House Price Crash Forum
LetsBuild

Coronavirus - potential Black Swan?

People are wearing hazmat suits on planes. But should they?

Last year, supermodel Naomi Campbell made headlines when she shared a video of herself very thoroughly sanitizing her Qatar Airlines seat. There were disinfecting wipes involved, plastic gloves and a face mask.

And that was before the coronavirus pandemic.

With the world battling a highly contagious global health threat, Campbell has taken her in-flight hygiene habits a step further by wearing a hazmat suit on board. 

Campbell is not alone in wearing hazmat suits on planes. The behavior is becoming more common for regular air travelers, as well as airline staff.

Disposable PPE suits can cost less than $20 online, but health experts aren’t advocating wearing them on planes during the pandemic.

“Wearing a hazmat suit on an airplane is unnecessary and could cause undue concern for other travelers,” Scott Pauley, a press officer for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) told The Washington Post by email. “CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain.”

More:

https://www.msn.com/en-xl/lifestyle/coronavirus/people-are-wearing-hazmat-suits-on-planes-but-should-they/ar-BB14yPbo

12 hours ago, Speed1987 said:

We cannot avoid the virus, those countries which have gotten rid of the virus, are just sitting ducks.

Interestingly, we will probably see a second wave later this year, through avoiding economic collapse and reduced compliance to guidelines.

So we will be in a much better postion, than other countries, which have had little or no spread of the virus.

The Spanish flu below.

2004C360_GC_1918.png

More fatalistic drivel about herd immunity.

Covid-19 is an eradicable disease not influenza. The science of beating it is here.

1 hour ago, ticket2ride said:

Well, well, looks like Cummings spent his first day back at work from the Durham trip on 14th April editing his PERSONAL BLOG to include references to Coronavirus, to suggest he had warned about them before the outbreak. Then referenced this visionary warning in his press conference from the rose garden.

Meanwhile Sage scientists are suggesting Cummings is behind anti lockdown messaging.

Are there any source links for this? Would be good to have a read about this.

Cheers ticket2ride

20 minutes ago, Brave New World said:

Are there any source links for this? Would be good to have a read about this.

Cheers ticket2ride

20/20 hindsight vision. Genius:

11 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

I think this may be this pivot point between the Boomers and Millennials. 

The boomers have been shaken by COVID and will be less likely to travel and may even be scared to work. 

They'll also have taken a hit on their pensions both from market falls and low interest rates. 

Some will want to sell up their homes and live off the proceeds.

The only way out of the debt trap is inflation, which will also make the boomers relatively poorer to those in work. 

It will be interesting to see... Despite the deaths from the virus they won't impact the numbers at polling stations so boomers still have numerical advantage. 

There maybe a more noticeable effect on probate sales this year and next but gen Y (&X) suffered the financial hit from CV19 so may find borrowing harder so can't capitalise on it.

Curiously CV19 may have only brought forward deaths expected late 2020 or 2021 so excess probate sales maybe short lived.

14 hours ago, Peter Hun said:

Me too, but drinking outside will be ok until autumn.

Spent Friday evening getting pissed on Clapham Common, loads of people in groups drinking there all weekend. Distancing in groups. 

Bojo has blown the lockdown, bad news for pubs because they cannot exist with distancing which will be required with an ongoing level of new infections.

To be fair it has been happening in London parks for weeks - particularly since the partial relaxation on trips and multiple exercises per day was relaxed two weeks ago. Including people obviously not from the same households siting together eating and drinking in parks or playing football etc. Traffic in my area has also been much higher - and was so well before last Thursday. 

Edited by MARTINX9

55 minutes ago, highcontrast said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52797002

Coronavirus: Sports events in March 'caused increased suffering and death'

We also allowed 18 million people to arrive from abroad from January to March pre lockdown and actually physically quarantined less than 300 of them (the Wuhan returnees). Weak border controls and global travel spread this virus and brought it in more than anything - hence global air hubs like Paris, Madrid, New York and London seeing earlier peaks. Mayor Cuomo has been clear connecting and direct flights from London and Paris to JFK were significantly responsible for his large number of NYC cases.

Of course we do have a certain double standard to border controls - when Trump stopped Chinese flights in January - the COVID-19 epicentre  it was called racist but when Jacinda Ardern closed her borders she was praised to the roof for her swift action! That was the general attitude to proper controls when we might have been able to control the spread at the start of the year.

Covid-19 didn’t originate here - it was brought here by some - no one can be certain how many - of those 18 million won came untested and unmonitored post arrival.  That was the biggest error here and across much of western Europe.

Of course with hindsight we could have done lots of things - being wise after the event is easy. But I expect unlimited air travel had a bigger effect than a couple of sporting events and we didn’t stop that even from China after their widespread lockdown in January.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/05/just-273-people-arriving-in-uk-in-run-up-to-lockdown-quarantined

Edited by MARTINX9

13 hours ago, Bob8 said:

How is that helpful?

People supporting brexit are not stupider than remainers, they are less keen on the modern world and material facts, but that does not make them stupider.

If it means f***ing over the youngsters coming up behind them, then I'm afraid, yes it does. Believe me, I'm seeing and experiencing changes that, as an older person (61 this year) I'm not thrilled with, but fair play I think is the best mantra and the young are best set up to run with them. What we're doing to them with things like the triple lock etc - which just has to go - is appalling. 

