House Price Crash Forum

'Home ownership among young people rises' - HTB Lemmings plague ?

Home ownership among young people rises after decade of decline

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jan/23/home-ownership-young-people-rises-decade-help-to-buy

...However, the figures also showed an increase in overcrowding in the social rented sector, where people rent largely from councils or housing associations at a rate pegged to local incomes.

Overcrowding, which is measured by whether households have fewer bedrooms than notionally needed for its occupants, remains at its highest rate in the social rented sector, with 8% of that group living in overcrowded accommodation.

Polly Neate, the chief executive of the housing charity Shelter, said: “More and more families are crammed like sardines into homes that are too small for them because they can’t afford to rent anywhere bigger.

“The odds are stacked against struggling families. What this country desperately needs is an alternative to private renting, which is why Shelter is urging the government to build a new generation of genuinely affordable social homes.”..

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship
1 hour ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

Home ownership among young people rises after decade of decline

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jan/23/home-ownership-young-people-rises-decade-help-to-buy

If there was one lesson HPC could have passed onto the side who lost Brexit it is that when you insult people they don’t listen. Hearts and minds, hearts and minds. I was surprised by this news but that’s where we are. The govt is using our money to do this. ?‍♂️

what you going to do? Vote labour? ?

On 24/01/2020 at 11:30, EmmaRoid #FBPE#JC4PM#GTTO said:

The govt is using our money to do this. ?‍♂️

I would like to see this tax money spent on care for the elderly instead so that house prices come down, nurses / carers can afford to live nearby and they don't have to sell their house to pay for care costs. Live by Greed, die by Greed then go to hell when others who didn't sign up for the same as you suffer the consequences too.

12 hours ago, Arpeggio said:

I would like to see this tax money spent on care for the elderly instead so that house prices come down, nurses / carers can afford to live nearby and they don't have to sell their house to pay for care costs. Live by Greed, die by Greed then go to hell when others who didn't sign up for the same as you suffer the consequences too.

This is a wonderful idea.  If only there were a shift in attitudes towards this rather than everyone fighting like rats in a sack for the (deliberately restricted) few crumbs they can grab on to.

If landlords are being pushed out of the market then someone has to buy the houses off them. I'd rather it be FTBs. Ok I'd rather it be at lower prices but you can't have everything.

On 24/01/2020 at 09:39, Saving For a Space Ship said:

A friend of mine who grew up in a council flat told me that his parents had lots of children hoping to get a bigger flat.

So it is not surprising that social rented sector has most over crowding.

10 hours ago, Si1 said:

If landlords are being pushed out of the market then someone has to buy the houses off them. I'd rather it be FTBs. Ok I'd rather it be at lower prices but you can't have everything.

Well, you certainly can't have an hpc while the Tory boys are borrowing £100bn/yr to underwrite 35 and 40 year mortgages.

At least not until the country is bankrupt.

ian-duncan-smith-cheering.jpg?w=455&h=25