Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
LetsBuild

Coronavirus - potential Black Swan?

Recommended Posts

UFOs observed flying over the moon's surface:

(That crater they flew over is 125km wide, those ships would be at least 10km long and over a km wide...)

 

Edited by jaseywasey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Unless his medics have very badly screwed up he would have been taken to hospital as soon as his Oxygen levels started to drop, at that stage a standard oxygen mask would be used.

I didn't say it is a good thing,..

But you are saying he would need to be admitted to hospital for simple oxygen therapy, despite the consequent PR disaster?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Sledgehead said:

This is an utter PR disaster. Johnson knows it. Cummings knows it. Hancock knows it. Everyone knows it.

Surely, you know it.

If it meant avoiding this cluster f***,  No.10 would buy a job-lot of these:

Oxygen cylinder

Maybe they already have a stock of these:

Medical-Oxygen_tn.jpg

Why not, after all?

I simply don't buy this idea that he has to be admitted for simple oxygen therapy. CPAP apparatus is available retail for people who suffer from sleep apnea. Here's a face mask:

41ydLrVxkML._SY355_.jpg

Just inject oxygen into that. Get a discreet expert to help.

If on the other hand he needed the full ICU package, that would be quite a different matter and would indeed require a trip to hospital.

It's not as simple as that obviously. He's most likely having a scan, maybe his bloods are looking a bit iffy- there is a cohort of CoVID patients who appear fairly ok despite very low oxygen saturations and can deteriorate very quickly. There is a possibility he'd require a ventilator at some point and they don't want to take any chances. 

But it's a massive PR disaster as you say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Peter Hun said:

He's following the path. Now he's in the 20%, next is the 5%. All up to his genetics.

I agree.  He's surely been getting top-level medical care since diagnosis so he's clearly one of the unlucky percentage of people who for whatever reason develop a 'serious' case requiring hospitalisation.  His chances of ending up a fatality are probably about 1/4 at this stage.

Just WTF is it about the serious cases?  Whilst most get over it within 5-6 days and some even seem barely affected, seems others are just susceptible irrespective of age (although younger, fitter people have a much better chance of eventually pulling through.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Sledgehead said:

But you are saying he would need to be admitted to hospital for simple oxygen therapy, despite the consequent PR disaster?

No but he will be put on Oxygen as a matter of course, while tests scans are being carried out.

Not disputing it is the last thing he would have wanted and a PR disaster.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Big Orange said:

Like the Soviet Union, it looks invincible until it suddenly isn't (with too many fundamentally stupid/insane elites and decades upon decades of institional/economic rot).

If the US federal government collapsed, North America might end up with something more along the lines of the European Union, with separate states forming a common political structure that was much looser.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As others have said Johnson's blood oxygen saturation levels are likely to have dropped. Therefore he has been taken to hospital and is likely to need oxygen therapy. 

If Johnson has Ben hiding a health condition that makes him high risk this is a PR disaster as it brings into question his integrity and his ability to follow his own government's advice. If he hasn't got an underlying health condition then I think the public may be more sympathetic as it shows how this virus can badly affect even the apparently healthy. 

I recommend getting on hold of a decent fingertip sats monitor. How well oxygenated your blood is a key indicator of how badly you are being affected by Covid-19. 

PulseOximeter.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thecrashingisles said:

If the US federal government collapsed, North America might end up with something more along the lines of the European Union, with separate states forming a common political structure that was much looser.

The reality is that the real power of US citizens day to day lives is in the hands of their state government not the federal one. The health care and social security system varies immensely from state to state and a few states have health and social care systems that resemble European models. Others have minimal health and social care provision. Federal health and social care reform is difficult to achieve because of this variation. 

With the states where there is a poor social and health safety net I expect that we are likely to see large scale civil unrest if these leaves many destitute. This explains the economic fixation of the Trump administration as it is one of the few areas they have more control of at federal level. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coronavirus 'game changer' testing kits could be unreliable, UK scientists say

Concern continues over whether government’s virus pledges stand up to scrutiny

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/05/coronavirus-testing-kits-could-be-unreliable-uk-scientists-say 

Looks like you need to have had the illness severely for these kits to work with certainty. With low grade and asymptomatic cases only 50% success rate. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sour Mash said:

I agree.  He's surely been getting top-level medical care since diagnosis so he's clearly one of the unlucky percentage of people who for whatever reason develop a 'serious' case requiring hospitalisation.  

He shouldn't have worked through it, that can't have helped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, onlooker said:

Until another bat is eaten in China.

Or anywhere else. Eating bat isn’t that unusual.

CV did not come from eating bats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Sledgehead said:

This is an utter PR disaster. Johnson knows it. Cummings knows it. Hancock knows it. Everyone knows it.

Surely, you know it.

