House Price Crash Forum

Amazon suspending delivery of non essentials

HOLA441

Don't buy from Amazon unless it is an essential, otherwise you won't get it:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8122029/Amazon-SUSPENDING-shipments-non-essential-items-prioritize-medical-goods.html

If I was a conspiracy theorist, I'd assume this was an attempt by Amazon to force people into using their food service whilst all other shops are closed down. 

HOLA442
HOLA443
8 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8122029/Amazon-SUSPENDING-shipments-non-essential-items-prioritize-medical-goods.html

If I was a conspiracy theorist, I'd assume this was an attempt by Amazon to force people into using their food service whilst all other shops are closed down. 

Had a look at their pantry service a few months ago. Absolute crap. 

HOLA444
6 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

You don't need to be a conspiracy theorist to see that the supermarkets inability to maintain their on-line services as demand ramps up is a huge opportunity for Amazon.  

HOLA445
3 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

You don't need to be a conspiracy theorist to see that the supermarkets inability to maintain their on-line services as demand ramps up is a huge opportunity for Amazon.  

I can also see shares tanking and the US Government nationalising Amazon... at which point we are all China! 

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
25 minutes ago, stuckmojo said:

Define non essentials. I pre-ordered the new Testament album and that' s pretty ******ing essential. 

I agree, and I can imagine you reading Rolling Stone Magazine and bring really pissed off that the album hasn't arrived! 

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
52 minutes ago, markyh said:

Will come as a shock to Airline pilots , working at an Amazon centre!!!

My friends son works in their warehouse in Bathgate. He bought a pedal bike for work as its the only way he can can from one end of the warehouse to the other in the time alloted. 

HOLA4413

As far as I can see its stopping deliveries TO its warehouses, not FROM.

So, as a customer what you will notice is that non-essential "fulfilled by Amazon" (and possibly "sold by Amazon" if they are applying the rule to themselves) goods will be more likely to be out of stock.

If it is available and you order it you will still get it.

HOLA4414
22 minutes ago, gp_ said:

As far as I can see its stopping deliveries TO its warehouses, not FROM.

So, as a customer what you will notice is that non-essential "fulfilled by Amazon" (and possibly "sold by Amazon" if they are applying the rule to themselves) goods will be more likely to be out of stock.

If it is available and you order it you will still get it.

This.

It's about imports into the country to restock.  I've got millions of pounds of automation waiting to cross the channel causing huge economic loss, but obviously we need to restock essential day-to-day stock which should be pushed to the front of the queue, and it is.

Your sh*tty tat from china can wait.

No conspiracy here, move along!

HOLA4415
3 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

They announced yesterday they were recruiting an additional 100,000 staff to ramp up their service. 

That's in the US

Amazon plans to hire an extra 100,000 workers in the US and raise pay rates to deal with a surge in demand as consumers avoid shops and stock up online because of the coronavirus pandemic.

HOLA4416
5 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Do amazon sell much food? I had a look at amazon pantry, but couldn't find much food (lots of chocolate, alcoholic and soft drinks, condiments, toiletries). 

Do amazon (UK) sell food aside from amazon pantry? I think they own whole foods, but that's just the USA.

HOLA4417
5 hours ago, Kosmin said:

Do amazon sell much food? I had a look at amazon pantry, but couldn't find much food (lots of chocolate, alcoholic and soft drinks, condiments, toiletries). 

Do amazon (UK) sell food aside from amazon pantry? I think they own whole foods, but that's just the USA.

They did buy Whole Foods, which was regarded in the US. But Whole Foods only has one shop in the UK in London.

Also if people are ordering toilet roll, I could see that putting Amazon out of business. Large physical volume low value item, retailers hate those. 

HOLA4418
1 hour ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

They did buy Whole Foods, which was regarded in the US. But Whole Foods only has one shop in the UK in London.

Also if people are ordering toilet roll, I could see that putting Amazon out of business. Large physical volume low value item, retailers hate those. 

it has more than one

one in Richmond  one in Kensington and I am sure I seen a couple more 

HOLA4419
5 minutes ago, hurlerontheditch said:

it has more than one

one in Richmond  one in Kensington and I am sure I seen a couple more 

OK, I was aware of the one in Piccadilly and had heard they might open more. 

HOLA4420
1 minute ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

OK, I was aware of the one in Piccadilly and had heard they might open more. 

Looks like 7 stores now, easiest for me probably Richmond. 

HOLA4421
14 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

14 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Isn't it a huge opportunity for Ocado first and foremost? Amazon don't seem to sell food online in the UK, so how are they suddenly going to start doing that in a crisis?

HOLA4422
11 minutes ago, Kosmin said:

Isn't it a huge opportunity for Ocado first and foremost? Amazon don't seem to sell food online in the UK, so how are they suddenly going to start doing that in a crisis?

Ocado will do well.. I booked an order last Monday and first delivery is tomorrow ! I went on last nigh to edit the order and there were 9448 people ahead of me in the queue

HOLA4423
12 hours ago, regprentice said:

My friends son works in their warehouse in Bathgate. He bought a pedal bike for work as its the only way he can can from one end of the warehouse to the other in the time alloted. 

Supervisors aren't whipping hard enough

HOLA4424

What Amazon actually said was about good inwards to their warehouse from 3rd parties seller not deliveries to customers. (e.g. "fulfilled by Amazon")

i.e. they will be focusing future delivery acceptance to their warehouses for the next fortnight for high sales volume goods in the current climate.

A lot of these goods are fairly low churn rate for the entire delivery size and arrive by the container load so in most cases will still be in stock.

The idea is to focus goods inwards staff and warehouse shelf space on the recently in demand goods.

HOLA4425
12 minutes ago, hurlerontheditch said:

Ocado will do well.. I booked an order last Monday and first delivery is tomorrow ! I went on last nigh to edit the order and there were 9448 people ahead of me in the queue

Ocado shares are up 26% this week. It hasn't yet earned a profit, but the next set of results are presumably expected to be very good.

Morrisons is doing OK as well - shares are up 7% this morning as they announced they are "expanding its online delivery service and guaranteeing staff pay as it reported a rise in full-year pre-tax profit and a recent boost from coronavirus stockpiling."