House Price Crash Forum

Housebuilding in England hits Record High

Data from the Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government showed that housing supply in England increased by 241,130 new homes during 2018-19, up 9 per cent on 2017-18.

The latest figure came as a result of 213,660 new homes, 29,260 from the change of use between non-domestic and residential, 5,220 from conversions between houses and flats and 940 other gains. During the same time, 7,940 were lost through demolition.

Housebuilding is now at its highest level since the previous peak in 2007/08 when the total recorded was 223,530 new homes, and since records began in 1991.

https://www.mlambe.co.uk/2020/01/13/housebuilding-in-england-hits-record-high-civil-engineering/

Edited by maffo in oxford

Mixed feelings about this:

1. It’s great as it goes slightly towards feeding the demand (but sadly still not enough)

2. it’s bad as the houses that are being built are high density, ugly, small, poorly made, which makes for poor quality of life, and a more depressed nastier nation. hate to admit but the planned nice towns of the royal family are just nicer. Ultra modernism doesn’t work in the UK. you need sunshine for brutalism to work. and the clad cheap hell-hole buildings are just the slums of the future 

3. Some generalised ‘I’m alright jack’ views about population growth and facilities and road capacity etc, ignoring the fact that all these extra people will be paying for my old age care

i think what I’m getting at, is a lot of the new buildings will suit maslows heirachy of needs for the basic provision of shelter, but as a nation we are not doing much about other levels of fulfilment or happiness