House Price Crash Forum

Will Corona virus cause a house price crash?

HOLA441

Ha, I actually posted on that Mumsnet thread someone linked earlier - I'm the one who's pulling out of a flat purchase. I am really hoping prices lower because of this, because they are crazy.

It's absolutely nuts that 2 people on good salaries who each save half their salary on a good month and live in a small flat, drive an old banger and have SIM-only contracts...have to save for several years......for 15% of a 2-bed flat. And then somehow expect to make money on it! It can't go on forever - what next, a million pounds for a studio?

Going for my daily lockdown exercise has made me realise how much I'd really like a garden, so hopefully after this is over we might be able to actually afford one, not in the council estate part of town.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
43 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

Potential buyers on here, what position are you in to get a bargain? 100% cash purchase or will you need a (40% deposit) mortgage?

Or how much do you need local prices to drop to be able to buy cash?

Been advised I Can borrow some money to buy if something good comes up.  Any type of 2-3 bed house for 2-300 would be good.

Hopefully when I'm back working will take a fixed mortgage for as long as possible.

HOLA445

Before the coronavirus I was of the opinion that if prices were 20% lower I would get involved and actively get viewings with a view to getting a bit more off under the asking price. Obviously a no-go back then so only have been bookmarking places in case they did fall.

TBH I am not still not sure we will get a crash like that quickly, and probably this might take years by the stealth method of flat nominal prices being eroded by inflation. 

Forced sellers may be interesting but I can see the government propping things up with more money should this play out longer or worse than expected.

Still, let's hope for some people waking up and smelling the coffee such as this:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-64679482.html

HOLA446
HOLA447
1 hour ago, Pop321 said:

Banks acting like this they will bring a self fulfilling prophecy and the fall they actually fear.

Probably illustrates how much they are expecting the fall because they must know this is the case. 

Just read the article and Barclays state this is a temporary measure. However, how many temporary measures tend to become semi-permanent? Even a short term credit squeeze could snowball as you suggest.

HOLA448

HOLA449
HOLA4410
11 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

Potential buyers on here, what position are you in to get a bargain? 100% cash purchase or will you need a (40% deposit) mortgage?

If any drop brought the average price to 3 or 3.5 average wage, then I could get something (flat, 2nd hand new-build ratcage) for cash, or something better (a decent 3 bed semi or something like that) for cash and a 25-40% mortgage. Back of fag packet calculations but nothing too extravagent.

HOLA4411
11 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

20% drop and I can get my forever house cash. I would feel like the biggest tool on the planet if I bought now. 

HOLA4412

Re Barclays - this is interesting.

Banks tendency with free central bank money is to push it into housing. However, given the demand to support SMEs, I can see Banks being 'forced' to support SMEs. They would then hedge the risk by reducing the domestic mortgage portfolio.

As said before, temporary measures have a pattern to become permanent and more widespread.

HOLA4413

With massive unemployment and a credit collapse looming I think house prices will collapse by much more than 20%. A 20% fall would do little more than knock the froth off.

The 1990s are a long time ago now. Many do not remember being offered houses for a few hundred pounds. Rows of terraces in Manchester were being marketed for a few pounds at one point. And nobody wanted them. I can remember seeing three bed semis in Didsbury for sale at 70k and thinking it was expensive.

Sounds unbelievable, I know, but that's how it was. Twenty years of bubble have distorted people's perception of a house's worth massively. If the credit bubble bursts, a lot of people are made unemployed and cannot service their mortgages and some people sadly die I think houses will return to their actual, non-bubble prices.

HOLA4414
51 minutes ago, Biggus said:

Sounds unbelievable, I know, but that's how it was. Twenty years of bubble have distorted people's perception of a house's worth massively. If the credit bubble bursts, a lot of people are made unemployed and cannot service their mortgages and some people sadly die I think houses will return to their actual, non-bubble prices.

Yes, as I may have mentioned here before, a lot of this is simply a mass psychosis. In the 1890's the Australian house price bubble burst, and the next time Australian housing rose at above inflation was in the late 1960's. If you were born in Melbourne or Sydney in the late 1880's and died in the early 1960's- an excellent lifespan then- you would have lived your entire life without a living memory of house prices rising in real terms. 

I remember my father telling me when he migrated to Australia in the mid 1950's that it simply was accepted that Australian house prices rose at no more than the annual CPI and often less. 

That is what I would hope would happen now, in large parts of the UK like London, Oxford, Cambridge, but also around the world in Vancouver, Toronto, Sydney, Auckland, Melbourne, and Hong Kong. 

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
1 hour ago, Will! said:

I've received an e-mail from HSBC offering me a mortgage payment holidays of up to 3 months, with no risk to my credit rating.  I don't have a mortgage.

