House Price Crash Forum

Kobe Bryant coverage a bit OTT in the UK?

reddog

Very sad some people died, but....

Basketball is more of a cult sport in the UK, and I strongly suspect  players are more known for what footwear they are endorsing, rather than how they play the game.

Yet, we have wall to wall coverage of this death, even the BBC business programme "wake up to money" devoted it's lead story to the topic.  They didn't even attempt to do some sort of business tie in.

(Funny thing is I probably know more about NBA basketball than the average Brit, I used to watch it regularly in my teens, I guess I just enjoy taking contrarian positions!!)

2 hours ago, reddog said:

Very sad some people died, but....

Basketball is more of a cult sport in the UK, and I strongly suspect  players are more known for what footwear they are endorsing, rather than how they play the game.

Yet, we have wall to wall coverage of this death, even the BBC business programme "wake up to money" devoted it's lead story to the topic.  They didn't even attempt to do some sort of business tie in.

(Funny thing is I probably know more about NBA basketball than the average Brit, I used to watch it regularly in my teens, I guess I just enjoy taking contrarian positions!!)

Almost always sad when someone passes unless they have lived a life harmful to others but until this morning I'd never heard of the chap.

I doubt I'm the only one so yes for the UK way over the top.

Always sad when any aircraft crashes and lives are lost......but agree, why so much coverage in the media today when most people are unfamiliar with sport personalities from other countries??

50 minutes ago, winkie said:

Always sad when any aircraft crashes and lives are lost......but agree, why so much coverage in the media today when most people are unfamiliar with sport personalities from other countries??

24 hour news channels need to report something. I'd never heard of him.

6 hours ago, Peter Hun said:

He was a rapist, you might remember him for that?

I did actually remember that, being the sick twisted person that I am, it was one of the first things that came into my head.

Feel sorry for the Washington Post Journo that shared a public domain post about it and got temporarily suspended (well actually I probably don't, because I imagine I disagree with her on most things)

But anyway, it looks like a few others are coming out of the woodwork now, to point out the glaringly obvious (he was never convicted btw, so it is an allegedly!!)

39 minutes ago, reddog said:

so it is an allegedly!!)

He's dead, so you can say what you like. He paid compensation to get off the charge.

His only claim for fame in the UK was the rape case.

Archived