House Price Crash Forum

First Time Buyer in Belfast

9 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Do you know anyone who runs businesses with high numbers of workers furloughed? Are these places all planning to let a percentage of people go in October when the furlough money runs out?

I know lots of business owners. I know lots of business owners with workers furloughed and I know many won't leave it until October. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, 2buyornot2buy said:

Tell your friends son not to be too optimistic. Hopefully all 8 lots of people have a job come October. I expect several hundred thousand won't. Including several hundred solicitors who depend on conveyancing revenue to pay the mortgage. 

People are already pulling out of transactions. 

Obviously my background is estate agency, so have a lot of friends still in the business,  currently anyone I’ve spoken to has had virtually no sales fall through, in fact they are being inundated with enquiries, perhaps the boredom of the lockdown, im not sure, finance is still incredibly cheap, I personally think having spoke to a lot of people these past few days that prices here will remain stagnant for a few years

7 hours ago, stingray192 said:

Obviously my background is estate agency, so have a lot of friends still in the business,  currently anyone I’ve spoken to has had virtually no sales fall through, in fact they are being inundated with enquiries, perhaps the boredom of the lockdown, im not sure, finance is still incredibly cheap, I personally think having spoke to a lot of people these past few days that prices here will remain stagnant for a few years

Your estate agent friends won't be on the Law Society distribution list. I can tell you for a fact, conveyance is falling through in large numbers, the Society is also warning that this recession is likely to be much much worse than 2008, with the corresponding job losses. I expect your friends are trying to paint a pretty picture. Estate Agents tried thing happened 2007 through 2103. Ultimately, time will tell. 

13 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

Do you know anyone who runs businesses with high numbers of workers furloughed? Are these places all planning to let a percentage of people go in October when the furlough money runs out?

Yes and yes, though its an architecture firm. They are sinking their out of London office in order to support their new London offices.

11 hours ago, 2buyornot2buy said:

Your estate agent friends won't be on the Law Society distribution list. I can tell you for a fact, conveyance is falling through in large numbers, the Society is also warning that this recession is likely to be much much worse than 2008, with the corresponding job losses. I expect your friends are trying to paint a pretty picture. Estate Agents tried thing happened 2007 through 2103. Ultimately, time will tell. 

It’s a real hard one to call, they are all getting a lot more enquiries than ever, BUT a lot of this has a lot to do with people sitting at home extremly bored, looking through propertypal and passing a few hours, time will certainly tell, I personally don’t want to lose any money of my own house naturally however I a man following things very closely as there is a house I would buy at the right price, no one knows what’s going to happen long term but there is definitely going to be a big recession, the big saviour is the current cheap finance 

2 hours ago, stingray192 said:

It’s a real hard one to call, they are all getting a lot more enquiries than ever, BUT a lot of this has a lot to do with people sitting at home extremly bored, looking through propertypal and passing a few hours, time will certainly tell, I personally don’t want to lose any money of my own house naturally however I a man following things very closely as there is a house I would buy at the right price, no one knows what’s going to happen long term but there is definitely going to be a big recession, the big saviour is the current cheap finance 

It's a tough one. If feeding the kids and running the mini depended on my selling overpriced houses in the middle of biggest recession in history, I'd probably be talking the market up to everyone I bumped into also. 

I bought when prices were lower. Spent a fair bit renovating but I'd be comfortable with 40-50% drops from here. In fact I think the 20+ year olds who are going to pay for the cost of all this need it.