HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
21 hours ago, highcontrast said:

https://www.ft.com/content/6fa6fe7a-5d45-11ea-8033-fa40a0d65a98

Not seen any mention of this yet. A step in the right direction if it happens(?). Isn't there already a nominal/paltry surcharge for foreign buyers? Is this just an increase on it?

There is an extra charge for 2nd homes but I have no idea if anyone is checking foreign buyers

HOLA448
HOLA449
4 hours ago, hurlerontheditch said:

interesting

i always wanted to know who owned these two huge houses opposite me  which are empty

Good chance it’ll be a Caribbean entity. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-42666274

We’ve sold our land to foreigners and money launderers. We’ve gifted swathes of it to the indolent gentry. We hire it out to airbnb before our own workers. We use it to replace rickety pensions.

Broken, every aspect.

HOLA4410
12 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

Good chance it’ll be a Caribbean entity. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-42666274

We’ve sold our land to foreigners and money launderers. We’ve gifted swathes of it to the indolent gentry. We hire it out to airbnb before our own workers. We use it to replace rickety pensions.

Broken, every aspect.

yes

Lulu investment holdings limited....british virgin islands 5.3m in 2009

and this other monstrosity is currently up for sale for around 13.5 million http://www.blackdiamond-lifestyle.com/upload/pdf/gordon_house_eng.pdf

paid 9.75 million in 2013 for it

all three houses are empty and not lived in, save for 2 weeks a year when the saudis arrive in the summer to get away from the desert heat

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
15 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

Broken, every aspect.

A perfect summary of the tragic situation we're in here in the UK

(P.s. very eloquently put too).

HOLA4413
3 hours ago, hurlerontheditch said:

all three houses are empty and not lived in, save for 2 weeks a year when the saudis arrive in the summer to get away from the desert heat

Bingo.

One of the reasons I struggle to understand some people’s rigid dislike of electric cars/wind farms/anything that weakens our addiction to fossil fuels - because heaven forbid we become less dependent on ME oil. 

And the desert is growing.

HOLA4414
2 hours ago, winkie said:

Many of them are lived in, paid live-in staff.......empty homes are more vulnerable, best keep them aired and heated.......some have staff employed to care for family pets.?

My parents were onsite housekeepers for a Saudi oil family’s UK home at one time. They had to remind the millionaire to pay them every month. Sometimes he ‘forgot’ for 3 months at a time. 

These are not people we should be accommodating with our finite resource of land.

HOLA4415
16 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

My parents were onsite housekeepers for a Saudi oil family’s UK home at one time. They had to remind the millionaire to pay them every month. Sometimes he ‘forgot’ for 3 months at a time. 

These are not people we should be accommodating with our finite resource of land.

There are plenty of people working in homes for all sorts of people from all places.....maids, nanny, cooks......not all of them are there on their own free will, very many will be paid with food and lodging and don't leave the house.......we still have slaves working here.?

HOLA4416
1 hour ago, winkie said:

There are plenty of people working in homes for all sorts of people from all places.....maids, nanny, cooks......not all of them are there on their own free will, very many will be paid with food and lodging and don't leave the house.......we still have slaves working here.?

Like the free will of the construction workers in Qatar. 

I maintain that our mental subservience to oil nations and unwillingness to free ourselves from the fossil fuel teat is a form of mass stockholm syndrome. 

HOLA4417