House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
PulpFiction

Timber Frame House

The room sizes suggest its a large shed though. They have a few of these for sale around here--sturdy workshops they call them. About 3k. You find the land of course. Imagine going into debt for 25 years buying one of those--a place to call home. The second bedroom wouldn't even take a bed let alone furniture. Come the crash 15k?

Wow.

A young able bodied man could build that in two weeks and still go out on Friday and Saturday night.

Who could actually believe it's worth £125,000?

I'm not even sure you would need planning permission it looks like a temporary structure.

If anyone does buy it they will feel very, very stupid in five years.

It's probably the land that makes up the bulk of the price. I priced-up self-building some time ago and calculated that I could build a small, detached, two-bed house for less than £50K. That was assuming everything went reaonably smoothly of course, though with builders, electricians, plumbers, etc. in the family I would have a fighting chance of carrying it off on the cheap. However, the cheapest plot I could find was £85K – My entire budget!

Wow.

A young able bodied man could build that in two weeks and still go out on Friday and Saturday night.

Who could actually believe it's worth £125,000?

I'm not even sure you would need planning permission it looks like a temporary structure.

If anyone does buy it they will feel very, very stupid in five years.

You would definitely need planning.

Temporary structures are a myth with regard to planning.

I don't know what the area is like there but in tourist areas quite a few of these have been built and bought up by those wishing to BTL these as holiday homes.

Originally these developments were dirt cheap and because they aren't bad to live in for seven to fourteen days whilst on holiday they offered quite a good return.

Unfortunately the British public then panic bought anything that could concievably be described as shelter and now they are being put up for sale at silly prices.

I don't know what the area is like there but in tourist areas quite a few of these have been built and bought up by those wishing to BTL these as holiday homes.

Originally these developments were dirt cheap and because they aren't bad to live in for seven to fourteen days whilst on holiday they offered quite a good return.

Unfortunately the British public then panic bought anything that could concievably be described as shelter and now they are being put up for sale at silly prices.

Yes - it's the highly popular tourist area of Calderdale! (Only 15 mins from the M62)!

I wouldn't be too surprised about the odd shed here and there at vastly inflated offer prices. The entire "park" home industry is festooned with ludicrously high prices..a result of site owners having a total monopoly on sales. This is why all park home manufacturers rarely deal direct with the public, unless you already own a park home and wish to update it.

The whole "park" home scam needs serious attention from parliament, councils and pressure groups. This includes the odd isolated wooden or plastic structure going for a price similar to a bricks and mortar home. The problem is you are paying essentially for the land, inherent planning permission and other rights, rather than the building itself.

I predict that along with the general property crash impending, these kind of homes will go the same way. It couldn't be soon enough.

VP

It is a traditional log cabin. Probably quite cheap off the shelf in USA. Watch out as an ASDA - I mean Walmart near you.

Seriously, we are talking the value of land here. Does anyone know how much and how well protected the views are?

Corus and others are now selling very high quality OSC modular, so let's not knock anything that is not made of brick/stone.

I live in a log cabin and on the whole it's not bad: it's been cold some days in the winter, but that's due to crappy heater location rather than wooden walls. Did cost me more money to insure my stuff as the insurer didn't like the fire risk though, and I certainly wouldn't pay 130k for it.

Hi,

Do you like open view then? How about this, in the french countryside with big garden and several bedrooms. Made of bricks! £17, 000.

http://www.fnaim.fr/recherche/resultats_de...e=0&transac=201

Or maybe you like the spanish countryside? A whopping £28, 000

http://www.countryestatespain.com/php/list...?listingID=2350

Or if you really are hell bent on timber construction, why not try the Ontario countryside from £20, 000 to £50, 000 for faimly size homes with land and mod-cons.

http://www.queenswood.com/barrysbay/resident.htm

So who said there was a housing bubble in the UK? Nonsense, all perfectly sane.

Boomer

Edited by boom_and_bust