House Price Crash Forum

Mass changes to UK immigration requirements

There used to be a two year automatic post graduate visa - it ended in around 2011 I believe. It allowed foreign graduates to work without needing job sponsorship for two years, with the idea being that after the two years they could be sponsored or apply for residence themselves.

It started again this year, I think you need to get a job offer at some level or other. i suspect the original poster's curry house mate intends to take his cousin on at the threshold level after his course until he gets right of abode.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-announces-2-year-post-study-work-visa-for-international-students

Edited by debtlessmanc

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My idea - limit student visas to recognized high quality universities only. No visas can be given to study at the "London International School of Business (East Ham Campus)" or "The Queen's British College of Language and Economics (Luton)".

All the truly scummy colleges (that did nothing but answer UK Border Force calls and talk BS about the student's attendance) were closed by Theresa May when she was Home Secretary. The kind of institutions you mention are probably not highly regarded but they will have real teaching nowadays.  

I was working in recruitment as a summer job back in early 00's and we always had 'students' coming in waving their student visas gained from being enrolled at the Oxford Street School of English / Business Management / whatever, as proof they can work part time with our agency (and then likely part time with another agency). The fees they were paying to be eligible for £5 per hours jobs didn't make economic sense to me, but there was never any shortage of takers. 

All the truly scummy colleges (that did nothing but answer UK Border Force calls and talk BS about the student's attendance) were closed by Theresa May when she was Home Secretary. The kind of institutions you mention are probably not highly regarded but they will have real teaching nowadays.  

I was working in recruitment as a summer job back in early 00's and we always had 'students' coming in waving their student visas gained from being enrolled at the Oxford Street School of English / Business Management / whatever, as proof they can work part time with our agency (and then likely part time with another agency). The fees they were paying to be eligible for £5 per hours jobs didn't make economic sense to me, but there was never any shortage of takers. 

They probably now have council houses - so it was a good idea - speaking from experience btw.

There are still close to 150 educational establishments on the Register of Student Sponsors that are classed as "private providers" - a quick search shows some of them to be very suspect looking. Yes, I remember every so often there is a purge of the ones that are quite blatantly for means of achieving a visa, but places like "Empire College" in Ilford are still on the list. £6000 a year. Look it up on Google streetview as I can't seem to link a photo.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/929307/2020-10-26_Student_Register_of_Sponsors.pdf

places like "Empire College" in Ilford are still on the list. £6000 a year. Look it up on Google streetview as I can't seem to link a photo.

This place? I actually think it doesn't look that bad for an FE college. The Ladbrokes on the ground floor is a little odd but they're running the whole building and the council are in the almost identical building next door. It may still be a sham and they'd likely become economically unviable if removed from the register of sponsors. The £6K fee is significantly lower than a traditional degree so it offers a cost effective route to get a student visa, and they're probably a bit lax on attendance checking. The scummy colleges i remember were much worse than this and had multiple names all running out of unmarked pokey offices with few facilities and their only purpose was to generate certificates and confirm attendance. 

11-Clements-Rd-Google-Maps.thumb.jpg.8bee89ae826bdeef33d26fdedb3552c1.jpg

But, all that being said, i don't think FE colleges like this should be able to sponsor student visas. Anyone coming from overseas to study in an FE college like this is likely not paying for the high teaching quality. 

Edited by sammersmith

It started again this year, I think you need to get a job offer at some level or other. i suspect the original poster's curry house mate intends to take his cousin on at the threshold level after his course until he gets right of abode.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-announces-2-year-post-study-work-visa-for-international-students

Taking the conversation at a tangent, I don’t think curry establishments can be doing very well, it does sound a bit fishy 

I have heard of 3 Turkish families from Haringey green lanes head back to turkey, saying you cannot make money in the UK

Edited by shlomo

Do you really honestly believe that tptb did not know this was happening, they pretended to turn a blind eye and appear shocked when the media publishes it.

