House Price Crash Forum

I found that a pretty difficult budget to follow.... It was a real eye opener as to how complex the tax rules have become.... 

I'm giving this relief, but it only applies to this small technical definition, but I can go further... I'm giving this relief, but it only applies to this small technical definition, but I can go further... I'm giving this relief, but it only applies to this small technical definition, but I can go further

24 minutes ago, hurlerontheditch said:

Not seen a thread on this

just had to listen to "get it done" 15 times in a row.. 

Jesus wept! 

It is a pretty lame budget. 

A few tweaks, but nothing very substantial. 

Though just added 2% for foreign buyers. 

But now bailing out private property owners on cladding. 

4 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

It is a pretty lame budget. 

A few tweaks, but nothing very substantial. 

Though just added 2% for foreign buyers. 

But now bailing out private property owners on cladding. 

Well FTSE isnt rocketting

18 minutes ago, regprentice said:

I found that a pretty difficult budget to follow.... It was a real eye opener as to how complex the tax rules have become.... 

I'm giving this relief, but it only applies to this small technical definition, but I can go further... I'm giving this relief, but it only applies to this small technical definition, but I can go further... I'm giving this relief, but it only applies to this small technical definition, but I can go further

That is because of how our political system works. Their primary job is to win votes every five years and you do that with appearances rather than useful policy.

Just ask them how many self build houses have been built as a result of their "land available for self build register". How many councils have added a single item to that register? It is all just optics for a broadly unintelligent population.

Edited by dugsbody
44 minutes ago, regprentice said:

They say the UK tax code is 17,000 pages long...the Hong Kong tax code is just a few hundred.  May be myth...but I can believe it.

22 minutes ago, Wayward said:

They say the UK tax code is 17,000 pages long...the Hong Kong tax code is just a few hundred.  May be myth...but I can believe it.

The only fair tax rate is 0% across the board.

11 minutes ago, Trump Invective said:

Looks like the markets are wholly unimpressed. Not surprised - spending on top of spending in a time of crisis upon stagnation.

Ah well 

Or, to put it another way, he just did what they were expecting (i.e. some amount of government spending was 'priced in' if you like).

The issue here is that people won't produce and consume when they are ill or in self-isolation.  No amount of monetary or fiscal tinkering will change that.  The Chancellor has just tried to make sure the disruption doesn't take out half of small businesses.  He's done a decent enough budget, but he can't cure the virus so he can't turn the market falls into rises.