House Price Crash Forum

1 hour ago, rantnrave said:

Headline numbers tick up, but mostly seasonal adjusting causing the rise:

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/-/media/MainSite/documents/about/house-price-index/2020/Jan_2020.pdf

They've done well to avoid the yoy going negative until the Brexit bounce. 

Despite asking prices falling. 

How very very curious. 

I'm totally disgusted by the nationwide, have you seen their adverts encouraging old people to borrow again at their unearned untaxed equity. 

If that's not a sign of the end game I dunno what is 

If they, a mutual no less, is prepared to do that then they must be in a right mess, what else are they prepared to do. 

I have grave concerns about them now 

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

Rejoice, 5 year tractor production at a new record high!

How long before last years figures are revised downward to keep this years growth positive?  The 'adjustments' that NW really smell to me.

I hate to take a leaf out of the climate deniers book, but we need to see all the NW data and their 'adjustment' methodology.

1 minute ago, rantnrave said:

Front page news on BBC website:

UK house price growth at 14-month high, says the Nationwide

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51293687

It's interesting how this is deemed "news" by our esteemed and impartial public broadcasting service.

This is a press release from a commercial organisation with a vested interest in getting said messaging out to as many consumers as possible, as it has the net effect of making them more money. 

Their marketing team must be pissing themselves, I wonder how much the commercial stations charge them for broadcasting their adverts. They way the BBC laps this sh1t up they probably could save themselves a bob or two.

8 minutes ago, Smiley George said:

It's interesting how this is deemed "news" by our esteemed and impartial public broadcasting service

Yawn. Lame BBC bashing.  It's a press release and so it gets released.  Do you want an equal article from the esteemed at HPC challenging this; then you mistake Impartiality for Equivalence.

9 minutes ago, Smiley George said:

I wonder how much the commercial stations charge them for broadcasting their adverts

AFAIK they don't charge.  If they did, they need to declare it.  Pretty serious IPSO breach if they didn't (Been a while since I worked in media - so happy to be corrected by actual facts)

11 minutes ago, msi said:

AFAIK they don't charge.  If they did, they need to declare it.  Pretty serious IPSO breach if they didn't (Been a while since I worked in media - so happy to be corrected by actual facts)

To be clear - are you saying that ITV doesn't charge Nationwide to broadcast its adverts?

53 minutes ago, Smiley George said:

To be clear - are you saying that ITV doesn't charge Nationwide to broadcast its adverts?

This is a press release from a commercial organisation

You answered your own question

1 hour ago, evictee said:

I've just finished importing this morning's Land Registry release (sales up to Dec 2019) into houseprices.io if anyone wants a look.

Thank you!

I just checked on of my target areas and there are 5 entries in red on the first page now. Not much is actually selling so that is December and part of November.  We have to go back to June to find no red entries.

Would tend to confirm that I am seeing here. 

17 hours ago, evictee said:

I've just finished importing this morning's Land Registry release (sales up to Dec 2019) into houseprices.io if anyone wants a look.

It's a great site, especially now I can see the panel on the right with the house specific details (is that new?).

Sadly, in an average road in a small town close by (SE) I see a spread of green with recent transactions.

https://houseprices.io/?q=mile+oak+road+southwi

On 29/01/2020 at 15:41, evictee said:

Thankyou sir. I noticed some new changes - what is an "* Additional price paid transaction"?

Near me:

Date Sold Price Paid Nominal
change
Real
change
29 Nov 2013 £164,000 -0.6% -0.7%
31 Oct 2013 £165,000 * 50.1% 4.7%
26 Apr 2002 £109,950 ** *** n/a n/a
  • * Additional price paid transaction
  • ** New build
  • *** Leasehold

I find those two 2013 transactions suspicious .

I’m hoping this is a dead cat bounce, with a false dawn of economic optimism after Boris’ win. I think most people are completely missing the point...it’s nothing to do with Brexit or the impasse, and everything to do with Corbyn. He scared the bejesus out of anyone earning more than 20p a year.

I pulled out of my house purchase because I wasn’t happy with the building work that had been done. I hope I don’t end up regretting it. At the moment there is nothing decent around the railway line in Sussex under 600k. Houses are going very quickly. But I do think this is a case of people having held out for along time. It could go either way, but as I said at the beginning, I’m really hoping it is A DCB.

On 29/01/2020 at 15:41, evictee said:

Fantastic work, what an excellent tool.

The only piece of information that's missing to complete the picture is what these properties asking price was, that would be a useful guide for people looking to buy - is there anyway to incorporate this? Are there any other tools people are aware of which may help automate this?

Agreed - basically I dump from .io into a sheet for the areas I'm looking at then manually having to go into Zoopla/ Rightmove to try and find the original adverts to capture the listing dates/ prices - would be cool to have something aggregate the whole lot but would be hard work and records of the original listings are patchy.