House Price Crash Forum

Mass changes to UK immigration requirements

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, maffo in oxford said:

Er, why?

no jobs back home is the usual reason given. Most EU states (particularly southern ones) have very controlled labour markets and, lets be honest, they are not very open to appointing non-nationals (whatever remainers would have you believe) so the UK is a good bet if you want to move in search of work. My main concern about the EU was always that we were too good as members rather than "difficult" as most of the rest of the EU would have it. We should just have just declared the UK bilingual in welsh and English and insisted on a  working knowledge of the former to move here for work. However the do-gooder remainers would have seen it as "cynically playing the system:" in other word what e.g. Belgium has done for years

https://www.euronews.com/2016/03/11/belgium-says-jobless-europeans-not-welcome

Edited by debtlessmanc
50 minutes ago, debtlessmanc said:

Friends wife is French, she contributes to a blog for french people looking to move to uk, work/accommodation etc. He tells me she is overwhelmed by inquiries still with no fall off in sight.

UK in-work benefits, attached to having kids, is probably the most lucrative in the EU, considering the work required.

mrspys  Spanish and Portuguese families are here because their own welfare payouts stopped after ~2 years.

Shes knows, as theyve told her, mrspsy being italian, letting her in on the great 'scam'.

50 minutes ago, maffo in oxford said:

Er, why?

because they can get jobs here? Whilst other eu countries tend to not hire foreigners....at least in universities which I know about you will rarely see non-german Academics in the Germany, non-French academics in France, non-Italian academics in Italy etc etc. In England I reckon no more than 50% of academics are english.

Edited by MancTom
47 minutes ago, maffo in oxford said:

Er, why?

mrsspys Dad spent a few 10k  on her English tuition.

Both reckon is was money well spent.

The returns on speaking English are still very big. Only Spanish offers any return, and thats pretty limited.

Now - or at least until jan 20 - a EUer could rock up in the UK, get a parttime/low paid job, and be showered with ~30k of cash benefits plus housing plus free, reasonably decent, despite what teachers/Labour say,  schooling at 6k/kid.

40 years ago, when I was a kid, Europe was a long expensive way away.

We are now living in a world of lucrative UK in work benefits and RyanAir.

2 minutes ago, MancTom said:

because they can get jobs here? Whilst other eu countries tend to not hire foreigners....at least in universities which I know about you will rarely see non-german Academics in the Germany, non-French academics in France, non-Italian academics in Italy etc etc. In England I reckon no more than 50% of academics are english.

mrs spy would struggle to get her job in her own region in italy - jobs are all sewn up.

Shed not even trying outside her region. Pointless.

Or bother with France, despite being bilingual, growing up in a French speaking area of Italy.

European,s as whole, are not stupid. They know where the grass is green.

The idiots banging on about UK racism, anti-european this n that, are stupid.

I thought we were talking French people moving to the UK, why would they have a problem gaining employment in their own country?

Or is it a district thing? Are the French racist in a fashion that would be similar to someone form Wiltshire hating an Oxfordian like me? ?

And to think of the Vitriol spouted in the Brexit thread towards thick, working class Brits from the rejoaners!

Edited by maffo in oxford
1 hour ago, maffo in oxford said:

I thought we were talking French people moving to the UK, why would they have a problem gaining employment in their own country?

Or is it a district thing? Are the French racist in a fashion that would be similar to someone form Wiltshire hating an Oxfordian like me? ?

And to think of the Vitriol spouted in the Brexit thread towards thick, working class Brits from the rejoaners!

Same reason as debtlessmanc mentioned -access to jobs and a shitty economic environment.

You dont have the 1000s of yellowvest protecting for 12+ months, weekend in, weekend out, because they are livng in some socio-economic heaven.

Jean Sixbottles has to put up with a lot of crap - very high taxes which seem to be mainly used to bribe north Africans, crappy public services which favour the elite/civil servants an public sector worker over the pleb.

Since 1980s and Mitterrand cunning plan, which promptly backfired, France has bonced between the Med countries and their dire economic/job performance and corruption, and northern Europeans economies, who  are much better at jobs and productivity,

To be frank, a lot of the time France is kike the USSR with better cheese and weather.

3 hours ago, debtlessmanc said:

no jobs back home is the usual reason given. Most EU states (particularly southern ones) have very controlled labour markets and, lets be honest, they are not very open to appointing non-nationals (whatever remainers would have you believe) so the UK is a good bet if you want to move in search of work. My main concern about the EU was always that we were too good as members rather than "difficult" as most of the rest of the EU would have it. We should just have just declared the UK bilingual in welsh and English and insisted on a  working knowledge of the former to move here for work. However the do-gooder remainers would have seen it as "cynically playing the system:" in other word what e.g. Belgium has done for years

https://www.euronews.com/2016/03/11/belgium-says-jobless-europeans-not-welcome

Despite the strops, the UK ,along with the Scandis, is one of he better Europeans members.

We meticulously apply the laws and operate a meritocracy.

Indeed, Id go so far to say that the UK is the *only* European country in Europe. Thats a 'was' now.

The rest of EU countries either have way too crappy economies, or way too insular or way too bent or way too obscure languages.