If it meant avoiding this cluster f***,  No.10 would buy a job-lot of these:

Oxygen cylinder

Maybe they already have a stock of these:

Medical-Oxygen_tn.jpg

Why not, after all?

I simply don't buy this idea that he has to be admitted for simple oxygen therapy. CPAP apparatus is available retail for people who suffer from sleep apnea. Here's a face mask:

41ydLrVxkML._SY355_.jpg

Just inject oxygen into that. Get a discreet expert to help.

If on the other hand he needed the full ICU package, that would be quite a different matter and would indeed require a trip to hospital.

I agree. I currently work in sleep medicine (although I prefer to call it neuroscience), and I deal with the physicians who treat OSA (or was until 3 weeks ago when the NHS closed its doors to pharma staff - rightly so). CPAP is being used a lot in the less severe cases, and if JOhnson could have had care in No 11, then they would have had all the stuff going In the back door. He needs to be put on hydroxychloroquine, azythromicine (i think that was the AB) and possibly leronlimab. If they don’t use drugs I’d say he is in big trouble, The UK Public health authorities and NHS have been desperately behind the curve all along. Spain is using chloroquine en masse now and that is why their death rate is going...nothing to do with social distancing as teh number of cases only stopped rising recently , and deaths lag diagnoses by 3-4 weeks. 

 

Having said that you can’t have a scanner moved into No 11 and that is possibly what he needs in the way of diagnostics.

Edited by HovelinHove

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, HovelinHove said:

 

Having said that you can’t have a scanner moved into No 11 and that is possibly what he needs in the way of diagnostics.

It would also seem inappropriate to move precious physical and human medical resources to Downing Street when they are stretched so thinly as they are in the hospitals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Si1 said:

He shouldn't have worked through it, that can't have helped.

More importantly he should not have caught it in the first place by taking precautions with a less cavalier attitude towards the disease.His arrogant behaviour when meeting COVID patients said it all and now he is paying the price. If Rabb end up as temporary PM then so be it.

Whether the rest of the country will be forgiving about the same contempt for their health with this herd strategy is another matter.

Especially as it appears immunity is not possible without a severe case requiring hospitalisation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This "died from" vs "died with" distinction is curious. How are the editing guidelines being sold to the journos? In other news, a father of three who fell off an eighteen foot ladder is said to have died with the coronavirus...

Edited by Jolly Roger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, thirdwave said:

It's not as simple as that obviously. He's most likely having a scan, maybe his bloods are looking a bit iffy- there is a cohort of CoVID patients who appear fairly ok despite very low oxygen saturations and can deteriorate very quickly. There is a possibility he'd require a ventilator at some point and they don't want to take any chances. 

But it's a massive PR disaster as you say.

This is what happens when you lockdown weeks too late and gable on people lives, including your own. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jolly Roger said:

This "died from" vs "died with" distinction is curious. How are the editing guidelines being sold to the journos? In other news, a father of three who fell off an eighteen foot ladder is said to have died with the coronavirus...

Yes everybody with a brain understands the difference so no need for a stupidly simple example. Besides if he didn’t fall off the ladder in a hospital he won’t have been tested. Anyone dying at home for covid is not included in actual fatality figures. 

Edited by MonsieurCopperCrutch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Simhadri said:

Hiding information costing lives across planet

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11335367/china-costing-lives-coronavirus-lies-claim/

 

UK, USA are the one's who are lying. 

China and WHO especially warned the West about the seriousness of this disease. Over and over and over again.

Quote

Committee chairman Tom Tugendhat said Beijing had initially "allowed disinformation to spread as quickly as the virus".

 

Mr Tugendhat is a lying ******* who is attempting blaming his party's incompetence response that will cost tens of thousands of British lives and hundreds of billions of pounds.

 

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/events-as-they-happen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jaseywasey said:

UFOs observed flying over the moon's surface:

(That crater they flew over is 125km wide, those ships would be at least 10km long and over a km wide...)

 

Why are you posting that here? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Jolly Roger said:

This "died from" vs "died with" distinction is curious. How are the editing guidelines being sold to the journos? In other news, a father of three who fell off an eighteen foot ladder is said to have died with the coronavirus...

😆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Preacherman said:

As others have said Johnson's blood oxygen saturation levels are likely to have dropped. Therefore he has been taken to hospital 

I recommend getting on hold of a decent fingertip sats monitor. How well oxygenated your blood is a key indicator of how badly you are being affected by Covid-19. 

PulseOximeter.jpg

How.much are these things, I could do with one for my high altitude trekking when we are allowed to travel again...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • 396 Brexit, House prices and Summer 2020

    1. 1. Including the effects Brexit, where do you think average UK house prices will be relative to now in June 2020?


      • down 5% +
      • down 2.5%
      • Even
      • up 2.5%
      • up 5%



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.