House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
non-FTBer

Getting A Bargain....

Any ideas on getting the best deals from housebuilders?

I've been offered discounts just after a quick chat, but what is the best way to get the best deal?

Email all local developments offering low-ball offers and see who bites??

Any ideas on getting the best deals from housebuilders?

I've been offered discounts just after a quick chat, but what is the best way to get the best deal?

Email all local developments offering low-ball offers and see who bites??

Err. How about not making any offers and instead wait a year?

Alternatively get a better deal on a property by not going to a housebuilder - they may offer discounts easily but that is because the newbuilds are so overpriced they can make a massive profit even if they discount a little. I really don't understand why people think 5% off an overpriced newbuild flat is such a bargain when (in my area at least) a 2 bed newbuild flat is more expensive than a three bed house! Even after discounts!

Consequently I don't think housebuilders do good deals, I think that you will always pay a lot more for the privelege of being the first person to live in the property.

By all means email local developers with low offers to see who bites, but I would use this mainly to gain information about the property market in a specific area rather than buying as soon as someone says yes.

Edited by underpressuretobuy

Err. How about not making any offers and instead wait a year?

Alternatively get a better deal on a property by not going to a housebuilder - they may offer discounts easily but that is because the newbuilds are so overpriced they can make a massive profit even if they discount a little. I really don't understand why people think 5% off an overpriced newbuild flat is such a bargain when (in my area at least) a 2 bed newbuild flat is more expensive than a three bed house! Even after discounts!

Consequently I don't think housebuilders do good deals, I think that you will always pay a lot more for the privelege of being the first person to live in the property.

By all means email local developers with low offers to see who bites, but I would use this mainly to gain information about the property market in a specific area rather than buying as soon as someone says yes.

If it is a small builder you might get a distressed sale. In my area there are a row of 5 new builds standing empty since being completed late last summer. Sticker price hasn't moved but my guess is that come this summer they might have to sell for what they can get or have the bank taken them and offer them at auction.