House Price Crash Forum

Impact of coronavirus on economy - seeing first major impacts on the ground

On 18/03/2020 at 16:41, moonriver said:

Interesting post.

We tried this method out the last few Sundays by going down to the local mini supermarket early morning, and as you say, we too found no shortage of anything.

My local guy goes to the wholesaler at 5 every morning he says no shortage of anything there 

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, GregBowman said:

really enjoyed watching bogled eyed white middle class middle class professionals running around like headless chickens - serves them right 

Bit racist, mate. 

Either there is actually a shortage of bog rolls and the like, or the supermarkets are fecking useless at keeping their shelves stocked.

Been looking for some bog rolls, handwash and tins of anything for a week now and Morrisons, Asda, Tesco and Aldi have all sold out  of the lot..........and are still out.....lol.

Well done to these zombies businesses for failing miserably again.

On 01/03/2020 at 19:00, Arpeggio said:

When this is all over I’ll be laughing at the hysteria over this corona virus bull sh#t.

This is the current death toll in the worst hit countries it's rising at as per https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Hopefully it's now clearer that this isn't a laughing matter.  And this is only deaths - no indication of recoverees with lung damage etc.

image.png.f69d011b1e1a4b8d9ff835390dc2c8fe.png

In times of survival of the fittest, the middle classes usually get culled as they are used to buying in resources, rather than being resourceful.

And the wheel turns.  Speaking of wheels, many people can't even change a wheel on a car.

Most are about as much use a a chocolate teapot in times of trials.

Edited by Social Justice League
19 hours ago, Social Justice League said:

In times of survival of the fittest, the middle classes usually get culled as they are used to buying in resources, rather than being resourceful.

And the wheel turns.  Speaking of wheels, many people can't even change a wheel on a car.

"Life is too short to be spent in the company of people who are not resourceful."  Jeff Bezos.    (Subject to my not memorising the exact wording).

"I never employ anyone I remotely suspect of being middle class, mummy's boys all of em, bl**ding useless".   This was a guy running some workshop in North London decades ago being interviewed on, at a guess, BBC Nationwide, also subject to not quite exact wording.

20 hours ago, GregBowman said:

My local guy goes to the wholesaler at 5 every morning he says no shortage of anything there 

Interesting, I've just walked back to the house from our shop and the guy said he went to stock up his empty store to the cash and carry at 7 this morning and was only able to spend £29 on stock.

There was some stuff there but not things people want right now.

He added with a smile that he's cleaning up and other than some exceptions he's not that expensive for a small shop.

2 hours ago, Bluestone59 said:

"Life is too short to be spent in the company of people who are not resourceful."  Jeff Bezos.    (Subject to my not memorising the exact wording).

"I never employ anyone I remotely suspect of being middle class, mummy's boys all of em, bl**ding useless".   This was a guy running some workshop in North London decades ago being interviewed on, at a guess, BBC Nationwide, also subject to not quite exact wording.

Since when was being middle at anything a badge of distinction ? I think they are about to find out that damaged people (who have been through the working class grind) are dangerous they know how to survive 

The question is can they........

Edited by GregBowman
21 hours ago, Social Justice League said:

Absolutely 

3 hours ago, Social Justice League said:

It's a bloody farce, as usual.  The supermarkets aren't fit for purpose imo, like so many "modern" businesses.

Fecking useless, the lot of them.

Should they really have a business model that caters for panicking Fwits?

One neighbour seems very proud of having a reserve supply of 72 loo rolls between just two of them, plus ridiculous amounts of everything else.

5 hours ago, Social Justice League said:

It's a bloody farce, as usual.  The supermarkets aren't fit for purpose imo, like so many "modern" businesses.

They've all been wrecked by MBAs and the quest for 'efficiency'.

Hopefully many of them are allowed to go bust so some competent people can buy them up for pennies on the pound.

