House Price Crash Forum

Is this a record?! House on market 4 1/2 years...

This house in Cambridge has been on the market on and off for 6 years!

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/property/19-whitehill-road/cambridge/cb5-8lu/3910547

• Aug 2019 Listed for saleMarketed by Abbotts - Cambridge Sales£400,000View listing
  • Apr 2018 Listed for saleMarketed by Abbotts - Cambridge Sales£400,000View listing
  • Sep 2017 Listed for saleMarketed by William H Brown - Newmarket£400,000View listing
  • view less 
    • Jan 2017 Listed for saleMarketed by Cooke Curtis & Co£400,000View listing
    • Jul 2016 Listed for sale£425,000View listing
    • Jul 2014 Listed for saleMarketed by haart Estate Agents - Cambridge Sales£350,000View listing
    • Feb 2014 Listed for saleMarketed by Russells - Sales£295,000View listing

This one around the corner from me has actually been on since April 2013 although rather annoyingly they've twice managed to make it appear as ''new to market'' on the listing despite not removing it first or reducing the price in all that time.

It's a holiday home that the owners haven't used for years.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-66036034.html

It finally shown as SSTC about 6 months ago but I'm wondering if the ''sale'' has actually gone through as it's still showing on Rightmove and there's been no activity at all at the house in that 6 month period from either the old owners clearing out or the new owners moving in.

(And I happen to know the vendors are, let's say, rather ''difficult'' people to deal with)

Until recently, I sued to find houses that had been listed for 10+ years conterminously.

I think EA are a bit wiser to the internet listing ad dont tend let an ad run for 3+, choosing towithdraw nd ifflde wit hte details so they dont appear to have been up for sale for years.

The houses themselves are still not selling.

21 minutes ago, spyguy said:

The houses themselves are still not selling.

Depends on where. This year already I've seen asking prices, regardless of the estate agent doing the listing, increase by an average of £10k and I've seen some in bad locations, such as with bad transport links, near 'druggy-thuggy' estates, without parking etc go STC, drop off Zoopla and not come back.

And the money definitely seems to be there. I know people at work who have pushed themselves to the limit to buy dumps; one even had the bathroom effectively (but predictably) collapse just before Christmas, celling, tiles and everything but was still happy because he had brought a place (maisonette) and only has a ~ 30-45 minute commute Well, that and a very real need to work 14+ hours a day.

And yesterday I had one of Martin Lewis's emails with a piece crowing about how the interest rates on mortgage products has fallen again!

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/02/2020 at 01:07, tyres said:

This house in Cambridge has been on the market on and off for 6 years!

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/property/19-whitehill-road/cambridge/cb5-8lu/3910547

• Aug 2019 Listed for saleMarketed by Abbotts - Cambridge Sales£400,000View listing
  • Apr 2018 Listed for saleMarketed by Abbotts - Cambridge Sales£400,000View listing
  • Sep 2017 Listed for saleMarketed by William H Brown - Newmarket£400,000View listing
  • view less 
    • Jan 2017 Listed for saleMarketed by Cooke Curtis & Co£400,000View listing
    • Jul 2016 Listed for sale£425,000View listing
    • Jul 2014 Listed for saleMarketed by haart Estate Agents - Cambridge Sales£350,000View listing
    • Feb 2014 Listed for saleMarketed by Russells - Sales£295,000View listing

It couldn't sell for the original price of £295K. 

The solution clearly is to put the price UP 33% to £400K

12 hours ago, mrtickle said:

It couldn't sell for the original price of £295K. 

The solution clearly is to put the price UP 33% to £400K

Warped logic indeed. The Vendors might have seen that "property x" down the road sold for "y" so ours must be worth around "y + z" now. :rolleyes: