House Price Crash Forum

Coronavirus - potential Black Swan?

HOLA441
18 minutes ago, Si1 said:

But on a global scale they were irresponsible.

China is irresponsible for re-opening the markets after SARS. They have been warned for decades about this, unfortunately its part of their economic model to allow poor farmers a viable method to make a good living. Chinse government  has constantly pushed this method of farming (living with their animals in small farms) as a get rich scheme.

Although China was slow to react initially, by early Jan they were far more proactive. Two weeks additional warning would make no difference to the West as it wasn't willing to accept the bad news and was unwilling to do anything in preparation until people started dying in front of them. Italy was ignored. Sweden and the UK ignored the whole world.

• Replies 58.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arpeggio

• Peter Hun

• Confusion of VIs

• Bruce Banner

HOLA442
HOLA443
42 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Selective stats there dude:

(From my initial link)

"John MacKenzie, the WHO’s emergency committee adviser, told me that the organisation was “a little misled” about the Wuhan outbreak. He says that by the time the government alerted the WHO on 31 December, scientists in China had already determined via genome sequencing that the outbreak was caused by coronavirus. Yet the government didn’t confirm that until 7 January and the full genome sequence was not officially shared until 12 January. “That’s very slow,” MacKenzie told me. “For at least two weeks, we could have been making far more kits and so on for testing.” MacKenzie added that the number of cases officially declared by the Chinese in the first week – 59 in the week ending 5 January – was “nowhere near as many cases as you’d expect”. (The statistics released by the Chinese government continue to be questioned, with some reports suggesting they may have seriously understated the number of coronavirus deaths.)

Despite mounting frustrations – in mid-January, China also refused the WHO’s request to send a team of scientific observers to Hubei province, the centre of the outbreak – Tedros has never come close to doing what Brundtland did and calling China out. Instead, on 28 January, he had a closed-door meeting with Xi Jinping in Beijing, and two days later, he praised Chinese efforts to contain the disease, declaring that China is “setting a new standard for outbreak control”. That same day, 30 January, the WHO declared a Pheic, and began issuing prescriptions to countries around the world. On 8 February, China finally allowed WHO observers into the country. "

Whatever way you cut it the Western governments had more warning and far more data about the virus than the Chinese but despite that their response was abysmal and wasted far more time than China's delayed information sharing.  

What is the motivation for banging on about China there is already plenty of that from those seeking to shift blame from themselves. Don't let yourself be a useful idiot by assisting them with that, they need to be held to account and the less muddying of water the better.

HOLA444
7 minutes ago, Peter Hun said:

China is irresponsible for re-opening the markets after SARS. They have been warned for decades about this, unfortunately its part of their economic model to allow poor farmers a viable method to make a good living. Chinse government  has constantly pushed this method of farming (living with their animals in small farms) as a get rich scheme.

Although China was slow to react initially, by early Jan they were far more proactive. Two weeks additional warning would make no difference to the West as it wasn't willing to accept the bad news and was unwilling to do anything in preparation until people started dying in front of them. Italy was ignored. Sweden and the UK ignored the whole world.

Taiwan was ignored.

HOLA445
48 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Gave up seeking grandeur deluded or not many years ago. Now happy to be working doing something I actually enjoy, at a level where CIO of Brighthouse was a whatever offer, even before I found out just how sh!tty a firm it was. 

"More accurately, the rich need a decent proportion (more the better) of poor people."  

"Longgone is pinning for the days when his unskilled labour could bring in the equivalent of £100k today"

I don`t think your delusions of grandeur has retired at all.  The front line needs a man of your caliber in the trenches with them, that grandeur will keep you safe so nowt to worry about.  

HOLA446
5 hours ago, Si1 said:

True. There was a positive side to our generosity to them in that trading with them dragged much of their population out of poverty.

We'll see what happens.

I wouldn't put it down to 'our generosity'. More the profiteering by the CEO's of western mega-crops. A bowl of rice costs a lot less than paying a living wage in our factories.

HOLA447
HOLA448
4 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

The criticism is about masks for healthworkers, not a supply for the loonies who think that it makes any real difference to themselves.

What do you mean?

HOLA449
HOLA4410
Just now, Riedquat said:

I mean that the whole PPE issue is about supplies to the NHS rather than about supplies for people who need some illusion of doing something to feel happy.

what supplies for other people?

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
3 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Indeed. That's why I'm wondering why you're even bringing it up.

Did you miss the point where we were saying you can make them from Buffs, underpants, and hoover bags?

HOLA4413
3 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Did you miss the point where we were saying you can make them from Buffs, underpants, and hoover bags?

I saw it and was wondering what the point of it was - why bring up "you can make your own" when the subject was criticism about getting supplies to the NHS?

Oh, and if you do make your own if you must use an old bra use the left cup if you don't want to look like a right tit.

(couldn't resist, sorry, even if it was a joke I pinched from elsewhere)

Edited by Riedquat

HOLA4414
2 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

I saw it and was wondering what the point of it was - why bring up "you can make your own" when the subject was criticism about getting supplies to the NHS?

I think we're at crossed purposes, I may have mistook your point. No worries.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
5 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Oh, and if you do make your own if you must use an old bra use the left cup if you don't want to look like a right tit.

(couldn't resist, sorry, even if it was a joke I pinched from elsewhere)

If we restrict supplies purely to the NHS surely more for them? imho 

?

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
2 hours ago, GregBowman said:

It’s her own place in a sheltered block no different to a block of flats really - her own kitchen, sitting room bedroom etc 

When we talk of economical individual value, what is the value of a life? Or are all lives of a different value?.....?

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
2 hours ago, GregBowman said:

Yep ? to be fair lovely little development two storey 10 mins walk to high st and only about 30 flats and  their own common room etc, guest rooms built in the 90’s when they weren’t cramming them in and good quality build 

mum was in hospital nothing major we pay for all the care ourself ( don’t get me going ) but have had a result because of the current situation they have given her a care package including an overnight carer foc for six weeks ( all sorts of special budgets ) To be reviewed 

my brother go in every other night to see her and put her to bed - makes it easier for the girls overnight 

Sounds like she's only there because she likes her independence. Should someone be visiting though everyday if there is risk of infection  ?

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Actually I can't wait for the prime minister to fully recover and can continue to lead....perhaps he after being at the front line of this awful disease will be more empathetic and get them what they need to do the job, those that are of great value.?

Edited by winkie