House Price Crash Forum
gruffydd

Impact of coronavirus on economy - seeing first major impacts on the ground

Moving the conversation back on topic, here’s my economic impact of Covid19 anecdotes:

Our cleaners turned up yesterday as usual. They clean for lots people in the area, I’m assuming plenty of elderly, 50% of their customers have cancelled. They are obviously self employed, said: “It’s like a bad flu, if you catch it, you’re off for a week, if you self isolate for a month, you starve”.

Daughter’s friend’s parents have a couple of flats in London on short term lets - business customers apparently. “Accidental LLs” (lol) from not selling their flats after buying the family home and moving away. Both tenants moved out last week and they have no takers from April. Desperately on phone to agents trying to get long term tenants in at “a massively discounted rent”. No takers as of yesterday. 

5 hours ago, Bear Goggles said:

Moving the conversation back on topic, here’s my economic impact of Covid19 anecdotes:

Our cleaners turned up yesterday as usual. They clean for lots people in the area, I’m assuming plenty of elderly, 50% of their customers have cancelled. They are obviously self employed, said: “It’s like a bad flu, if you catch it, you’re off for a week, if you self isolate for a month, you starve”.

Daughter’s friend’s parents have a couple of flats in London on short term lets - business customers apparently. “Accidental LLs” (lol) from not selling their flats after buying the family home and moving away. Both tenants moved out last week and they have no takers from April. Desperately on phone to agents trying to get long term tenants in at “a massively discounted rent”. No takers as of yesterday. 

A local cleaning firm that looks after a few houses on my road now sends its cleaners round in what looks like a full hazmat suit/mask. The first time I saw a couple of them going in to a house I was half expecting to see them to emerge carrying a body bag. Safe but sweaty seems to be the approach.

No worries, those flats will soon be being fought over by the legion of newly separated that will follow a couple of months of social distancing. 

Edited by Confusion of VIs

8 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

No worries, those flats will soon be being fought over by the legion of newly separated that will follow a couple of months of social distancing. 

I expect the domestic violence and murder rate to increase.

I expect children to miss out on meals (no school lunches), and for violent partners to react badly to being in prolonged contact with their children and wives.

All very depressing. And no escape to refuges.

1 hour ago, PeanutButter said:

I expect children to miss out on meals (no school lunches), and for violent partners to react badly to being in prolonged contact with their children and wives.

A close friend of mine is a recent escapee from an emotionally abusive relationship.  The thought of all those partners (and possibly children) who will be literally trapped within abusive households for an unspecified amount of time is horribly bleak.

2 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

Especially those that have rushed out to stock up on crates of Stella Artois, "Shudders".

35 minutes ago, stop_the_craziness said:

A close friend of mine is a recent escapee from an emotionally abusive relationship.  The thought of all those partners (and possibly children) who will be literally trapped within abusive households for an unspecified amount of time is horribly bleak.

I hope they can make it through this turmoil.

It takes an average of 8 attempts for an abused partner to leave in the UK. I fear that many will be prevented from leaving, and the escalation in abuse is inevitable. All the hidden indoor horrors we like to pretend don’t exist in our modern country.

On 21/03/2020 at 00:05, scottbeard said:

All those middle class doctors are coming in quite handy at the moment.  Even ones that can't change a wheel on a car.

And the middle class scientists who are busy developing tests, drugs and vaccines.

2 hours ago, Dorkins said:

And the middle class scientists who are busy developing tests, drugs and vaccines.

Chloroquine - the anti malarial drug - seems to have been helping patients big time in China and France. It costs 5p a go! 

Of course that means there is no money to be made from it.....

Yes it needs more testing and has side effects.

Perhaps people should have been panic buying tonic water  - its related to quinine - instead of bog rolls. Just joking!

Edited by MARTINX9

16 minutes ago, MARTINX9 said:

Chloroquine - the anti malarial drug - seems to have been helping patients big time in China and France. It costs 5p a go! 

Yes it needs more testing and has side effects.

Perhaps people should have been panic buying tonic water  - its related to quinine - instead of bog rolls. Just joking!

so a simply G&T is the answer ;) 

11 minutes ago, longgone said:

so a simply G&T is the answer ;) 

Won't do you any harm - but you would probably need to drink several litres  every few hours given the quantities in tonic water. So it would have to be supermarket own brand.

Perhaps 'fever tree' had method in their brand name?' 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fever-Tree

Edited by MARTINX9

1 minute ago, MARTINX9 said:

Won't do you any harm - but you would probably need to drink several litres given the quantities in tonic water

Perhaps 'fever tree' had method in their brand name?' 

😁

49 minutes ago, MARTINX9 said:

Chloroquine costs 5p a go because a team of middle-class organic chemists and chemical engineers designed and built a manufacturing process which can churn it out extremely efficiently. In fairness the gowned-up operators at the manufacturing site will be mostly working class but nowadays manufacturing processes are being designed to need as little operator input during production as possible in order to minimise the potential for human error and to prevent contamination of the drug substance with microbes shed by humans.

By the way, even at 5p a go there is money to be made from it, if there wasn't then nobody would be offering it to the market at 5p a go. That 16p a packet ibuprofen on supermarket shelves doesn't get put there because some altruistic billionaire really likes losing money on painkillers, it is being sold at a profit.

