House Price Crash Forum

Mass changes to UK immigration requirements

14 minutes ago, MARTINX9 said:

Doesn’t stop Labour supporters still blaming Mrs Thatcher for all the nations woes - she left office 31 years ago!

You can't reopen closed pits.  You can put real controls to immigration, the Tories simply chose not to

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, MARTINX9 said:

Doesn’t stop Labour supporters still blaming Mrs Thatcher for all the nations woes - she left office 31 years ago!

I'm not trying to excuse or exonerate Blair and Brown but no-one under the age of 35 can remember either of them!

9 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

I'm not trying to excuse or exonerate Blair and Brown but no-one under the age of 35 can remember either of them!

Brown only left 11 years ago and Blair won in 2005, so someone who voted for Blair when they were 18 would be 34 now.

Edited by Riedquat

1 hour ago, msi said:

You can't reopen closed pits.  You can put real controls to immigration, the Tories simply chose not to

Do you know which government closed most pits - clue it wasn't Mrs Thatcher's!

The Wilson Labour government from 1964 to 1970 and 1974-77 closed 253 pits in nine years - more than twice the 115 pits closed under the equivalent 11 years of Thatcher. Ted Heath only shut 26 pits from 1970-74 - barely one tenth of those shut by the 'cuddly we love the working class' Labour governments either side!

And of course housing relative to earnings was pretty cheap by the time Mrs Thatcher left office in 1990 - prices were falling. You could have bought 12 houses in London then for the price of one now - and buy to let (which rose 10 fold under Blair and Brown by numbers of landlords and volumes of mortgages) was what you did at your local bathroom shop!

Sorry if the facts don't help your case - and given their policies on climate change I am assuming Labour aren't too keen on coal anyway?

Still its amazing how people misrepresent history (quite common these days) - the late Shirley Williams was blamed for the closure of grammar schools but Mrs Thatcher shut far more when she was Education secretary under Ted Heath.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal_mining_in_the_United_Kingdom

Edited by MARTINX9

1 hour ago, MARTINX9 said:

Wait, I know the answer.

It is always the last (last, last, last) labour government.

The Tories can do no wrong, keep electing them everyone, the problem definitely is caused by the foreigners, BLM, immigrants, woke, Labour, etc.

Just now, dugsbody said:

Wait, I know the answer.

It is always the last (last, last, last) labour government.

The Tories can do no wrong, keep electing them everyone, the problem definitely is caused by the foreigners, BLM, immigrants, woke, Labour, etc.

To be fair Labour and the Tories are both equally sh*t - Blair, Brown, Cameron, May, Boris. But the chance of anyone else getting elected to government is zero.

The fact people have to excuse their failures by blaming a woman who died a decade ago and spent most of the decade before suffering from dementia is just a bit much!  I just wish both parties would take ownership of their mistakes.

6 minutes ago, MARTINX9 said:

To be fair Labour and the Tories are both equally sh*t - Blair, Brown, Cameron, May, Boris. But the chance of anyone else getting elected to government is zero.

The fact people have to excuse their failures by blaming a woman who died a decade ago and spent most of the decade before suffering from dementia is just a bit much!  I just wish both parties would take ownership of their mistakes.

Absolutely agree but the Tories would never something like that. It isn't how they operate. They control the narrative and admitting to a mistake is not part of that.

Labour are only slightly better. They have tried in a lukewarm way to distance themselves from Corbyn and brexit but people don't believe them.

We get the politicians we deserve. I blame our voting system but after that, we all need to take some responsibility for our actions. If the UK is a mess, then blaming it on foreigners is just another shirking of responsibility by the masses. We could really change things, but we won't. We'll keep electing the status quo elite.

The Wilson Labour government from 1964 to 1970 and 1974-77 closed 253 pits in nine years - more than twice the 115 pits closed under the equivalent 11 years of Thatcher. Ted Heath only shut 26 pits from 1970-74 - barely one tenth of those shut by the 'cuddly we love the working class' Labour governments either side!

And of course housing relative to earnings was pretty cheap by the time Mrs Thatcher left office in 1990 - prices were falling. You could have bought 12 houses in London then for the price of one now - and buy to let (which rose 10 fold under Blair and Brown by numbers of landlords and volumes of mortgages) was what you did at your local bathroom shop!

Sorry if the facts don't help your case - and given their policies on climate change I am assuming Labour aren't too keen on coal anyway?

Still its amazing how people misrepresent history (quite common these days) - the late Shirley Williams was blamed for the closure of grammar schools but Mrs Thatcher shut far more when she was Education secretary under Ted Heath.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal_mining_in_the_United_Kingdom

Thanks for a perfect example of misdirection, and straw man.

Lets break it down into steps for your ease of understanding (not that you want to of course)

1) Your quote "Doesn’t stop Labour supporters still blaming Mrs Thatcher for all the nations woes - she left office 31 years ago!"  Puts the false equivalence that blaming Labour for starting something that the Tories did not reverse = Thatchers long lived impact, hence my reply on Pit closures

2) You then build a straw man by building a false argument that I'm tallying who closed the most pits.  Even more pathetically, you have to then double down and "adjust" the figures to agree with your own made up argument (to count, from 1945 Labour closed 354 pits to the Tories 387)

3) House prices to earnings were lower in the 90's, you remember Lawson's / Lamonts f*** up culminating in Black Wednesday don't you?. 

