House Price Crash Forum

Steep rise in Londoners moving to northern England

HOLA441
19 hours ago, Dorkins said:

Wait, I thought the North had been left behind, now it has higher living standards than the South? Which one is it?

Even within cities there is quite a big divide between wealthy middle classes coming in to do well paid middle class jobs, and the the locals living in the grotty parts of cities. Its not necessarily an either/or thing.

HOLA442
22 hours ago, Si1 said:

You can have city life in Leeds Manchester or Birmingham with much less stress

Opera

Musicals

Ballet

Shows

Restaurants

Bars

Parks

Gyms

Sports teams

Festivals of all kinds

Jazz

Nightclubs

Comedy clubs

International airports

Easy access to spectacular surrounding countryside (ok not sure London has this but the others do tend to)

Cafes

Markets

Fresh food

Colleges

Universities

Libraries

Etc etc

Your sort of can and I wouldn't disagree but always seems like I have walked into an ersatz copy of London. I always wander down the main city streets turn a corner and think..is that it? Having entered the workforce early eighties and working in London from 82 on - I know us boomers had the best of it 

I worked in Manchester (well South  Manchester - Cheadle) and spent a lot of time in the North West  and was up there 3 nights a week and loved it so not super pro London. 

The trouble is London's housing cost has destroyed the centre of the city.

I love the Manchester landscape but fear with all the flat building its going to go the way of London and be hollowed out.

Edited by GregBowman

HOLA443
9 minutes ago, GregBowman said:

I love the Manchester landscape but fear with all the flat building its going to go the way of London and be hollowed out.

That's "progress" for you. That's why I'm very nervous about talk of investing in the north - the most likely outcome of that seems to be to turn it into copies of London.

HOLA444
HOLA445
1 hour ago, GregBowman said:

Your sort of can and I wouldn't disagree but always seems like I have walked into an ersatz copy of London. 

I suppose so. Lots of things have become internationalised these days and homogenised, as part of globalisation of culture. 

HOLA446
HOLA447