it keeps wages low, how can you buy 3 chicken wings and chips for £1 without illegal labour, keeps inflation down 

Edited by shlomo

This place? I actually think it doesn't look that bad for an FE college. The Ladbrokes on the ground floor is a little odd but they're running the whole building and the council are in the almost identical building next door. It may still be a sham and they'd likely become economically unviable if removed from the register of sponsors. The £6K fee is significantly lower than a traditional degree so it offers a cost effective route to get a student visa, and they're probably a bit lax on attendance checking. The scummy colleges i remember were much worse than this and had multiple names all running out of unmarked pokey offices with few facilities and their only purpose was to generate certificates and confirm attendance. 

But, all that being said, i don't think FE colleges like this should be able to sponsor student visas. Anyone coming from overseas to study in an FE college like this is likely not paying for the high teaching quality. 

That was the place. Yes, the Ladbrokes did look a bit strange. Perhaps I was being a bit unfair on it, but it struck me as being a blatant copy of Imperial College. I had a look at the reports/inspections - in 2013 ALL of the students were on Tier 4 visas,  in 2015 about half were, but in 2018 there were NONE. Very strange.

Roe v Wade was decided over 40 years ago, and abortion is still a much bigger issue in the US than it is in most of Europe. It's usually better to determine cultural issues democratically than by judicial activism.

No more culture wars ....

Yes, but the US is not Europe, so not really relevant.

On the less controversial end of birth control in Ireland:

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/ireland-allows-sale-of-contraceptives

1985 before you could buy a rubber.

No more culture wars ....

Yes, but the US is not Europe, so not really relevant.

On the less controversial end of birth control in Ireland:

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/ireland-allows-sale-of-contraceptives

1985 before you could buy a rubber.

I remember Terry Wogan's story about a returning honeymoon couple having a suitcase full confiscated at Dublin airport- tears in their eyes.

• 3 weeks later...

Another surge in registrations up another 200k this month to 4.76m (including Eire citizens), despite Covid, could easily reach 6M at this rate. No wonder BTL is such a money spinner.

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/eu-settlement-scheme-statistics

That is a large number of people.  I wonder what the increase in households in the last 25 years has been due to EU citizens and how much it has affected house prices.

Its not just the UK migration system that needs changes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54964858

The Euro was great idea for a small number of solvent, Norther European countries.

Of course, Italy ajd to join, so then Spain had to, then they could not leave out Greece.

Poof!

Ditto FOM, which was thought of something to allow EUers to easy pop in n out of adjacent  countries.

Even with that simple model theres some unresolved issues with different taxation and benefits for,. say, a Belgian national, who lives in Netherland but works in Germany.

Then they let the the EE countries....

Poof!

The Euro was great idea for a small number of solvent, Norther European countries.

Of course, Italy ajd to join, so then Spain had to, then they could not leave out Greece.

Poof!

Ditto FOM, which was thought of something to allow EUers to easy pop in n out of adjacent  countries.

Even with that simple model theres some unresolved issues with different taxation and benefits for,. say, a Belgian national, who lives in Netherland but works in Germany.

Poof!

Italy was a founding member

Italy was a founding member

Not of the Euro, that was Miterrand's idea "Versailles without a War". Kohl only agree with it because it was a condition of reunification. He pretty much foresaw what the consequences would be. As SG says Italy was not going to be left out of the stable currency without fiscal responsibility fest.

Not of the Euro, that was Miterrand's idea "Versailles without a War". Kohl only agree with it because it was a condition of reunification. He pretty much foresaw what the consequences would be. As SG says Italy was not going to be left out of the stable currency without fiscal responsibility fest.

The daft thing is that Italy/Italians thought they get a freebie - bail out of both the Italian political and economic mess.

In 1998 I was sat in bar talking to my now inlaws - This is going to be great for Italy! The economy is finally going to recover.

The bargain they got was a hard-ish currency where the flexibility was meant to be made on Italian labour/jobs/wages.

Then China roared in, doing a lot of stuff that Italy does.

