House Price Crash Forum

Mass changes to UK immigration requirements

44 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Theres no disputing that Poland, along with other EE countries have been given huge amounts of cash.

What isnt clear if the money has made these places better or worse.

In the case of the Balkans countries, it appears that EU slush funds have turbo charged the mafias that have been runnign those countries since the UUSR -  and probably before.

In my neck of the woods if you are looking for staff,  the Poles have disappeared and been replaced by Brazilians, and any EE you find are no way as good quality as five years ago

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, prozac said:

In my neck of the woods if you are looking for staff,  the Poles have disappeared and been replaced by Brazilians, and any EE you find are no way as good quality as five years ago

Funnily enough, I have been frequenting a new coffee outlet in Manchester and talking to the staff. All are Brazilian/Venezuelan -with Spanish or Portuguese passports. I recently had a conversation with a Portuguese colleague were he openly said that Portugal is very generous with handing out passports to Brazilians or indeed asylum seekers from former African colonies as it knows full well they will not stay in Portugal but move to Northern Europe immediately. Of course, as usual the staff in the shop are lovely people for whom customer always knows best. 

Again if the U.K. shuts this path off it will be  a problem for the EU in general. The number of states people will aspire to live in goes down.

1 hour ago, spyguy said:

Theres no disputing that Poland, along with other EE countries have been given huge amounts of cash.

What isnt clear if the money has made these places better or worse.

In the case of the Balkans countries, it appears that EU slush funds have turbo charged the mafias that have been runnign those countries since the UUSR -  and probably before.

That is how it works.....we pay others to do work for us, our choice who we pay and how much......many countries have got wealthy making stuff and doing stuff for us, seems like we prefer that than doing it ourselves.....not a blame game.;)

1 minute ago, winkie said:

That is how it works.....we pay others to do work for us, our choice who we pay and how much......many countries have got wealthy making stuff and doing stuff for us, seems like we prefer that than doing it ourselves.....not a blame game.;)

To be fair, as you know, we literally had centuries of working ourselves to death before the modern era. My family tree has 3 ancestors killed in pit accidents.

3 minutes ago, debtlessmanc said:

To be fair, as you know, we literally had centuries of working ourselves to death before the modern era. My family tree has 3 ancestors killed in pit accidents.

True, work was very hazardous.....so what are you saying we now have chosen to pay others to do our dirty work?;)

Just now, winkie said:

True, work was very hazardous.....so what are you saying we now have chosen to pay others to do our dirty work?;)

No we have given our young people the impression that they will all end up as jet setting executives and all they will need is a piece of paper that's costs £27k. As an academic for 20 years I have been telling anyone who will listen that this would happen and it has.

11 minutes ago, debtlessmanc said:

No we have given our young people the impression that they will all end up as jet setting executives and all they will need is a piece of paper that's costs £27k. As an academic for 20 years I have been telling anyone who will listen that this would happen and it has.

With you on that, started the day they made the technical colleges into dumbed down universities, as if all our people would be special people earning special money in high demand all over the world.......when in reality university is only another business that requires endless sums of money and enough people to believe it will take them somewhere.?

5 hours ago, debtlessmanc said:

Funnily enough, I have been frequenting a new coffee outlet in Manchester and talking to the staff. All are Brazilian/Venezuelan -with Spanish or Portuguese passports. I recently had a conversation with a Portuguese colleague were he openly said that Portugal is very generous with handing out passports to Brazilians or indeed asylum seekers from former African colonies as it knows full well they will not stay in Portugal but move to Northern Europe immediately. Of course, as usual the staff in the shop are lovely people for whom customer always knows best. 

Again if the U.K. shuts this path off it will be  a problem for the EU in general. The number of states people will aspire to live in goes down.

Why?  Surely Portugal is a modern paradise as it is part of the Euro zone?  I thought Southern Europeans come here because they like watching rugby- not because for economic reasons.

5 hours ago, debtlessmanc said:

Out standard of living is going to take a big hit if the supply chain collapses.

12 minutes ago, prozac said:

Out standard of living is going to take a big hit if the supply chain collapses.

I speak to young people a lot, (obviously) including my own children. Their talk of how difficult it is to make a living as a games designer, photographer, musician, artist, One was telling me the other day how their friend was a free-lance cinematographer in London and could not make ends meet. On the other hand, the physics student i just helped out with his project, modest background, comp school, very smart, hard working, just got a job working on the oil and gas industry in the UK starting on £45k/yr, they are desperate for good people apparently. like wise Bro-in-law has software company turns over £40M year mostly sales to states/far east. desperate for motivated able British people, pays them circa £70k/yr after year or two if any good. Our education system is deeply dysfunctional. There is nothing wrong with being a plumber, young british born people should aspire to these jobs. Other really tedious jobs like picking cabbages are done by machine in eg the Netherlands. Only the UK uses minimum wage labour, and has terrible productivity a a result

Edited by debtlessmanc
27 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

Why?  Surely Portugal is a modern paradise as it is part of the Euro zone?  I thought Southern Europeans come here because they like watching rugby- not because for economic reasons.

Portugal has 20% youth unemployment, and that is amongst the youth who have not left yet....

13 minutes ago, debtlessmanc said:

I speak to young people a lot, (obviously) including my own children. Their talk of how difficult it is to make a living as a games designer, photographer, musician, artist, One was telling me the other day how their friend was a free-lance cinematographer in London and could not make ends meet. On the other hand, the physics student i just helped out with his project, modest background, comp school, very smart, hard working, just got a job working on the oil and gas industry in the UK starting on £45k/yr, they are desperate for good people apparently. like wise Bro-in-law has software company turns over £40M year mostly sales to states/far east. desperate for motivated able British people, pays them circa £70k/yr after year or two if any good. Our education system is deeply dysfunctional. There is nothing wrong with being a plumber, young british born people should aspire to these jobs. Other really tedious jobs like picking cabbages are done by machine in eg the Netherlands. Only the UK uses minimum wage labour, and has terrible productivity a a result

Life is so much easier than the 70/80s, i wonder how long it can last.

Portugal has 20% youth unemployment, and that is amongst the youth who have not left yet....

Thank you - I was joking about the Euro zone being an economic miracle.  It is really awful.

Seriously many people hate Thatcher because of unemployment levels we suffered under her, why does no one hate the EU for much higher unemployment in the Euro zone?

1 hour ago, iamnumerate said:

Thank you - I was joking about the Euro zone being an economic miracle.  It is really awful.

Seriously many people hate Thatcher because of unemployment levels we suffered under her, why does no one hate the EU for much higher unemployment in the Euro zone?

Everywhere is awful for some....even here.;)

1 hour ago, iamnumerate said:

I find it most amusing when people post that e.g. “greece is on the mend as youth unemployment had gone down” ignorimg the fact that 5% of young people have left. There is no recovery young people have just given up and left the country. All enabled by freedom of movement.

Edited by debtlessmanc

I find it most amusing when people post that e.g. “greece is on the mend as youth unemployment had gone down” ignorimg the fact that 5% of young people have left. There is no recovery young people have just given up and left the country.

Greece is the least of the worries.....thousands are leaving far worse places, displaced and persecuted, war shattered.;)

Not to mention the 100’s millions of gay people who live in countries were it is illegal- we should sort that out too eh?

No...they should leave and move to better places, places with more love and tolerance towards those different to themselves.;)