Sounds very generous. I wonder if they will offer it to customers with mortgages too ??

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
On 25/03/2020 at 21:35, simon2 said:

Before the coronavirus I was of the opinion that if prices were 20% lower I would get involved and actively get viewings with a view to getting a bit more off under the asking price. Obviously a no-go back then so only have been bookmarking places in case they did fall.

TBH I am not still not sure we will get a crash like that quickly, and probably this might take years by the stealth method of flat nominal prices being eroded by inflation. 

Forced sellers may be interesting but I can see the government propping things up with more money should this play out longer or worse than expected.

Still, let's hope for some people waking up and smelling the coffee such as this:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-64679482.html

UK credit rating has been downgraded and they have barely started, i can see them losing control financially and socially pretty quickly if this escalates.

HOLA4421
On 25/03/2020 at 20:38, PeanutButter said:

I have approx £70,000 in cash. Living East-central London. A flat which offers a somewhat liveable situation (~68 sq. metres minimum with 2 bedrooms) would currently be about £425,000 at the low end. I need a 50% drop for such a flat to be £212,500 to have a 40% deposit (£85,000) for it. I can save £1000 per month. So I would need 15 months' more time to save up the extra bit. I think my chances are probably low of this ever happening, but I am the market, I am the demand goddamnit.

If they would stop throwing money in, interest only btl mortgages (only works if market is basically a Ponzi scheme!) QE, help-to-buy, shared ownership (ffs! honestly, if the whole flat is too expensive, sellers need to lower the price, don't have someone buy a sliver of it and rent the other 80%!!, what madness) then I'd probably be set up to get a place. As it happens, because of the year I was born I am in no position.

I feel fed up and tired of working in an office all day and paying my landlord such a slice (cocksure agent once told me the landlord owns 90 flats in London and "buys flats like we go shopping")... Tired of housemates, tired of having no furniture, tired of being crammed into one room at an age where I thought I'd have married, had kids, have a car (not things I necessarily want now, but it'd be nice to have the capacity)... Honestly, and I know my position is better than the majority of my peers. God help them. My heart breaks. And at the end of your life your like rass, I was doing time but I weren't event behind bars...

HOLA4422
3 minutes ago, godnose said:

I have approx £70,000 in cash. Living East-central London. A flat which offers a somewhat liveable situation (~68 sq. metres minimum with 2 bedrooms) would currently be about £425,000 at the low end. I need a 50% drop for such a flat to be £212,500 to have a 40% deposit (£85,000) for it. I can save £1000 per month. So I would need 15 months' more time to save up the extra bit. I think my chances are probably low of this ever happening, but I am the market, I am the demand goddamnit.

If they would stop throwing money in, interest only btl mortgages (only works if market is basically a Ponzi scheme!) QE, help-to-buy, shared ownership (ffs! honestly, if the whole flat is too expensive, sellers need to lower the price, don't have someone buy a sliver of it and rent the other 80%!!, what madness) then I'd probably be set up to get a place. As it happens, because of the year I was born I am in no position.

I feel fed up and tired of working in an office all day and paying my landlord such a slice (cocksure agent once told me the landlord owns 90 flats in London and "buys flats like we go shopping")... Tired of housemates, tired of having no furniture, tired of being crammed into one room at an age where I thought I'd have married, had kids, have a car (not things I necessarily want now, but it'd be nice to have the capacity)... Honestly, and I know my position is better than the majority of my peers. God help them. My heart breaks. And at the end of your life your like rass, I was doing time but I weren't event behind bars...

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
7 hours ago, godnose said:

Hey, yeh sure. I'm 33, (going on23!?)

Well you are still very young and one thing that is certain in life is constant change, especially if you live with a level of dissatisfaction you display. It sounds like you just need a different perspective. Evaluate your skillset, think about what motivates you and take steps to move in that direction . This may involve starting a business, moving abroad or career change, but at 33, do something (and OK if that must be a mortgage and a purchase in the next 6 months, just do it, and bargain hard- the governments intention is to get prices higher again). You are still young enough to take risks and come out the other side if things don't work out. It may not feel that way now, but you are.

FWIW when I was 33 I was living in a shared house on Hendon, London and felt very similar to you. I am now 50 and made some big decisions that worked out well. 33 seems a very very long time ago.

Best of luck.

Edited by desertorchid

HOLA4425
6 hours ago, godnose said:

With all due respect if possible with your job, plz get the ****** out of London. Its soulless shit hole. With £70k as deposit, you can buy decent home in Glasgow-Edinburgh belt. Your money goes far here. I can see clearly how stressed you are. No point in trying to stick out in London if it doesn't provide you decent quality of life.