House Price Crash Forum

Mass changes to UK immigration requirements

People create their own work......more local and community as far as I can see, here more huge conglomerates, chains, public sector, massive individual job providers with power and influence to lobby politicians for cheap funding and low taxes......we do not care or nurture small businesses here, they have less chance to succeed so much stacked against them in so many ways........no longer a nation of small shopkeepers.;)

If people create their own work - why isn't the level of unemployment the same everywhere?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If people create their own work - why isn't the level of unemployment the same everywhere?

All depends how you define unemployment.......if I work two days am I unemployed, if I only need to work two days because the cost of living is less, two days or how ever many is enough......live to work or work to live?;)

• 2 weeks later...

Poisonous politics lurk behind the EU recovery fund

Southern European states must make sure reforms work this time

https://www.ft.com/content/e3345aba-78a2-447b-94b1-50a83bbbea40

A friend working at a city council on the coast of southern Spain wrote to me the other day. “The whole management of the European funds is going to be a nightmare . . . we have too much money!” she said. “I have been told to spend €10m on the installation of photovoltaic plaques in 100 public buildings. But I don’t think we have 100 public buildings! This is a small city!”

740f1430-414b-11eb-b25e-75212d7f72c5-sta

ebe3bc70-414d-11eb-beba-a73f6d98ecbe-sta

a3c1d040-414c-11eb-86e4-cf6880a98669-sta

Poisonous politics lurk behind the EU recovery fund

Southern European states must make sure reforms work this time

https://www.ft.com/content/e3345aba-78a2-447b-94b1-50a83bbbea40

A friend working at a city council on the coast of southern Spain wrote to me the other day. “The whole management of the European funds is going to be a nightmare . . . we have too much money!” she said. “I have been told to spend €10m on the installation of photovoltaic plaques in 100 public buildings. But I don’t think we have 100 public buildings! This is a small city!”

740f1430-414b-11eb-b25e-75212d7f72c5-sta

ebe3bc70-414d-11eb-beba-a73f6d98ecbe-sta

a3c1d040-414c-11eb-86e4-cf6880a98669-sta

Do you make a living posting incessant anti-EU anti-immigrant material? 

I can't see how any otherwise employed person would have the time or inclination to regurgitate as profusely as you do.

I can't see how any otherwise employed person would have the time or inclination to regurgitate as profusely as you do.

Attacking the messenger is not really a good strategy.  Was that posting factually incorrect in anyway? 

One thing I find very depressing about Brexit is that in many ways Nigel Farrage was an awful person and a poor politician (doesn't work well with others, poor grasp of details).

However, if it he had been perfect then he might have been less successful because people would have had to change things about the EU rather than attack him and then the EU would have been more popular.  

?

These reports, from the FT, that wide known nit-EU rag, are reporting wide spread Pollical failure at both national and EU level.

The fiscal fund is just pouring billions into failed/failing nation states.

Attacking the messenger is not really a good strategy.  Was that posting factually incorrect in anyway? 

I have no idea, I pay no attention to his posts with my limited time. I am just really a bit amazed that a working person spends so much energy and time (massive amounts of time) to posting incessant anti-EU and anti-immigrant material.

Hence I'm asking if he makes a living from it somehow, or is retired <removed, apologies, was a bit rude>. Retired with a rather unhealthy obsession.

Edited by dugsbody

I have no idea, I pay no attention to his posts with my limited time. I am just really a bit amazed that a working person spends so much energy and time (massive amounts of time) to posting incessant anti-EU and anti-immigrant material.

Hence I'm asking if he makes a living from it somehow, or is retired <removed, apologies, was a bit rude>. Retired with a rather unhealthy obsession.

I think looking at Spyguy's motivations is really distracting from the main debate.  You have posted a lot more per year here than I have, but I have never once before now bothered to think about how much time  you have.

I really think that Brexit would not have happened if pro EU politicians had listened to those anti the EU and taken on board some things.

I really think that Brexit would not have happened if pro EU politicians had listened to those anti the EU and taken on board some things.

Very likely. They've never done much to dispel the appearance of "there's nothing wrong with the EU, if you don't like it then you're the one with the problem." Far too much of a dogmatic attitude towards it.