4) Blair and Brown launched BTL and house prices went insane where we go back my original point that the Tories could've reversed this for over 10 years and chose not to.

So where do we get to?  The question of why does the Tory part do nothing.  They know how painful HPI is, so it's not by ignorance.  The number of props and Tory donors that benefit from this suggest it's by design.

So if you want to look at political changes to make housing affordable - here's a revolutionary idea - hold those in actual power to account?

1 hour ago, dugsbody said:

We get the politicians we deserve. I blame our voting system but after that, we all need to take some responsibility for our actions. If the UK is a mess, then blaming it on foreigners is just another shirking of responsibility by the masses. We could really change things, but we won't. We'll keep electing the status quo elite.

Yes and no.  Politics is not like other markets, a new party can't really start up - even if it had the perfect policies.

Unlike say with supermarkets where new supermarkets can start - and old ones disappear (I wish the Tories and Labour had vanished instead of Safeways and Somerfields).

Do you know which party said that a minimum wage was evil? Did you know which party said that 50p per hour would decimate British business? It's the very same people on here who are saying that immigration has fcked the British working class because of low wages. . . . yet every one has voted Tory for decades. Go figure. 

8 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

Yes and no.  Politics is not like other markets, a new party can't really start up - even if it had the perfect policies.

Unlike say with supermarkets where new supermarkets can start - and old ones disappear (I wish the Tories and Labour had vanished instead of Safeways and Somerfields).

Maybe that's actually happening? To an extent the Tories have become UKIP and the Labour Party is being replaced by the Greens.

26 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

Maybe that's actually happening? To an extent the Tories have become UKIP and the Labour Party is being replaced by the Greens.

I don't really think the Tories have become UKIP.  UKIP for example wanted a clean Brexit and zero net immigration which the Tories aren't going to do in the near future.

Labour Party is not going to be replaced by the greens.

One thing I think 99% here think is a bad idea is HTB - but no party wants to get rid of that.

34 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

I don't really think the Tories have become UKIP.  UKIP for example wanted a clean Brexit and zero net immigration which the Tories aren't going to do in the near future.

Labour Party is not going to be replaced by the greens.

One thing I think 99% here think is a bad idea is HTB - but no party wants to get rid of that.

HTB(v2) gone; HTBv3 != HTBv2 ( 25% the equity loan)

I don't think it was a pol party decision, it was the Treasury pointing out that theres pretty big numbers on the line with HTBv2.

37 minutes ago, spyguy said:

HTB(v2) gone; HTBv3 != HTBv2 ( 25% the equity loan)

I don't think it was a pol party decision, it was the Treasury pointing out that theres pretty big numbers on the line with HTBv2.

HTB(v2) is NOT gone, staying until 2023(for now), they could just extend it nearer to time with 100k debt junkies/peddlers signing a petition.

8 hours ago, Gush said:

HTB(v2) is NOT gone, staying until 2023(for now), they could just extend it nearer to time with 100k debt junkies/peddlers signing a petition.

After cladding and shit new builds and estate full of social housing, I dontthink theres going to be much future buying.

Seriously, HTBv2 has ff-ed over the people who bought houses, giving an extra 30% to the house builders.

HTBv2 has  destroyed  housing equity and  a few 100k 2nd buyers from the market.

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/05/2021 at 09:10, spyguy said:

Island or not, no country should be forced to host other countries migration polices.

apparently there has been a surge in applications to the settlement scheme by people who did not know that the were no longer eligible to live in the U.K. without it

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/surge-in-requests-for-help-among-eu-nationals-as-settlement-deadline-looms-b1855193.html

Apart from the fact these people have lived here for years and clearly not engaged with the society they live in for 1s apparently. It does make you wonder what the final figure will people and what the true population of the U.K. is.

2 minutes ago, debtlessmanc said:

apparently there has been a surge in applications to the settlement scheme by people who did not know that the were no longer eligible to live in the U.K. without it

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/surge-in-requests-for-help-among-eu-nationals-as-settlement-deadline-looms-b1855193.html

Apart from the fact these people have lived here for years and clearly not engaged with the society they live in for 1s apparently. It does make you wonder what the final figure will people and what the true population of the U.K. is.

70m-75m

3 minutes ago, debtlessmanc said:

13 min ago

‘the3million’ need to change their name to ‘[email protected]

6 minutes ago, spyguy said:
13 min ago

‘the3million’ need to change their name to ‘[email protected]

From the article

"Mr Desira said the surge had been caused largely by EU nationals who had “only just realised” the scheme existed and that they needed to apply.“As we continue to have this increase in cases and meet people only just realising they should apply, we’re left wondering how many more are still out there who still need to make these applications,” he said."

also

"Most worryingly, we continue to hear from people who are yet to make their application – this is usually due to a history of labour exploitation.”

I wonder what labour exploitation is a euphemism for. I guess it mean they do not pay tax?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This has got to be worth a post, figures on EU benefit claimants, I don't think we have seen these before.

there are 800k EU citizens in the U.K. on benefits, but get this...

with 7 days to go 130k have not applied for residency status  yet!! 
do they exist? Are they even in the country!? Are they totally disengaged from the society they live in?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jun/21/130000-eu-citizens-on-uk-benefits-yet-to-apply-for-settled-status-leak-suggests