House Price Crash Forum

Subprime China - Chinese firms on brink owe UK Lenders

I am hearing in my circles that quite a few Chinese firms are now in financial distress and could go under. So either Bejing needs to step in with a massive money printing exercise (which is what they are doing already to artifically prop up the stockmaket), or they need to let nature take its course.

If they do take the more Darwinian approach, then its a good job no UK Banks are heavily exposed to Chinese debt ...  oh hang on a minute.

https://www.ft.com/content/64e14e70-c510-11e7-a1d2-6786f39ef675

So what the odds the BoE will have to bailout a UK/international bank with heavy exposure to China?

16 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

So either Bejing needs to step in with a massive money printing exercise (which is what they are doing already to artifically prop up the stockmaket)

This solution works until it doesn't, right? And when it doesn't it is a Venezuela scenario

16 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

I am hearing in my circles that quite a few Chinese firms are now in financial distress and could go under. So either Bejing needs to step in with a massive money printing exercise (which is what they are doing already to artifically prop up the stockmaket), or they need to let nature take its course.

If they do take the more Darwinian approach, then its a good job no UK Banks are heavily exposed to Chinese debt ...  oh hang on a minute.

https://www.ft.com/content/64e14e70-c510-11e7-a1d2-6786f39ef675

So what the odds the BoE will have to bailout a UK/international bank with heavy exposure to China?

May I ask where are you hearing? 

Information from China is usually what Chinese governments wants you to know. so too restricted. 

3 hours ago, warrior88 said:

Thats a very good source!

Darn, the media got there too. 

In my case this relates to small scale device manufacturers. Not the big semiconductor manufacturers, but things like sensors, IOT devices and certain bits of racking and metalwork. Must apply to other sectors too. 

Fortunately we can do a lot of that stuff in the UK/Europe. 

On 26/02/2020 at 13:05, mallish said:

I heard on the World Service last week that the Chinese govt have already said they will bail out companies that have struggled due to the virus

They also said 2,500 deaths.

On 25/02/2020 at 09:21, Smiley George said:

Was with a HSBC guy last night who's just been put at risk and is on performance review as they go through the redundancy process, there's 15 in total out of a team of around 40 being cut now just in his part of the London operation.

Ex bankers, can't be many jobs going for them these days......perhaps they will have to retrain?.....doing what?

Some of these people must have committed their income for all number of purposes, mortgage, autos, school fees, hols and days out......higher you are the harder the fall?

Times will be difficult for some, if wise they will have a safety net to draw on.;)

5 hours ago, winkie said:

Ex bankers, can't be many jobs going for them these days......perhaps they will have to retrain?.....doing what?

Some of these people must have committed their income for all number of purposes, mortgage, autos, school fees, hols and days out......higher you are the harder the fall?

Times will be difficult for some, if wise they will have a safety net to draw on.;)

Yep.

Both boys in private school, just bought new car, had a large loft conversion done about 2 months ago.

Looked a broken man.

That's not knowing the Chinese psyche. 

The concept of face is very important, you need to show off, as much as you can, all the time. You can buy your status in China. 

Your prospect of getting married without a flat and a car are very slim for a time Chinese man

4 minutes ago, Freki said:

That's not knowing the Chinese psyche. 

The concept of face is very important, you need to show off, as much as you can, all the time. You can buy your status in China. 

Your prospect of getting married without a flat and a car are very slim for a time Chinese man

Strange, a lot of posters on HPC are saying getting a girlfriend/wife is difficult in the UK if you don’t have a house

goes back to caveman psychology