House Price Crash Forum

What are the anxiety levels of the nation?

winkie

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the risk of sounding like a massive hippy-dippy moron, I have been mentally compiling a "gratitude list" for my ability to cope with the current situation

1) If it's lockdown I will be with people that make me laugh and lift me up, not ones who drag me down.

2) I live a pretty simple, non consumerist life so the things that give me the most joy - nature, music, exercise and good conversation aren't going to be any shorter in supply

3) No debt and modest savings - so if I can't work and don't get paid, there isn't instant financial hardship for me.

4) Good health - some of this is genetic, but I'm taking the credit for building on it with good lifestyle choices

5) A genuinely understanding boss who sent us an email saying "make your own choices of whether to work in the office or at home, nothing is more important than your health" - and actually meant it.

1 minute ago, longgone said:

Boredom and risk of infecting the old. 

I can understand not wanting to infect others, especially those older family members, or even other elderly people that come into contact with.....boredom not so sure, there is so much artificial screen entertainment out there, not as good as interation with real people, perhaps now is the time we can spend more quality time with the ones we love and company we enjoy.....life is very fragile.?

3 minutes ago, winkie said:

I can understand not wanting to infect others, especially those older family members, or even other elderly people that come into contact with.....boredom not so sure, there is so much artificial screen entertainment out there, not as good as interation with real people, perhaps now is the time we can spend more quality time with the ones we love and company we enjoy.....life is very fragile.?

True for most people however it is only my mother in the higher risk group. if she is locked down for 4 months that means i am too, i have a inconsiderate waste of space brother who infrequently turns up now and again from god knows what so he will have to disappear for months or stay here and not leave.  either option is going to cause a big argument when this is officially announced i don`t relish either option Tbh. 

still suppose i could do a online course or hit the gym in the garage. there is enough food here for 6 weeks or more. 

10 minutes ago, stop_the_craziness said:

At the risk of sounding like a massive hippy-dippy moron, I have been mentally compiling a "gratitude list" for my ability to cope with the current situation

1) If it's lockdown I will be with people that make me laugh and lift me up, not ones who drag me down.

2) I live a pretty simple, non consumerist life so the things that give me the most joy - nature, music, exercise and good conversation aren't going to be any shorter in supply

3) No debt and modest savings - so if I can't work and don't get paid, there isn't instant financial hardship for me.

4) Good health - some of this is genetic, but I'm taking the credit for building on it with good lifestyle choices

5) A genuinely understanding boss who sent us an email saying "make your own choices of whether to work in the office or at home, nothing is more important than your health" - and actually meant it.

Sounds ideal, great way of thinking.....it helps when have a boss that is both understanding and is able to reduce the stress on the workforce.......there must be high stress and an atmosphere of anxiety in workplaces everywhere, excellent leadership and empathy will make a big difference to how well it works out for all.?

37 minutes ago, winkie said:

What is the coronavirus doing to the mental health and wellbeing of the people?.......is it health or wealth that worries us most??

Some of us have been worrying about scary sh!t all our lives. Now it’s actually happening*, I’m feeling pretty good. I can do this. 

*I’m too young to have understood the AIDS message in the 80s and everything else that has happened during my lifetime I’ve been quite ambivalent to but this? This looked like it would be real from the off in Wuhan.

It's a worrying time.  Perhaps the most worrying for the UK since 1945.

Of course it will be bad for mental health.

Being stuck indoors is bad for your mental health.  Not being able to have social contact is bad for your mental health.  Sudden loss of access to watching all your favourite sports, cinema and other entertainment is bad for your mental health.  Worrying about your elderly friends and relatives is bad for your mental health.  Losing your job is very bad for your mental health, and plenty will be lost.

Unlike all of the other so-called "crises" that seem to be in the news every other week, this ACTUALLY IS a crisis, the first that almost everyone in the country will ever have experienced. 

They will be anxious, just as people were anxious from 1939-45.

There are lots of positive things you can do, from engaging in hobbies, phoning the people you can't meet up with, getting some sunshine in the garden...but it can't totally hide the underlying anxiety that we are now going to have a year of.

I'm ok at the moment but its such a strange time and the lack of information is whats getting to me.

If it was 1939 to 45 we could see the enemy or at leased do something this thing is so strange at present.

As people we know die and possible trapped at home for months mental and physical health will suffer/

For people spending 4 months trapped at home will they not just get infected once they come out ? 

