Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Mass changes to UK immigration requirements


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ūüėĪ

Exodus of foreign workers ‚Äėa threat to UK recovery‚Äô

Construction, care and hospitality industries all at risk from major shortage of employees, say business leaders

 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/07/exodus-of-foreign-workers-a-threat-to-uk-recovery

Britain‚Äôs economic recovery from the pandemic risks being seriously damaged by thousands of ‚Äúmissing‚ÄĚ overseas workers who have left the country and will not return, senior figures from across industry are warning Boris Johnson.

Executives from hospitality, social care, construction and manufacturing all raised concerns that a¬†lack of overseas workers¬†after the pandemic will put a ‚Äúhandbrake on the recovery‚ÄĚ. Some warned that the success of some of the government‚Äôs own flagship targets, such as an aim to build 300,000 homes a year, was being put at risk.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh noes! The workers to build the houses on the land banks that the developers who bribe the ministers to use taxpayers’ funds to prop up the sales are leaving!! 
But maybe the workers leaving will drop the rents which lowers the competition which lowers the desirability which lowers the cost which allows the citizens to afford the houses?

No, we simply can’t allow it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

ūüėĪ

Exodus of foreign workers ‚Äėa threat to UK recovery‚Äô

Construction, care and hospitality industries all at risk from major shortage of employees, say business leaders

 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/07/exodus-of-foreign-workers-a-threat-to-uk-recovery

Britain‚Äôs economic recovery from the pandemic risks being seriously damaged by thousands of ‚Äúmissing‚ÄĚ overseas workers who have left the country and will not return, senior figures from across industry are warning Boris Johnson.

Executives from hospitality, social care, construction and manufacturing all raised concerns that a¬†lack of overseas workers¬†after the pandemic will put a ‚Äúhandbrake on the recovery‚ÄĚ. Some warned that the success of some of the government‚Äôs own flagship targets, such as an aim to build 300,000 homes a year, was being put at risk.

 

Cant have it both ways.

When millions poured in tye UK pop was assured migration did not affect wages.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, debtlessmanc said:

Large amount of research is funded by the military, the interesting point is China is acquiring incredible amounts of data by only spending money, the infrastructure costs are paid by the UK taxpayer, Stupidity beyond the bounds of belief

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

ūüėĪ

Exodus of foreign workers ‚Äėa threat to UK recovery‚Äô

Construction, care and hospitality industries all at risk from major shortage of employees, say business leaders

 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/07/exodus-of-foreign-workers-a-threat-to-uk-recovery

Britain‚Äôs economic recovery from the pandemic risks being seriously damaged by thousands of ‚Äúmissing‚ÄĚ overseas workers who have left the country and will not return, senior figures from across industry are warning Boris Johnson.

Executives from hospitality, social care, construction and manufacturing all raised concerns that a¬†lack of overseas workers¬†after the pandemic will put a ‚Äúhandbrake on the recovery‚ÄĚ. Some warned that the success of some of the government‚Äôs own flagship targets, such as an aim to build 300,000 homes a year, was being put at risk.

 

I think we will move from over population to under population, but the details are we are going to lose hard working EE and keep the benefits ones. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shlomo said:

I think we will move from over population to under population, but the details are we are going to lose hard working EE and keep the benefits ones. 

I think it depends on the value of the pound, If it stays strong, the EE will stay. The current exodus is simply wanting to sit covid out somewhere else.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, spyguy said:

Cant have it both ways.

When millions poured in tye UK pop was assured migration did not affect wages.

 

I say this as someone whom works in hospitality (employer) conditions and wages should improve... though some businesses will not be able to handle the transition.

= inflationary especially if the government is pumping on a string to increase demand.

This is Brexit in motion the working folk removing the competition, what may be good for gdp may not necessarily be good for the working man at the bottom.

Unlimited supply of money from the boe, and unlimited supply of goods from China....and unlimited supply of labour from the Eu.  The pillars of low inflation and housing sponging up the excess.

If any of those pillars fall its game over for low irs.

Just wait and see you can price out folk from adequate housing no problem.  But as soon as they start getting market push pay rises... up they wil, go.

Edited by Fromage Frais
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Fromage Frais said:

I say this as someone whom works in hospitality (employer) conditions and wages should improve... though some businesses will not be able to handle the transition.

= inflationary especially if the government is pumping on a string to increase demand.

This is Brexit in motion the working folk removing the competition, what may be good for gdp may not necessarily be good for the working man at the bottom.

Unlimited supply of money from the boe, and unlimited supply of goods from China....and unlimited supply of labour from the Eu.  The pillars of low inflation and housing sponging up the excess.

If any of those pillars fall its game over for low irs.

Just wait and see you can price out folk from adequate housing no problem.  But as soon as they start getting market push pay rises... up they wil, go.

I have noticed prices creeping up, I have feeling the good days are over

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh no! Senior management might actually have to do their jobs for a change and increase productivity, rather than simply relying on cheap foreign labour and exporting their problems onto British taxpayers. 

I get angry every time I see a "barrista" coffee machine at just how incredibly inefficient they are (indeed they are designed to be, to make them look difficult to use and hence justify high prices!) - modernise them and you'd avoid the need for 10s of thousands of EU workers in London alone, at no sacrifice in coffee quality or service. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Upabove said:

Oh no! Senior management might actually have to do their jobs for a change and increase productivity, rather than simply relying on cheap foreign labour and exporting their problems onto British taxpayers. 