Edited by Dorkins

If anything I hope the good old bar of soap makes a comeback.  Can't stand those crappy latherless handwashes, also all those bottles of overly scented shower gel...what a waste of plastic.

16 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

That is depressing 

On the positive side, modern life has become way too hectic.  A few months off from constant busyness may also do a lot of people a lot of good, as well as remind them that, for example, kids don’t NEED to be driven around to after school events four times a week in order to learn, have fun and grow up.  Just chill folks, for the rest of the year maybe.

13 hours ago, scottbeard said:

That is depressing 

On the positive side, modern life has become way too hectic.  A few months off from constant busyness may also do a lot of people a lot of good, as well as remind them that, for example, kids don’t NEED to be driven around to after school events four times a week in order to learn, have fun and grow up.  Just chill folks, for the rest of the year maybe.

I am just now learning how this is a thing. It feels nuts. Parents become logistics machines. It definitely makes me want to escape. This working from home has reaffirmed my plan to become financially independent so I control when and where I work.

14 hours ago, scottbeard said:

Just chill folks, for the rest of the year maybe.

Except for those that have to go out to work while most hide at home. Do you think they are chilling?

Edited by workingatthepyramid

14 hours ago, scottbeard said:

On the positive side, modern life has become way too hectic.  A few months off from constant busyness may also do a lot of people a lot of good

I'm already finding at work that all the cobblers "work for work's sake" projects can suddenly be "postponed" and all the pointless "talking for the sake of talking" meetings are getting cancelled.  There's now enough time to properly concentrate on the stuff that matters and it's brilliant.

So for me, work life has improved.  And now I also don't have to drive a car or wear proper shoes.  Brilliant.  I could seriously get used to this level of social distancing.

If we go on full "lockdown" then I might change my tune, but right now it feels like my normal life but with all the annoying **** bits taken out.

**Edited in light of workingthepyramid's post that I am very fortunate to be in this position and not everyone is.

Edited by stop_the_craziness
Sensitivity

10 minutes ago, stop_the_craziness said:

**Edited in light of workingthepyramid's post that I am very fortunate to be in this position and not everyone is.

Thank you mate.

I  was just going to post a bit of a rant about the lack of empathy being demonstrated all over the place atm, more often than not from people who are usually the first to signal their virtue. Faith in humanity restored :)

7 hours ago, workingatthepyramid said:

Thank you mate.

I  was just going to post a bit of a rant about the lack of empathy being demonstrated all over the place atm, more often than not from people who are usually the first to signal their virtue. Faith in humanity restored :)

No worries.  I was shocked at my own lack of consideration as soon I read your post, so you gave me a bit of a much-needed kick! 

9 hours ago, workingatthepyramid said:

Except for those that have to go out to work while most hide at home. Do you think they are chilling?

When not working, yes.   

I think you and others may have misunderstood my post, because you quoted me as saying "Just chill folks, for the rest of the year maybe"  as if that was my entire post.

It wasn't!

What I said was "A few months off from constant busyness may also do a lot of people a lot of good, as well as remind them that, for example, kids don’t NEED to be driven around to after school events four times a week in order to learn, have fun and grow up.  Just chill folks, for the rest of the year maybe."

What I meant was: modern life seems to be about burning the candle at both ends, work hard, play hard, make your kids work hard, make sure your kids play hard.

I appreciate that most people still need to do a day's work, whether that's still in their normal workplace, or working from home. And looking after the kids at home whilst trying to work is more difficult than people just going out to a normal job.  It's not the case the country just gets a year of idle vacation.

But come end of the working day, or at weekends, or on days off now there is no option: you just have to chill.  No pubbing, clubbing, after school activities, IKEA trips followed by cursing flat pack furniture followed trips to the tip with the packaging.  Just chill.

Play some board games with the kids, put on a DVD, go to bed an hour earlier.

It will be good for many people.

That's what I meant.

9 hours ago, workingatthepyramid said:

Where I do accept a fair cop though is people whose work gives them extra exposure to COVID-19 itself, such as NHS workers.  They are in for what will likely be the worst year of their lives, and some cases sadly cost them their lives.

They won't be chilling, and I take my hat off to them for the work they are doing.

1 hour ago, stop_the_craziness said:

No worries.  I was shocked at my own lack of consideration as soon I read your post, so you gave me a bit of a much-needed kick! 

I must admit that I wasn't really thinking of key workers when I wrote my post, more about the others, so @workingatthepyramid definitely made me stop and think.

On 22/03/2020 at 07:41, PeanutButter said:

I work for a county council (they're responsible for adults social care, children's social care, domestic violence service etc). Yes they're worrying times but the most vulnerable kids are being kept in school where possible. My biggest concern is people being hidden from society so nobody notices the bruises or the gaunt look from malnutrition. Staff working flat out to minimise impact (whilst also themselves trying to work from home etc).

2 hours ago, Sausage said:

I work for a county council (they're responsible for adults social care, children's social care, domestic violence service etc). Yes they're worrying times but the most vulnerable kids are being kept in school where possible. My biggest concern is people being hidden from society so nobody notices the bruises or the gaunt look from malnutrition. Staff working flat out to minimise impact (whilst also themselves trying to work from home etc).

That’s good about the at risk kids. 

I’ll never forget Baby P.