House Price Crash Forum

Thought I would create a semi housing related thread.

We are hearing "London is a few weeks ahead with the Corona virus"

Do you think in the coming months and years, that this current problem will make Londoners realise that living cheek by jowl with a load of global nomads has both advantages and disadvantages?

If people start to move out, what impact will there be on London prices?

What impact on the areas that they bring their (for now) house price gains to?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It remains to be seen what the global coronavirus crisis and also brexit does to the international finance and services industry in London and surrounds. I suspect this will be a bigger arbiter. People will always follow the money IMHO.

3 hours ago, reddog said:

If people start to move out, what impact will there be on London prices?

What impact on the areas that they bring their (for now) house price gains to?

I think more 35+ year olds with kids will leave but they will get replaced by new immigrants who want to build their life there.

short term all the infected londoners will flee regardless of having coughs etc, (its only a cold!)

they will head to other regions in the hope of treatment.

a north london hospital is just announced that they have run out of beds. So london is only a day away from having no beds. 

thing is local hospitals are full.

and most of the local doctors will prioritise treatment to locals over some posh london scum who bought up all the local houses.

prices are soo high its only london bankers who drove the prices up, even pricing doctors out. 

Edited by jiltedjen

Colleague told me that his sisters has asked is she could work from home up here in the northwest "she thought she would go mad in her tiny box of  london flat". This will turn out like italy, people get out of london and infect there mums/dads/siblings in other parts of the UK

Edited by debtlessmanc
3 hours ago, jiltedjen said:

short term all the infected londoners will flee regardless of having coughs etc, (its only a cold!)

they will head to other regions in the hope of treatment.

a north london hospital is just announced that they have run out of beds. So london is only a day away from having no beds. 

thing is local hospitals are full.

and most of the local doctors will prioritise treatment to locals over some posh london scum who bought up all the local houses.

prices are soo high its only london bankers who drove the prices up, even pricing doctors out. 

You really hate Londoners don't you....do you think we are all posh and live in Clapham ?

Of course if we are all 'posh' our private healthcare will kick in won't it ? as per the contract which was only confirmed again in an email today....

2 minutes ago, GregBowman said:

You really hate Londoners don't you....do you think we are all posh and live in Clapham ?

Of course if we are all 'posh' our private healthcare will kick in won't it ? as per the contract which was only confirmed again in an email today....

Clapham was a dump when I used to party there in the 60s.

12 minutes ago, GregBowman said:

He does have a point though. Isolating somewhere else possible infecting hotel staff like a cruise ship on soil.

1 hour ago, longgone said:

He does have a point though. Isolating somewhere else possible infecting hotel staff like a cruise ship on soil.

We the same size as a US state it’s all over the country anyway -but  I do agree With you but really only another version of come home to a real fire - your holiday home on fire - 

14 minutes ago, GregBowman said:

We the same size as a US state it’s all over the country anyway -but  I do agree With you but really only another version of come home to a real fire - your holiday home on fire - 

Yep about the same population As California with marginally Less fat people.

Hotel And shorts let's are through the roof in Cornwall though as there was no holiday homes left as the London lot bought them All.

5 hours ago, Peter Hun said:

London is a couple of weeks ahead of most of the country. But not the Midlands.

And COVID is already all over the country.

It will burnout faster in the UK now than the US! 

Reports from Dublin is that students have left, holiday makers have left, and immigrant labour has left, meaning that there is now a glut of rental property empty in the city. Bargains are to be had, rents are dropping and air BnBs a plenty. This surely will be happening in London now that the shutdown is getting closer.

Edited by bear.getting.old
3 hours ago, bear.getting.old said:

Reports from Dublin is that students have left, holiday makers have left, and immigrant labour has left, meaning that there is now a glut of rental property empty in the city. Bargains are to be had, rents are dropping and air BnBs a plenty. This surely will be happening in London now that the shutdown is getting closer.

Not only that, the river has cleaned up

https://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2020/03/20/dublin-canals-run-clear-amid-covid-lockdown-revealing-beautiful-shopping-trolleys-handguns/

15 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

Yes. It just uses an uber.

FB82920D-1B29-46A8-9F23-0F3EA717977D.jpeg

I assume these cases are by borough of residency - rather than hospital location where they reported ill?

Also looks like boroughs where most people live in houses, have back gardens and drive have fewer cases than inner city areas where people live in communal flats sharing lifts, using the same communal doors etc etc.

seen death threats towards holiday parks advertising themselves as ‘ideal places to self isolate in a region of low virus cases’

suddenly the park is closed due to fire-bomb threats. 

stay where you are, don’t infect the regions. trust me people feel soo strongly about this that as soon as they know where you are from them won’t thank you for infecting their families. 

surprised we have not seen road-blocks only allowing lorries and vans and NHS workers being allowed through yet. 

tension is high. 

a I would go as far as saying leaving London is a greater threat to your family than staying there right now. 

23 hours ago, debtlessmanc said:

i did read somewhere that 120,000 albanians had left Italy to go back to Albania, i am sure this is significantly represented by other immigrant nationalities doing the same.

26 minutes ago, jiltedjen said:

seen death threats towards holiday parks advertising themselves as ‘ideal places to self isolate in a region of low virus cases’

suddenly the park is closed due to fire-bomb threats. 

stay where you are, don’t infect the regions. trust me people feel soo strongly about this that as soon as they know where you are from them won’t thank you for infecting their families. 

surprised we have not seen road-blocks only allowing lorries and vans and NHS workers being allowed through yet. 

tension is high. 

a I would go as far as saying leaving London is a greater threat to your family than staying there right now. 

In scotland

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/21/scottish-government-furious-at-travellers-to-highlands-and-islands

apparently seaside towns were full yestreday too, people are finding out how high the population density of this country is really- thinking you can get away from it all.

Edited by debtlessmanc