On 19/03/2020 at 16:09, Social Justice League said:

I just bought a proper jack in case I have to swap the summer wheels onto the cars myself this year (the tire store usually does it for free).

It's odd that the economy is supposed to be doing badly given the amount I've had to spend this month to deal with the Chinese Flu.

Edited by MarkG
On 19/03/2020 at 22:09, Social Justice League said:

All those middle class doctors are coming in quite handy at the moment.  Even ones that can't change a wheel on a car.

9 hours ago, scottbeard said:

All those middle class doctors are coming in quite handy at the moment.  Even ones that can't change a wheel on a car.

Pre 2000 everything on the car I did myself, save alignments - headlamps and tracking - tyres and MOT. And one shunt on the insurance. 

I haven't owned a car since 2000, we share it she owns it and I haven't touched any car since other than once changed a wheel.  Everything has been done by the garage, that's when I found just how expensive they are to keep going.

Part of being a doctor is I guess that you don't have to change a wheel and whether or not you could do it becomes irrelevant.

Not having needed to see the doc since1992 doesn't mean I lack respect for them.

On 18/03/2020 at 00:50, Orb said:

Just popped out to the off licence to get a couple of tinnies. It's one of those independent mini-supermarket places run by Indians that open 6am-midnight. I couldn't believe how much stuff was in there. Loo roll literally fully stocked, shelves were bursting, tinned fish, cereal, handwash, everything, stocked fully. I picked up a bag of flour, and... wait for it.... hand sanitiser! Yes, hand sanitiser, 70% alcohol. Just casually picked it up (at a little marked up price though). That's the only place in town I've seen it for two weeks, and I've looked everywhere. 

I've noticed the smaller the store, the less impacted they are buy panic buying. It's no surprise the biggest store in town is almost stripped bare. My advice is to try the smallest shop you wouldn't expect to be stocked, because it probably will be.

This is a reverse psychology thing. I've spent my whole working life driving lorries, and one thing I've noticed over the years is that in most traffic jams the 'slow' lane becomes the fast lane, because people are conditioned to associate the 'fast' lane with faster speeds, so automatically move into it when they come into traffic jams. Want my advice? Jump into the inside lane, as they often don't even stop moving. It'll work the majority of times. I assume people associate bigger stores with more stock, so everybody rushes them. Go to the little off-licence place if you want the recent unfindables, you'll probably find them..... for now. 

I've noticed the same too; Waitrose - completely out of eggs while the small shop 200yd down the road still had stock. I think it's a sad indictment of people's solidified mindsets that even when they're panicking over running out of food, they don't even bother to check / patronise the smaller shops :(

5 minutes ago, ftb_fml said:

I've noticed the same too; Waitrose - completely out of eggs while the small shop 200yd down the road still had stock. I think it's a sad indictment of people's solidified mindsets that even when they're panicking over running out of food, they don't even bother to check / patronise the smaller shops :(

My supermarket has no eggs for sale, but the off-licence does, and they are about 200 yards from each other.

Been talking about buying what you think you need from early March on here when there were plenty of stocks of everything including toilet rolls in the shops......I recall a lady serving looking at me rather strangely when I purchased a pack of 100 gloves, Milton and wipes.....I mentioned the virus and it went straight over her head....what virus?....... amazing how quickly things have changed.

......when this is all over, many things will never be the same again.?

1 hour ago, Orb said:

That (possibly) explains why I saw a pillock with no less than 8 boxes in his trolley yesterday. I know supermarket fights are a spectacle, but it's wholeheartedly understandable. 

Nah probably just making a big quiche

19 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Should they really have a business model that caters for panicking Fwits?

One neighbour seems very proud of having a reserve supply of 72 loo rolls between just two of them, plus ridiculous amounts of everything else.  

We have Black Friday, Cyber Monday.

Brown Tuesday, all bog roll 30% more expensive.

Humpty Dumpty Sunday, 30% more expensive for all eggs. If any get cracked in the stampede 40% more expensive for those, and a clip round the ear from the manager.