7 minutes ago, solentmuppet said:

If it means f***ing over the youngsters coming up behind them, then I'm afraid, yes it does. Believe me, I'm seeing and experiencing changes that, as an older person (61 this year) I'm not thrilled with, but fair play I think is the best mantra and the young are best set up to run with them. What we're doing to them with things like the triple lock etc - which just has to go - is appalling. 

The average person eligible to vote is in their fifties and the average person who does vote is a little older than them. Meanwhile, Ireland has more modernist politics and a younger population.

10 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

The average person eligible to vote is in their fifties and the average person who does vote is a little older than them. Meanwhile, Ireland has more modernist politics and a younger population.

Agreed, it does seem to be the case. But can you imagine some of those brexiteers looking over the Irish sea and saying " they're showing us how it should be done, we should follow their lead". I can't see it myself, somehow. 

BREAKING NEWS:

Coronavirus: Poorer areas miss out as £100m of emergency cash diverted to richer Tory councils with lower infection rates

Exclusive: Anger as ministers strip out deprivation weighting from grants to ‘fight the pandemic’ – despite higher infection rates in poorer neighbourhoods

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/coronavirus-emergency-cash-poor-england-hotspots-conservatives-a9528371.html

I posted this on the other thread but think it’s more appropriate here. 

27 minutes ago, solentmuppet said:

Agreed, it does seem to be the case. But can you imagine some of those brexiteers looking over the Irish sea and saying " they're showing us how it should be done, we should follow their lead". I can't see it myself, somehow. 

Quite! I think they would see it as a nightmarish image.

1 hour ago, MARTINX9 said:

To be fair it has been happening in London parks for weeks - particularly since the partial relaxation on trips and multiple exercises per day was relaxed two weeks ago. Including people obviously not from the same households siting together eating and drinking in parks or playing football etc. Traffic in my area has also been much higher - and was so well before last Thursday. 

Only started down in SW London  after Bojo's go back to work speech. Before that its was 100% exercise only.

1 hour ago, nightowl said:

Curiously CV19 may have only brought forward deaths expected late 2020 or 2021 so excess probate sales maybe short lived.

Study says thats not true.  Simple maths says if average age of Covid death is 70, the its about 15 years  early, hence deaths would have been spread over next 15 years

13 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

The boomers have been shaken by COVID and will be less likely to travel and may even be scared to work. 

They'll also have taken a hit on their pensions both from market falls and low interest rates. 

My pension has entirelu recovered from COVID crash, FTSE is booming and will probably recover  soon.

35 minutes ago, Peter Hun said:

My pension has entirelu recovered from COVID crash, FTSE is booming and will probably recover  soon.

Same here.

My investments have gone up since February.

45 minutes ago, Peter Hun said:

Only started down in SW London  after Bojo's go back to work speech. Before that its was 100% exercise only.

That was my point - the back to work and see a mate in the park and go out as often as you like was the real trigger. Young people in large numbers have given up following the rules - and who can blame them as it’s their futures and mental health being ruined by lockdown!

1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

Ireland isn’t that modernist in its politics - it’s three main parties are all offshoots of the IRA from the early 1920s. Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil are based on who your family backed in the 1922 civil war and Sinn Fein is an offshoot of Fianna Fáil as they wanted to actively maintain the armed struggle. And let’s not get into Sinn Fein the workers party who split into Sinn Fein and the Workers party and Democratic left and more.

Labour, the Greens and Social Democrats - normal parties you see in other nations - are a side show.

And three months after their election they still don’t have a government formed - as FF and FG can’t close the deal with the Greens and all the quirky independents.

The Healy Rae brothers - independents from Kerry - are brilliant though!! If only we had more characters like them at Westminster - they get elected cos they work very hard and deliver for their constituents!

Edited by MARTINX9

11 minutes ago, MARTINX9 said:

Ireland isn’t that modernist in its politics - it’s three main parties are all offshoots of the IRA from the early 1920s. Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil are based on who your family backed in the 1922 civil war and Sinn Fein is an offshoot of Fianna Fáil as they wanted to actively maintain the armed struggle. And let’s not get into Sinn Fein the workers party who split into Sinn Fein and the Workers party and Democratic left and more.

Labour, the Greens and Social Democrats - normal parties you see in other nations - are a side show.

And three months after their election they still don’t have a government formed - as FF and FG can’t close the deal with the Greens and all the quirky independents.

The Healy Rae brothers - independents from Kerry - are brilliant though!! If only we had more characters like them at Westminster - they get elected cos they work very hard and deliver for their constituents!

True, just out of Fine Gael.

2 hours ago, MARTINX9 said:

Of course we do have a certain double standard to border controls - when Trump stopped Chinese flights in January - the COVID-19 epicentre  it was called racist

I have to admit that sounds plausible because, well, Trump is a knob and brought it all on himself, but would probably be unfair in this case. I probably wasn't paying any attention at the time so I don't explicitly remember seeing people call him a racist for it. Have you got some links to share?

1 hour ago, MARTINX9 said:

That was my point - the back to work and see a mate in the park and go out as often as you like was the real trigger. Young people in large numbers have given up following the rules - and who can blame them as it’s their futures and mental health being ruined by lockdown!

Social distancing will allow business to operate, in a manner. The end of lockdown isn't going to be the end of the problem though.