Would find being stuck at home a god-send. I have shed loads to do on the house.

seem to spend my whole life at work. 

I could keep myself busy easily for 6 months with DIY projects back-log. 

could get lots done in the garden and allotment (next door) also. Allotment may prove to be a useful source of food also, but not fully productive yet, give it a few weeks.

could learn some piano, write a book.

its not like the old days when you didn’t have TV or internet. And my life is rich with hobbies.

i seem to be going from probably a 7/10 panic to maybe a 1/10 relative calm.

but I’m young so will probably be OK. I’m just worried about the logistics of looking after my old relatives. 

And maybe paying the mortgage, that could be an issue. 

also staying at home in the beautiful summer would be really excellent. 

at the end of the day I can’t influence if my relatives will be OK I could use a lot of energy worrying about them, but whatever happens happens.

I would not compare this to WW2. This is not that drastic. 

Its surreal that for sure, but unless your over 60 or in poor health why worry about it? If your not going to die yourself, then there is no help worrying about it.

if you are over 60 then your probably loaded and could easily isolate yourself for months on end. 

would be nice to have all the coffin dodgers off the roads! 

Re: The virus. I'm absolutely fine, don't know what the worry is all about, people should really man up. What is it with the toilet paper too?

CV doesn't have a 20%+ mortality rate, it doesn't turn people into brainless slobbering zombies (any more than normal).

However, if there are serious shortages of essentials, or even just basic food or running water somehow at a worst case, we'll find out just how far people will go to survive. I have a reasonable prepping mindset and so while it wasn't the Russians stopping fuel supplies, thus causing supermarkets to run out of the above basics due to transport shutting down (No one's an accurate clairvoyant), I'll use this as a test of my backups for when they do.

I’m not particularly stressed as I am in a good position financial, I would be stressed otherwise though.

Parents are in their 60’s but otherwise ok, so just the usual stress there.

I see the yanks have gone panic buying ammo to go with their bog roll which has in turn made me go out and buy the limits on my license for .308, .357 and .22. I’ll be annoyed if their panic stops me going and doing my favourite hobby!

28 minutes ago, jiltedjen said:

I would not compare this to WW2. This is not that drastic. 

It's not as bad as WW2  for lots of reasons - but as I said above, I don't think it's hyperbole to say it's the most serious situation SINCE 1945.

24 minutes ago, Huggy said:

Re: The virus. I'm absolutely fine, don't know what the worry is all about, people should really man up

?

I was waiting to see who would be the first to use that tiresome phrase.

It's easy to say that if you're not vulnerable to the virus yourself, and not about to lose your job because you work in travel or leisure and just lost your job, or all your customers for a year.

I won't admit it too widely, but I quite enjoy a good disaster. 

I think it is the engineer in me, something to fix. 

Anyway if it gets really bad we can just go full on Mad Max Fury Road

Someone I know was saying the boss was telling their staff if it makes you feel anxious don't watch or listen to the news.....is that good practical advise??

36 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

It's not as bad as WW2  for lots of reasons - but as I said above, I don't think it's hyperbole to say it's the most serious situation SINCE 1945.

?

I was waiting to see who would be the first to use that tiresome phrase.

It's easy to say that if you're not vulnerable to the virus yourself, and not about to lose your job because you work in travel or leisure and just lost your job, or all your customers for a year.

RE:- 1945, if you are correct, this economy is screwed! It will be the "CTRL ALT DEL" moment some on these hallowed pages have been predicting over the past 15 years.

RE:- travel and leisure, that's a large part of the UK economy there...in some places outside London, that's all there is. Anyone want to buy a charming compact and deceptively spacious fishermans cottage in Cornwall?

31 minutes ago, Roman Roady said:

RE:- 1945, if you are correct, this economy is screwed! It will be the "CTRL ALT DEL" moment some on these hallowed pages have been predicting over the past 15 years.

RE:- travel and leisure, that's a large part of the UK economy there...in some places outside London, that's all there is. Anyone want to buy a charming compact and deceptively spacious fishermans cottage in Cornwall?

Whether it’s a reset I don’t know, because it will be shorter in duration that the credit crunch and WW2 - but 2 months from now when whole industries have had 3 months of literally no income, and anything from 20-50% of The workforce is off sick, it’s uncharted waters in The modern capitalist system 

Archived