I get angry every time I see a "barrista" coffee machine at just how incredibly inefficient they are (indeed they are designed to be, to make them look difficult to use and hence justify high prices!) - modernise them and you'd avoid the need for 10s of thousands of EU workers in London alone, at no sacrifice in coffee quality or service. 

If they just press a button and out comes the coffee people will expect much cheaper coffee. The inefficient machine is part of creating an environment that justifies £3 a cup for coffee to enough people to base a business around. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

Oh noes! The workers to build the houses on the land banks that the developers who bribe the ministers to use taxpayers’ funds to prop up the sales are leaving!! 
But maybe the workers leaving will drop the rents which lowers the competition which lowers the desirability which lowers the cost which allows the citizens to afford the houses?

No, we simply can’t allow it.

The ambitious of government are a collection of paradoxes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

If they just press a button and out comes the coffee people will expect much cheaper coffee. The inefficient machine is part of creating an environment that justifies £3 a cup for coffee to enough people to base a business around. 

 

High street rents and businesses rates contribute more to pricing than wages.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Fromage Frais said:

I say this as someone whom works in hospitality (employer) conditions and wages should improve... though some businesses will not be able to handle the transition.

= inflationary especially if the government is pumping on a string to increase demand.

This is Brexit in motion the working folk removing the competition, what may be good for gdp may not necessarily be good for the working man at the bottom.

Unlimited supply of money from the boe, and unlimited supply of goods from China....and unlimited supply of labour from the Eu.  The pillars of low inflation and housing sponging up the excess.

If any of those pillars fall its game over for low irs.

Just wait and see you can price out folk from adequate housing no problem.  But as soon as they start getting market push pay rises... up they wil, go.

The Horror!!!!!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, shlomo said:

I think we will move from over population to under population, but the details are we are going to lose hard working EE and keep the benefits ones. 

Growth means both growth in real productivity (not asset speculation) and growth in population....... declining areas are places where the population moves away, moves to better places where they can grow, develop, learn and improve on what they had before,places that have been invested in, people will invest in.......new and improved opportunities.;)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Article on the departure

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/07/exodus-of-foreign-workers-a-threat-to-uk-recovery

halfway down

"Federation of Builders, said there was a ‚Äúreal danger that we‚Äôre going to have a major skill shortage‚ÄĚ. He said: ‚ÄúWe need 300,000 homes [a year],"

Curious guardian logic-surely 1.3M people leaving will help this problem ?? If 1.3m people have really left that has freed up 700k houses at the drop of a hat!

 

 

Edited by debtlessmanc
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, debtlessmanc said:

Article on the departure

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/07/exodus-of-foreign-workers-a-threat-to-uk-recovery

halfway down

"Federation of Builders, said there was a ‚Äúreal danger that we‚Äôre going to have a major skill shortage‚ÄĚ. He said: ‚ÄúWe need 300,000 homes [a year],"

Curious guardian logic-surely 1.3M people leaving will help this problem ?? If 1.3m people have really left that has freed up 700k houses at the drop of a hat!

 

 

They are not connecting the dots, people do not understand if the situation on the ground changes so to should the underlying assumptions

I think the number to have left is over 1.5M

So we should have a banking crisis in say 12 months

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, shlomo said:

They are not connecting the dots, people do not understand if the situation on the ground changes so to should the underlying assumptions

I think the number to have left is over 1.5M

So we should have a banking crisis in say 12 months

Yes, but then both were on the cards and Covid has catalyzed it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, shlomo said:

They are not connecting the dots, people do not understand if the situation on the ground changes so to should the underlying assumptions

I think the number to have left is over 1.5M

So we should have a banking crisis in say 12 months

Idont think well be having a banking crisis.

IRs and deficit funding yes.

 

Edited by spyguy
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

If they just press a button and out comes the coffee people will expect much cheaper coffee. The inefficient machine is part of creating an environment that justifies £3 a cup for coffee to enough people to base a business around. 

 

There are thousands of Costa and Starbucks coffee machines in places like WHS, making coffee without human being present, no price difference though. A double espresso is still 2.80 or thereabouts, just like in staffed outlets, the only difference being you ca enjoy your drink without having a brief conversation with a "highly trained and professional barista" who invariably pronounces espresso "expresso".

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, debtlessmanc said:

Article on the departure

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/07/exodus-of-foreign-workers-a-threat-to-uk-recovery

halfway down

"Federation of Builders, said there was a ‚Äúreal danger that we‚Äôre going to have a major skill shortage‚ÄĚ. He said: ‚ÄúWe need 300,000 homes [a year],"

Curious guardian logic-surely 1.3M people leaving will help this problem ?? If 1.3m people have really left that has freed up 700k houses at the drop of a hat!

 

 

In the early 1990s we had very little net immigration and housing was cheap but now we need mass immigration to build new houses?  Very weird

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, spyguy said:

Idont think well be having a banking crisis.

R and funding yes.

 

I visit a friend in Stoke newington, a one bedroom flat on his road went on the market for £500k we both said it would not sell, it sold within a few weeks (not sure of the price) it has now had a to let sign on for 4 months the new owners want £2k per month they can find no tenants this must be a newbie, timing is everything 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.