Then. to add to the comedy, they let in loads of Chinese leather and cloth workers (just cheap Labour) to keep that Made in Italy (by Chinese slaves) and brought in Covid,. whihc is still tearing through Northern Italy.

Travel rules changed for Christmas turkey farm workers

From 04:00 on Tuesday, seasonal workers from abroad can start work straight away during their 14-day quarantine.

So DiRtY ImMiGrAnTs are bad, unless they getting you a cheap Turkey.  So of course, you will be happy to pay extra for a 'British handled' Turkey?

Why grow Turkeys in the UK when land and labour is expensive?

Move the Turkey farms to EE. They  can be grown, killed and prepared there.

Ditto fruit. I mean, Bulgarian has much more land and sun than the UK. Yet we've got subbed farmers importing Bulgarins FFS.

Out in a container/artic. Sorted.

Instead we have an Agri sector distorted by the EU agri subs.

Why grow Turkeys in the UK when land and labour is expensive?

Move the Turkey farms to EE. They  can be grown, killed and prepared there.

Ditto fruit. I mean, Bulgarian has much more land and sun than the UK. Yet we've got subbed farmers importing Bulgarins FFS.

Out in a container/artic. Sorted.

Instead we have an Agri sector distorted by the EU agri subs.

erm....isn't that Globalisation?

Poof!

Poof!

More Poof!

Hungary and Poland stand firm against EU rule of law conditions

Both feel unfairly targeted, while febrile domestic politics constrain Warsaw’s room for manoeuvre

https://www.ft.com/content/6868477d-38a2-464e-b1c4-188fd0a62b1a

At the heart of the dispute is a mechanism that would allow the EU to suspend funding to member states where its values, including judicial independence, have been undermined or are under threat.

Proponents see the mechanism as a way for the bloc to protect EU funds in recalcitrant member states, something it has long struggled to do via its existing tools.

But Hungary and Poland, both of which have been the subject of the bloc’s existing disciplinary proceedings over the rule of law, regard the new rules as a politically motivated attempt to target them. “I think today ‘rule of law’ is everything and anything that you don’t like about Hungary,” Judit Varga, Hungary’s justice minister, said on a call with foreign journalists on Monday evening. She added that it was “unfair” to tie funding to the rule of law as each EU state had a different judicial system, and there was no common definition of the rule of law.

Comments are fun.

Well they can hand back cohesion development funds plus interest minus any net budget contributions and goose step east toward Belarus and the eternal leader of the Russian autocracy.

But they won’t. They will remain in a club that can’t expel them and continue to exercise their rights of veto. 

What part of “democracy and the rule of law are prerequisites for EU membership” do these two governments not understand?

What part of "rule of law is not defined anywhere" do you not understand?

They would argue they do have rule of law . . . Just not the kind the eu likes.

EU taxpayer funds should not be used for kleptocracy dictatorships. Trump has shown how eat it is for a dictator to bend the system even in a supposedly strong democracy. The EU does not need Hungary or Poland and should not hesitate to cut off funding until democracy and independent judiciary are restored. 

Errm. Poland was voted on a basis of democracy. Are you a pro-EU bot or something? Or just cannot accept a government with different values to yours / EUs?

Can I ask, could the rule of law measures be used:
- against Spain, for its refusal to allow Catalan politicians advocate independence
- against France, for its constant breach of the EU caps on budget deficits and public debt 
- against Italy for the same and for misspending some EU funds
- against Malta, for covering up the murder of an anti corruption journalist....?

And who should be the arbiter of this?

Once again, we see the logic of the single currency expose the institutional weakness of the EU:
- the single currency requires fiscal transfers 
- fiscal transfers are only politically acceptable if taxpayers of contributing nations think the money will be wisely spent
and therefore the Euro requires the EU to federalise ie the tax raising and spending needs to be overseen by elected EU politicians.

This naturally would require 27 referenda and will therefore never happen, except in small steps and without the consent of the people.