The fall out from the great ECB EURO fuxup would have been much worse if it was not for the UK to absorb Europes young and stop them wasting andor rioting back home.

With out the UK to provide a large, open, English speaking market Economy, the rest of Europe is going to fall to bits, economically then socially.

2 hours ago, maffo in oxford said:

Nothing compared to North Versus London but when it is someone outside London dissing us we are suddenly united !

6 minutes ago, GregBowman said:

Nothing compared to North Versus London but when it is someone outside London dissing us we are suddenly united !

When i lived in France (Grenoble), whenever a driver did something particular nuts (which in France is usually pretty bad) the other French would remarks "encore un Parisian"

30 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Despite the strops, the UK ,along with the Scandis, is one of he better Europeans members.

We meticulously apply the laws and operate a meritocracy.

Indeed, Id go so far to say that the UK is the *only* European country in Europe. Thats a 'was' now.

The rest of EU countries either have way too crappy economies, or way too insular or way too bent or way too obscure languages.

The fall out from the great ECB EURO fuxup would have been much worse if it was not for the UK to absorb Europes young and stop them wasting andor rioting back home.

With out the UK to provide a large, open, English speaking market Economy, the rest of Europe is going to fall to bits, economically then socially.

Exactly my view, i also agree that it will probably turn out we have substantially more EU citizens in the UK than the govt estimate. That link suggests so, or why have all bulgarians registered but only 30% of Germans? more likely 30-50% of anyone has registered so far. This actually should give the UK enormous leverage with the EU. However, they EU are actually in a very difficult position (as i foresaw from day 1), Brexit must be seen to fail, but the last thing they want is the fall out of (e.g.) 6M young EU citizens  going home to deeply conservative societies were all the jobs worth having are taken by so and so's brother in law. It is also why the only EU citizens i have met who are actually really annoyed about brexit are Germans, poor Germany is going to have try to sort that lot out, and yet the last things it wants is to lead the EU (for rather obvious reasons). Meanwhile Macron is trying to make political mileage by being beastly to "les rosbifs". It really is not going to  end well.

Edited by debtlessmanc
32 minutes ago, debtlessmanc said:

Exactly my view, i also agree that it will probably turn out we have substantially more EU citizens in the UK than the govt estimate. That link suggests so, or why have all bulgarians registered but only 30% of Germans? more likely 30-50% of anyone has registered so far. This actually should give the UK enormous leverage with the EU. However, they EU are actually in a very difficult position (as i foresaw from day 1), Brexit must be seen to fail, but the last thing they want is the fall out of (e.g.) 6M young EU citizens  going home to deeply conservative societies were all the jobs worth having are taken by so and so's brother in law. It is also why the only EU citizens i have met who are actually really annoyed about brexit are Germans, poor Germany is going to have try to sort that lot out, and yet the last things it wants is to lead the EU (for rather obvious reasons). Meanwhile Macron is trying to make political mileage by being beastly to "les rosbifs". It really is not going to  end well.

Fortunately for the EU they were negotiating with Teresa May to start off with.  A better UK prime minister might have used more leverage - like threatening to not protect Eastern Europe in case of Russian aggression. 

4 hours ago, spyguy said:

mrsspys Dad spent a few 10k  on her English tuition.

Both reckon is was money well spent.

The returns on speaking English are still very big. Only Spanish offers any return, and thats pretty limited.

Now - or at least until jan 20 - a EUer could rock up in the UK, get a parttime/low paid job, and be showered with ~30k of cash benefits plus housing plus free, reasonably decent, despite what teachers/Labour say,  schooling at 6k/kid.

40 years ago, when I was a kid, Europe was a long expensive way away.

We are now living in a world of lucrative UK in work benefits and RyanAir.

So how do us feckless Brits get a slice of the pie.

Sex change and borrow a toddler ?

1 hour ago, debtlessmanc said:

The EU's position is going to get more n more difficult as the number of Euro applications to remain in the UK go up n up.

Id guess the brexit voters will be vindicated and the blind remainders/EU will have some explaining to do when that number goes above 6m esp. as most will be families from poorer EU countries, dependent on inwork benefits and free-at-point-of-use public service, mainly education.

16 hours ago, debtlessmanc said:

When i lived in France (Grenoble), whenever a driver did something particular nuts (which in France is usually pretty bad) the other French would remarks "encore un Parisian"

I have heard that ! My mate has a place in deepest Francs - Gers and he was apologising to a local guy for not knowing too much French and he said your fine we like you - your not Parisian ?

On 23/02/2020 at 18:52, Arpeggio said:

So that’s a no then.

You don’t need to tell me Poland have benefited from the countries within the EU, such as the U.K. (which is very clear when you look at the facts). The point here is Polish views towards other countries benefiting from Poland, which you would be correct, in terms of consistency, to suggest there should be no issue.

Theres no disputing that Poland, along with other EE countries have been given huge amounts of cash.

What isnt clear if the money has made these places better or worse.

In the case of the Balkans countries, it appears that EU slush funds have turbo charged the mafias that have been runnign those countries since the UUSR -  and probably before.