House Price Crash Forum

Not the coronavirus, that was totally unpredictable, but the collapse it seems to be causing in the 'markets' 

Just why did no one see it coming. Surely the new paradigm, low unterest rate, magic money tree economy is as sound as a pound. 

?????????

12 minutes ago, Patfig said:

FTSE just fell below 6000

Bigger question at the moment is - will the US markets open today and even if they do how rapidly will they reach the breaks and  close.

1 hour ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Not the coronavirus, that was totally unpredictable, but the collapse it seems to be causing in the 'markets' 

Just why did no one see it coming. Surely the new paradigm, low unterest rate, magic money tree economy is as sound as a pound. 

?????????

The coronavirus wasn't unpredictable. Pandemics have happened before. So it's not even a black swan event. It was inexcusable of the liberal elite to leave the economy so finely balanced that something like this can cause such a reaction. 

2 hours ago, stop_the_craziness said:

Only some of them. Others will be making money.  Again

When the very concept of "value" is under attack, that does not mean a whole lot.

1 hour ago, longgone said:

i`m sure a few posters borrowed on their home to release funds to invest in stocks as the return was higher than the debt.  ?

....Mine still is by some way ? so not sure what your  point is ? My house isn't my pension so by choosing not to pay completely off my mortgage and putting a little more into a pension rather than a bigger house or BTL - I am not speculating on the housing market right ? Isn't that a good thing ?

The good news is the giveaway 40% tax relief on pension contributions is now unlikely to be axed - I might even put a drop or two more in....? And since  I am over 55 - sort of like an ISA with bells on....

6 minutes ago, GregBowman said:

....Mine still is by some way ? so not sure what your  point is ? My house isn't my pension so by choosing not to pay completely off my mortgage and putting a little more into a pension rather than a bigger house or BTL - I am not speculating on the housing market right ? Isn't that a good thing ?

The good news is the giveaway 40% tax relief on pension contributions is now unlikely to be axed - I might even put a drop or two more in....? And since  I am over 55 - sort of like an ISA with bells on....

i was not sure who did it but remember posters mentioning doing this. i always thought it was a risky strategy but then i`m timid when it comes to investing.  

i always assumed that if inflation rose so would IR and stocks would go down a sort of double whammy effect ?. The next year could be interesting though i`m going to open a share account for the first time since 2002 !. 

i`m predicting some of the stocks will comes right back up and some will  stay down or go all together after all the covid19 malarkey, now just to find which one`s LOL. 

i`m sure your well preserved in other areas though for the storms like gene kelly just need a lamppost.  ;) 

7 minutes ago, longgone said:

i was not sure who did it but remember posters mentioning doing this. i always thought it was a risky strategy but then i`m timid when it comes to investing.  

i always assumed that if inflation rose so would IR and stocks would go down a sort of double whammy effect ?. The next year could be interesting though i`m going to open a share account for the first time since 2002 !. 

i`m predicting some of the stocks will comes right back up and some will  stay down or go all together after all the covid19 malarkey, now just to find which one`s LOL. 

i`m sure your well preserved in other areas though for the storms like gene kelly just need a lamppost.  ;) 

Ha Ha there is no guarantee -still earning at 40% so the tax relief into a pension is attractive , got gold, cars,motorbikes and cash  which 6 weeks ago thought was too much perhaps 12% of my total wealth ... now feeling smug.

I would highly recommend the book by our fellow HPCer @wish I could afford one

From Zero to Financial independence

I use it as sort of guide and keep coming back to it. I am just looking to jog along with these investments since in my 3rd act and still building businesses at 58 - so generating money the approach appealed to me because it was about making a reasonable return not being unrealistic

I got my health, a lovely wife, two kids who are going great guns and a business partner who is tolerant of my wild imaginings than I have every right to deserve - they are my real wealth  

2 hours ago, Si1 said:

The coronavirus wasn't unpredictable. Pandemics have happened before. So it's not even a black swan event. It was inexcusable of the liberal elite to leave the economy so finely balanced that something like this can cause such a reaction. 

Wtf is the "liberal elite"?

You mean the "conservative elite"?

It's just the same old story - we are surrounded by cretins who can't think systemically! They don't see risk. Hence the "it's just like flu" ******wits, everywhere. There are very few who can actually think. These guys can! 

Edited by gruffydd
3 hours ago, GregBowman said:

Ha Ha there is no guarantee -still earning at 40% so the tax relief into a pension is attractive , got gold, cars,motorbikes and cash  which 6 weeks ago thought was too much perhaps 12% of my total wealth ... now feeling smug.

I would highly recommend the book by our fellow HPCer @wish I could afford one

From Zero to Financial independence

I use it as sort of guide and keep coming back to it. I am just looking to jog along with these investments since in my 3rd act and still building businesses at 58 - so generating money the approach appealed to me because it was about making a reasonable return not being unrealistic

I got my health, a lovely wife, two kids who are going great guns and a business partner who is tolerant of my wild imaginings than I have every right to deserve - they are my real wealth  

Indeed heath is the most valuable and precious commodity the only true foundation, however money does help in times of ill health.

having health and in your case a family is certainly a driver into financial freedom, bit like cooking really, when you cook for others you try your best to make a tasty meal, but when you cook for yourself shoving something in the microwave will do. 

Like you say though there is no guarantee with this investing lark, however i would imagine buying the dip is wise if its a real one that is. 

6 hours ago, Si1 said:

Great point. Tptb have mismanaged the world. 

They crave money and power not stability, sustainability snd fairness 

We all knew the markets around the world were due a correction after such a bull run and this is with the UK and much of Europe on life support still from 2008. We just needed something to trigger it, Corona is it. And yes the virus has been underestimated by many "Flu kills more mentality..."