to buy the house "because I have no pension and we thought it would be a good investment". 

I've no idea how the government will bail people like this out, or if it's even possible. 

143k mortgage and 25k spent. Wonder what it will go for when it's marketed by the bank. 

I've been looking into the number of Air Bnbs about Belfast that have recently been listed for rent. I've completely underestimated the number. A quick look shows dozens of places now up for longterm rent. I knew this was widespread, but I didn't realise just how wide spread. It looks like there are 2000k in Belfast alone. 

This virus is going to drop rents like a stone. Absolutely fantastic to see. 

These are just the people who are throwing in the towel now, or rather attempting to - nobody is going to move house right now.

When the restrictions are lifted, there will likely be some who will try to go on as before and I think a bunch of others will be joining the queue to get out.

This corona virus thing is likely to drag on in some form until late 2021, I think a lot of people will be doing staycations rather than chancing it on some hotel or AirBNB.

I decided to have a look and see how many listing there are for the North Coast area. Some listings appear to be for last summers Open Golf. This makes me wonder do the listings last a year, before they disappear of the site? Many of these will likely be holiday homes and not speculators.

This one made me laugh -

"Self-isolate with an AMAZING view!"

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/31610436?location=portrush&adults=2&check_in=2020-06-01&check_out=2020-06-08&source_impression_id=p3_1586097610_zhW%2BJz%2FuXTfQhVBC

6 minutes ago, Belfast Boy said:

I decided to have a look and see how many listing there are for the North Coast area. Some listings appear to be for last summers Open Golf. This makes me wonder do the listings last a year, before they disappear of the site? Many of these will likely be holiday homes and not speculators.

This one made me laugh -

"Self-isolate with an AMAZING view!"

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/31610436?location=portrush&adults=2&check_in=2020-06-01&check_out=2020-06-08&source_impression_id=p3_1586097610_zhW%2BJz%2FuXTfQhVBC

Kelley needs to get a proper job.

Easy to spot them on PP, they have nice bedding and towels in the pics. Also a love of throws and tables with place settings.