House Price Crash Forum

crap windows 10

longgone

Always kick Windows 10 updates into the long grass for as long as possible (it's bloody obnoxious to force updates anyway).

Windows 10 search is bloody useless anyway. The underlying engine is good but it's crippled by the crap piled on top of it.

43 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Always kick Windows 10 updates into the long grass for as long as possible (it's bloody obnoxious to force updates anyway).

Windows 10 search is bloody useless anyway. The underlying engine is good but it's crippled by the crap piled on top of it.

without search though using 10 is a royal pain unless you use a skin i still prefer xp over all the others although 7 was visually a lot like xp but far too bloated. 

10 is good for setting up the old laptops i get, as i don`t have to worry too much about drivers and setting up hardware like the old versions once you turn off a few things its quite fast even on old kit. 

I rarely use search on 10, although at home I've stuck Classic Shell on it (or whatever it's called now) and at work there aren't many different things I need to use so I just have shortcuts on the desktop for them. It's at work where I do sometimes need to use it though, and where it's much more of a PITA since the little Hitlers lock so much down it's impossible to customise the damn thing into usability. Where I do use it it's always going to be in very specific circumstances, such as trying to locate a file I know is in some general area, or for bits of text within a file. If I'm searching for an email I want to search within the email client, not everything.

I've always thought that if you're making use of a search facility all the time you're hopelessly disorganised.

On 06/02/2020 at 10:23, Riedquat said:

Better still, just use Linux. 

8 hours ago, Riedquat said:

I mostly use my computer for games, which pretty much means being stuck with Windows. And at work I've no choice anyway.

Steam is your friend! 

5 hours ago, longgone said:

Surely linux is the ultimate spyware being opensource 

Quite  the opposite. Try sticking anything in there and someone will blow the whilstle in no time. You can't get away with doing things behind peoples'  backs and without their consent to anywhere near the same extent.

On 2/8/2020 at 11:28 AM, Riedquat said:

Steam is just a shop 

Shop, community, download manager, lets you play on your TV, lets you play LAN games remotely, etc.

You really appreciate it when you are forced to use an alternative that really is just a shop (ahem epic game store)

On 08/02/2020 at 17:12, Riedquat said:

Quite  the opposite. Try sticking anything in there and someone will blow the whilstle in no time. You can't get away with doing things behind peoples'  backs and without their consent to anywhere near the same extent.

Indeed, Linux modules and code go through extremely rigorous testing before integration or inclusion in the repos. Anything dubious gets called out well before then. 

Also, in general Linux users are more informed about what they are doing and so the opportunity for hackers to exploit users via dumb arsed installation of malware is lower, hence  most viruses love Windows.

Finally, I will say Windows 10 is a complete abomination of an OS. Microsoft has really mucked it up. I mostly use Ubuntu now and the best thing Microsoft has been doing is moving certain Apps like Teams and Skype over to Linux, they really should move office over too. Ms Office is still the best OA product and frankly with the ability to run Office 365 in a browser means you don't even really need to run it locally if you are on a good network, so all the need to do is close the gap for mobile workers with a port to Linux. 

They'll make loads more cash if they do that. 

Archived