I think looking at Spyguy's motivations is really distracting from the main debate.  You have posted a lot more per year here than I have, but I have never once before now bothered to think about how much time  you have.

I agree, because if they'd listened then we would have had to end freedom of movement which would have meant leaving the EU.

So, brexiters would not have had to vote for brexit as we'd already be out the EU.

But thanks for the remarks, I get that I should not question his motivations, it just struck me as odd. I'll keep quiet now and let you guys continue to talk about immigration and how bad the EU is.

His wife is Italian so he has to let off steam somewhere probably not best in the marital home, I have learned a lot from his postings it seems to be a northern characteristic to be always complaining sometimes a valid point 

I agree, because if they'd listened then we would have had to end freedom of movement which would have meant leaving the EU.

Not necessarily.

Perhaps if Tony Blair's government had introduced transition controls for Eastern Europe in 2004, like pretty much every other EU country, then that would have prevented anti-EU sentiment getting out of control and propelling Farage from obscurity to mainstream. I also remember, shortly afterwards, Brown calling that woman a bigot when she asked why 'so many people are coming here'.

Labour didn't seem open to listening and only have themselves to blame for Brexit. 

Not necessarily.

Perhaps if Tony Blair's government had introduced transition controls for Eastern Europe in 2004, like pretty much every other EU country, then that would have prevented anti-EU sentiment getting out of control and propelling Farage from obscurity to mainstream. I also remember, shortly afterwards, Brown calling that woman a bigot when she asked why 'so many people are coming here'.

Labour didn't seem open to listening and only have themselves to blame for Brexit. 

I agree with this.

So, brexiters would not have had to vote for brexit as we'd already be out the EU.

But thanks for the remarks, I get that I should not question his motivations, it just struck me as odd. I'll keep quiet now and let you guys continue to talk about immigration and how bad the EU is.

We could just have changed the benefit system to stop paying people to coming here  Nothing to do with the EU that.

Tony Blair could have vetoed expansion of the EU until we got a better deal on fish.

There was loads that could have been done.

We could also delayed the entrance of Poles etc to our Labour market.

Not necessarily.

Very true.

I often wonder if many politicians are not secretly trying to destroy their own causes.  

Bob Gedolf (not a politician I know) probably won loads of votes by swearing at fishermen!

Not necessarily.

Easing in the changes is generally the way to go and so I believe you're right there. I've said it often enough before, freedom of movement is good as long as it doesn't result in any significant net movement in any particular direction, which is why for years no-one had much of a problem with it. There's definitely a factor of good ideas being misused, tools used for the wrong purpose.

Perhaps it also makes sense to differentiate apart not wanting to be part of the EU for its own sake and not wanting it to be available as a tool for our own politicians (both viewpoints being perfectly valid ones).

Not necessarily.

Blame Paul Romer's Endogenous Growth Theory.

Hokey nonsense about openness, change and human capital but coming after the collapse of Communism a narrative that had considerable appeal to the centre-left.

The bankers loved it too, of course.

Not necessarily.

Perhaps if Tony Blair's government had introduced transition controls for Eastern Europe in 2004, like pretty much every other EU country, then that would have prevented anti-EU sentiment getting out of control and propelling Farage from obscurity to mainstream.

TB was playing a different game, he wanted to be President of Europe that is why he acted like a such a good European, the UK establishment expected him to have a good chance, the Conservatives came on side and offering masses of free money to the EE countries and converting to Catholicism and inviting them all to the UK was a price worth paying in the short term.

The educated Europeans saw TB for what he was.  

Apparently we can expect a large influx of wealthy Hong Kongers later this year

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/12/uk-government-underestimates-takeup-hong-kong-resettlement

Could be positive news , if Singapore on Thames is the aim.

Hong Kongers might be annoyed to think they are interchangeable with Singaporeans... 

TB was playing a different game, he wanted to be President of Europe that is why he acted like a such a good European, the UK establishment expected him to have a good chance, the Conservatives came on side and offering masses of free money to the EE countries and converting to Catholicism and inviting them all to the UK was a price worth paying in the short term.

The educated Europeans saw TB for what he was.  

WTH has Catholicism got to do with it? 

But (imho) his focus on global image and European power meant he lost touch with the effects of his policies on the livelihoods and society of his core voters. 

Why did he give the full range of benefits to the EE, how can they not know what would happen