House Price Crash Forum

Lockdown: impact on EAs?

HOLA441

So non essential businesses have to shut shops but can trade online. I wonder if EAs will realise their high street offices are pointless and move to online only once all this is over?

What impact will this have on new listings/sales? Can EAs still go to a property for valuation and photos/measure up? Will they still do viewings?

HOLA442
HOLA443
53 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Who's actually going to be house hunting or selling currently?

No-one.

We are now in exceptional circumstance for ~ 3 months.

God know how thatll affect peoples behaviour going forward.

Id also guess that UKGOV will be leaning on banks lending money to busines  rather than housing speculation.

And I expect the UKGOV economy to tank, GOV to spray money, then inflation kick off, then interest rates up.

Id not want to be overleveraged or have more housing exposure  beyond OO at the mo.

HOLA444

Started viewing houses in the last few weeks - definitely waiting now to see where prices go. met an agent a couple of weeks back who, although still full of ********, was a really nice guy. He genuinely seemed to not have thought about the impact of Covid-19. He rang me yesterday, still in office, not open to public, and said they were sitting further apart. I told him that I knew he needed to earn but that EAs are not key worker businesses and he and his colleagues should lobby their boss to reduce their risk. Told me it was a great time to buy and Mortgage rates were never better. I pointed out there was a house I had seen on Friday, 3 bed 1930's Semi in Rye, East Sussex, that dropped from £325k to £220k in one day - not surprisingly SSTC, Massive garden, still expensive but a great price for the area. I could almost hear him swallow on the other end of the line: 'Oh, that really is a big drop' Wished him well, told him to stay safe and said I would wait for a few months to see where prices are.

HOLA445
2 hours ago, Si1 said:

Who's actually going to be house hunting or selling currently?

me for a start! there will be landlords who need to sell up and get out of the BTL game .... they'll be ripping buyers hands off. forced sales (estates, divorce etc) ditto - they wont want to hang around in this climate.

HOLA446
HOLA447
1 hour ago, Longtermrenter said:

Started viewing houses in the last few weeks - definitely waiting now to see where prices go. met an agent a couple of weeks back who, although still full of ********, was a really nice guy. He genuinely seemed to not have thought about the impact of Covid-19. He rang me yesterday, still in office, not open to public, and said they were sitting further apart. I told him that I knew he needed to earn but that EAs are not key worker businesses and he and his colleagues should lobby their boss to reduce their risk. Told me it was a great time to buy and Mortgage rates were never better. I pointed out there was a house I had seen on Friday, 3 bed 1930's Semi in Rye, East Sussex, that dropped from £325k to £220k in one day - not surprisingly SSTC, Massive garden, still expensive but a great price for the area. I could almost hear him swallow on the other end of the line: 'Oh, that really is a big drop' Wished him well, told him to stay safe and said I would wait for a few months to see where prices are.

Do you have a link to that house?

HOLA448
HOLA449
35 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

I know an ex BTLr who has spent the last 8 months very slowly doing up his BTL himself to save paying someone else to do it.

Went on the market last week. 

I will have to ask him how the viewings are going.

plus -How many months rent income forgone ? 

HOLA4410
1 hour ago, Sausage said:

me for a start! there will be landlords who need to sell up and get out of the BTL game .... they'll be ripping buyers hands off. forced sales (estates, divorce etc) ditto - they wont want to hang around in this climate.

Well, leaving aside the fact that you should not be leaving the house, it is you who should be ripping their financial hands/arms/torsos off :)

HOLA4411
1 hour ago, Confusion of VIs said:

I know an ex BTLr who has spent the last 8 months very slowly doing up his BTL himself to save paying someone else to do it.

Went on the market last week. 

I will have to ask him how the viewings are going.

I imagine quite a few of us here would enjoy listening to that conversation.

Edited by dougless

HOLA4412
1 hour ago, mrtickle said:

Well, leaving aside the fact that you should not be leaving the house, it is you who should be ripping their financial hands/arms/torsos off :)

My daily exercise (bike ride) takes me past the house I want to view. Plus EAs do face time viewings.

And if my landlord starts eviction proceedings, I'll need to secure a home for my wife and kids... I consider that an essential reason to leave the house.

Edited by Sausage