House Price Crash Forum

People who have taken a good 2 decades of financial risks, now touting themselves are Coronavirus risk experts!

Not sure if I should laugh or cry. 

A couple of examples of Facebook friends who have been taking risks for years, mainly financial, but also with health i.e. smoking, drinking, overeating, now suddenly risk experts on the CoronaVirus.

-Couple who must be up to their eyeballs in debt, big mortgage, PCP cars etc.  even though their income is not guaranteed to be that stable.  Now the wife is blasting advice that people should not be taking the risk of leaving their houses under almost any circumstances.

-Guy who has a self employed hobby job in the arts, if he was that worried about is income maybe he should have thought about a more serious career!  Yet now he is talking about the economic impact  of him not getting a bailout.  Also coming out with advice multiple times a day, that it is a risk if absolutely everyone is not in complete lock-down.

-Multiple times, people who engage in unhealthy activities that will take decades off their lives, also insisting everyone should not venture outside for 1 minute.

(I keep quiet on facebook, and just save my rants for HPC)

Cognitive dissonance? 

Isolation is directly good for the nation and indirectly good for individuals. But it’s boring. 

Don’t worry, ‘special people’ won’t get it OR will get it mildly OR have had it already OR it doesn’t exist.

0CC44A15-A104-4111-B02E-7552B2623A83.jpeg

Posted (edited)

I agree isolation is a good idea if possible, but it is just funny to me that these people take risks for decades and then suddenly become an authority in their own minds on risk management (sometimes including official looking graphics in their Facebook posts)

The key is not to touch surfaces or being within 2 metres of each other.

Edited by reddog

Everyone thinks they're an expert. Look at the posters here.  Take everything with a pinch of salt (my posts included).

A rule of thumb is the more loudly someone professes their 'advice', the more you should be skeptical.

For all it's failings, I'm impressed with the BBC advice and reporting- strange how the 'alternative fact' sites shut up when it the **** hits the fan.

19 hours ago, reddog said:

Not sure if I should laugh or cry. 

A couple of examples of Facebook friends who have been taking risks for years, mainly financial, but also with health i.e. smoking, drinking, overeating, now suddenly risk experts on the CoronaVirus.

-Couple who must be up to their eyeballs in debt, big mortgage, PCP cars etc.  even though their income is not guaranteed to be that stable.  Now the wife is blasting advice that people should not be taking the risk of leaving their houses under almost any circumstances.

-Guy who has a self employed hobby job in the arts, if he was that worried about is income maybe he should have thought about a more serious career!  Yet now he is talking about the economic impact  of him not getting a bailout.  Also coming out with advice multiple times a day, that it is a risk if absolutely everyone is not in complete lock-down.

-Multiple times, people who engage in unhealthy activities that will take decades off their lives, also insisting everyone should not venture outside for 1 minute.

(I keep quiet on facebook, and just save my rants for HPC)

Thanks for this.. Social distancing and I’ve felt even more alone that I’m the only one who thinks this.. 

People are cheering for these ******ing totalitarianism and draconian measures... ‘Experts’ who smash their bodies and financial situations apart. Save lives yeah but don’t dismantle a total economy and generations future prospects in the process. The fall out and over reaction to these measures are going to be the real killer here. 

3 hours ago, Money Frugality said:

Save lives yeah but don’t dismantle a total economy and generations future prospects in the process.

Unfortunately, you have to pick one out of your "saving lives" vs "saving the economy" selection. The ukgov wasted two precious weeks trying to do both, and now hundreds if not thousands more will die as a consequence of their criminal inaction.

You need to realise that we're going to have to "dismantle a total economy and generations future prospects" (but I wouldn't put it like that).

Edited by mrtickle
5 hours ago, mrtickle said:

Unfortunately, you have to pick one out of your "saving lives" vs "saving the economy" selection. The ukgov wasted two precious weeks trying to do both, and now hundreds if not thousands more will die as a consequence of their criminal inaction.

You need to realise that we're going to have to "dismantle a total economy and generations future prospects" (but I wouldn't put it like that).

We are seeing a forced correction. All the malinvestment built up over two decades or more is being exposed and destroyed all at once. Unprofitable and inefficient business are going to the wall. The heavily indebted are going to go bust. This is going to be extremly painful. Unemployment is going to skyrocket.

When its all over the economy should bounce back quickly. It should be lean and efficent with very little debt burden dragging it down. Growth should be quick. Especially if the recession fores the state to downsize, lowering taxes.

Unfortunately I think the state and central banks are going to step in, as always. They will try to prevent all the necessary steps for the completion of the bust, thus stretching the misery out for as long as possible and making it worse. What they are going to do is described right here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbTUaCLWoKc&feature=youtu.be&t=3246

If the economy was healthy there would be no real problems with the economy now. Businesses would be profitable and sitting on reserves. There would be spare capacity, instead of everything being tightly wound like a spring, trying to service debts. People would have savings to fall back on. Decades of money printing and zero percent interest rates has left the economy ready to collapse. And it should collapse.

On 23/03/2020 at 12:10, reddog said:

I agree isolation is a good idea if possible, but it is just funny to me that these people take risks for decades and then suddenly become an authority in their own minds on risk management (sometimes including official looking graphics in their Facebook posts)

The key is not to touch surfaces or being within 2 metres of each other.

I figure Mobile phones and car steering wheels are the massive epic fail of 99% of people. Say you leave the house 100% free, uninfected. Go to do some shopping, hand sanitiser in pocket (for arguments sake). You go out, get in the car reach the shops. Phone straight in pocket. Go around the shops , touch the trolly / basket handle, store door handle, shelves, take cash change, the list is endless. during your shop maybe just once to check your phone, a email ot text ping, a facebook or Instagram notification update. 

Get out of store, use hand sanitser. Feel safe. BUT YOU DONT DISINFECT YOUR PHONE!!  on the way to the car you check the news, or facebook, BAM your infected again. Then you get a phone call, without thinking the phone is to your ear, BAM now you hands and face are infected. 

You get in your car, still feeling safe. BAM your steering wheel is infected, you use your stereo controls or google / apple play touchscreen, BAM that's infected. 

You get home , dump the bags, put down the phone, now be good and before anything else a 20 second soapyhand wash. Then make a cuppa and pick up your phone again to go into the lounge to watch the news, BAM hands infected again.

If you use the car again to collect a loved one from somewhere, even if you don't ever leave the car, as soon as you touch that steering wheel and controls again within 24 hrs, BAM again hands infected.

So IMHO unless you leave your phone at home always when going out , and or don't disinfect it, the car controls and handles and dispose of the wipes, BEFORE you wash your hands back home and without touching anything between phone wipe bin disposal , and hand wash. You may as not bother at all with any hand sanitser or hand washing.

I make the wife and kids do this every time they return home like a bloody virus guard. kitchen towel, phone on one side, spray with Dettol anti bact / Anti virus spray , flip over with a tool, spray back. fold kitchen towel over, wipe off front and back at same time, then let slide onto clean surface, dispose of kitchen towel then make then wash their hands for 20 seconds. 

I betting 90% of people fall for this trap, we just don't mentally consider a mobile phone a risk, we are just to welded to it and using it.

Vinyl gloves work well using mobile phones.....wash hands well, put gloves on can then go out and can touch anything but do not touch face, can even wash them whilst wearing them....they are almost transparent so can hardly notice have them on and disposable...

I do get the point that there are a few people that over their own lifetime have not looked after their bodies well, over indulged and taken risks, and now are extra vigilant about putting into practice protective measures to avoid the virus.....there are also those that don't care then and don't care now.....and everything in between. ;)