House Price Crash Forum
LetsBuild

Coronavirus - potential Black Swan?

Spain deaths up 30% to 1300,  if that rate of increase lasts just 14 days,  we are talking 40K deaths per day...

22 minutes ago, Arpeggio said:

OK maybe not then. Let them keep the masks.

40 minutes ago, jaseywasey said:

The biggest outcome of this crisis will be self-sufficiency, isolationism, end of immigration, food & medicine security, and the absolute destruction of international air travel.

Not a F***ing chance.

35 minutes ago, DiggerUK said:

Is anybody else getting scam phone calls that start "I'm from the government and I want to help you " 😷..._

Surely nobody is so gullible that they'll believe that...

Imagine rationing in this day and age.  I mean, how would it even work?  Will there be a gluten free ration book?

Beyond the medical and economic consequences what will the cultural effects be - in this era of wokeness, will people still give a toss about gendered bathrooms when they can't get any bread?

2 hours ago, Peter Hun said:

Seven Days to River Rhine war plan for Russian invasion of Western Europe: No nuclear powers are nuked, only neutral none nuclear countries. Thats the Russian thinking and I bet its US/UK/France as well.

The fighting will be over control of the unarmed ex-countries.

What would be the point of the war, Russia cannot even maintain the infrastructure in the land its got today.

3 minutes ago, slawek said:

I knew it, they will blame it on the EU. 

You clearly thing that is the obvious thing to do- or you would not be saying that...

any way been going on for a while now

https://www.euronews.com/2020/03/06/coronavirus-french-protective-mask-manufacturer-scraps-nhs-order-to-keep-masks-in-france

Edited by debtlessmanc

18 minutes ago, Jolly Roger said:

Imagine rationing in this day and age.  I mean, how would it even work?  Will there be a gluten free ration book?

Beyond the medical and economic consequences what will the cultural effects be - in this era of wokeness, will people still give a toss about gendered bathrooms when they can't get any bread?

"Get Woke, Go Broke" has become "Gone Broke, Forget Woke"

Worth listening, much more powerful than BJ's mumbling. We are going to have more like those and it is going to get 100 times worse. 

Edited by slawek

I posted a couple of weeks ago that my partner works in Wills and Probate- I was expecting her to tell me she was rushed off her feet during Feb, nope. Apparently it went mental since Thursday. It’s crazy how late the ‘herd’ leaves these things! Same with the stockpiling and what I think is coming soon - bank runs.

1 hour ago, Jolly Roger said:

Ahem. 

22 minutes ago, slawek said:

Worth listening. We are going to have more like those and it is going to get 100 times worse. 

We’re a nation of individualists. Me first, I’ll be right, screw the rest.

Island mentality. 

But no man is an island.

People won’t change habits (freedoms! rights!) until they personally know someone damaged by the virus. That’s literally the tipping point because they’re fkn self-obsessed.

2 hours ago, DiggerUK said:

Is anybody else getting scam phone calls that start "I'm from the government and I want to help you " 😷..._

I know April 1st isn't until next Wednesday, but has nobody here heard of Ronald Reagan FFS..._

3 minutes ago, DiggerUK said:

I know April 1st isn't until next Wednesday, but has nobody here heard of Ronald Reagan FFS..._

Eh?

Of course I have, but since you asked a question and my wife had recently received a scam call, purportedly from the government, I answered your question.

1 hour ago, PeanutButter said:

But no man is an island.

I would have been more than happy to deliver your food weekly, while you are in isolation out of your own choice. I will even give you a cuddle and read you a bedtime story (in a hazmat suit for your peace of mind).

3 hours ago, Arpeggio said:

Stwonga togeva

Bottom line in that story is an international trade happened which means the UK now has 130,000 more protective masks than it did the day before. Globalism 1 nationalism 0

Edited by Dorkins

3 hours ago, debtlessmanc said:

Spain deaths up 30% to 1300,  if that rate of increase lasts just 14 days,  we are talking 40K deaths per day...

Spain has been cutting ICU beds year on year, as have France and Italy to much chagrin.

(2015)   https://www.reuters.com/article/us-spain-healthcare/healthcare-looms-over-spanish-vote-as-cuts-hit-hospitals-idUSKBN0NK0FX20150429

Certainly more are needed.

1 hour ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Did you not bother reading the story?

I did but I'm tired of all the death doom and gloom.

22 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

Bottom line in that story is an international trade happened which means the UK now has 130,000 more protective masks than it did the day before. Globalism 1 nationalism 0

Saying “Nicking face masks destined for health workers isn’t globalism.” doesn’t have as much chutzpah.

If International trade is globalism (ergo EU?) to you, fine. Not much to discuss there, keep posting on here using your French computer.

3 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

What would be the point of the war, Russia cannot even maintain the infrastructure in the land its got today.

The Soviets came to the conclusion that there was absolutely nothing on earth worth fighting a nuclear war for. They are the ultimate defensive weapon - nobody will ever attack you.

5 hours ago, longgone said:

I would have thought you would have had a walk in refrigerated room and full house UPS ??

No panic room ?

No need to hide when you own shotguns. Those trying to get in wont have, bringing a kitchen knife and baseball bat to a gun fight is not wise. I wouldn't try and break into a house through a door or window knowing the guy inside had firearms. Pick an easier target.

7 minutes ago, markyh said:

No need to hide when you own shotguns. Those trying to get in wont have, bringing a kitchen knife and baseball bat to a gun fight is not wise. I wouldn't try and break into a house through a door or window knowing the guy inside had firearms. Pick an easier target.

I hope you didn't post anything incriminating when you were wittering on about guns a week or two back. 

I remember when someone was arrested for bragging about what he was going to do with his gun, on this forum, a few years ago.