Top Posters In This Topic

• Peter Hun

• Grayphil

• Confusion of VIs

• Arpeggio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Bruce Banner said:

Lol.  Pensioner shot dead for ignoring instructions that were for his own good, great headline.

Won't make a headline, criminal shot dead for refusing police order. Pah..

2 minutes ago, jiltedjen said:

I have seen a few older relatives be very chilled out about the situation. 

governments have looked after their interests fully their whole lives. Had everything they ever wanted.

Or maybe they are fully aware of their own mortality and are willing to take the risk?

11 minutes ago, jiltedjen said:

governments have looked after their interests fully their whole lives. Had everything they ever wanted.

I remember the shock when gen X etc firemen would not save oldies million £  houses burning in the riots. 

Edited by Si1
10 minutes ago, Peter Hun said:

Or maybe they are fully aware of their own mortality and are willing to take the risk?

They should have the option of wearing dogtags saying do not treat. Seriously. 

12 minutes ago, Peter Hun said:

So we are now in a police state, "obey me without question or I will shoot you"... :rolleyes:.

I am aware of my own mortality but reserve the right to jump out of an aeroplane, or swim the channel without a safety boat, or go out and risk catching a virus that I have a 10% chance of dying from. It's all about risk management and what is acceptable to the individual. Enforced isolation of those suspected of having the virus to protect others is a completely different matter.

3 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

So we are now in a police state, "obey me without question or I will shoot you"... :rolleyes:.

I am aware of my own mortality but reserve the right to jump out of an aeroplane, or swim the channel without a safety boat, or go out and risk catching a virus that I have a 10% chance of dying from. It's all about risk management and what is acceptable to the individual. Enforced isolation of those suspected of having the virus to protect others is a completely different matter.

Ok boomer ;)

31 minutes ago, Si1 said:

I remember the shock when gen X etc firemen would not save oldies million £  houses burning in the riots. 

Originally by Scott and the Dynamic 3, but I think that was a GenX Anthem:

Trump's stumbles and testing failures pave way to disaster

Efforts to avoid panic backfired, says surgeon as country braces for wave of infections without coherent government response.

The US is on course to be severely ravaged by the coronavirus outbreak due to a delayed and dysfunctional testing regime and misleading messaging from the Trump administration, public health experts have warned.

The actual number of infected Americans is certain to be far higher, with the true toll obscured by a calamitous lack of testing. A lack of planning and restrictions that barred testing people without symptoms, even though the virus can be asymptomatic for some time, or those not arriving from overseas virus hotspots has needlessly worsened the situation, critics said.

“The US government didn’t want to cause panic but Americans panic when there they sense there’s no plan. That vacuum creates panic.”

Guardian

Situation in UK is much the same.

But why not give it another week, and we'll see?

Edited by rollover
1 hour ago, jiltedjen said:

This is just not true. Like most people, I had a far better easier life than my parents and my kids are having a far better easier life with far more opportunities than I had.

Whether they make us of them is a different matter.

Edited by Confusion of VIs
34 minutes ago, Travisher said:

A lot of active pensioners saw active service in the forces, Mr Plod might find his taser shoved up his own arsenal if he forgets his oath as a policeman to keep the peace.

Of course what happens when the police and army lose control as they can’t police everywhere so have to prioritise and the drug gangs and other criminal gangs take over the streets. In parts of London some people will stab someone for a tenner.

All this let’s be nice to neighbours might work in Tunbridge Wells or Reigate - less sure that will happen in Tottenham and Romford. When you destroy society and community and a sense of common purpose as we have in recent decades many people simply care about no 1 - in blocks of flats in London many people don’t even know what their neighbours look like let alone their names as they rarely see them and there is such high turnover anyway!  Hundreds of thousand of the elderly  on their own in such flats are almost invisible. If people die at home will anyone notice bar the bad smell. 

I raised this here a while back and people joked about it - but the police are barely in control now! 

We we are about the reap the world wind over prioritising GDP and ever expanding population growth and undermining societal cohesion.

Edited by MARTINX9

Send this to anyone still being cavalier about Covid-19.  Check they don't have an anxiety disorder first though.  I'm putting this here because our views vary but I'm satisfied that the HPC community is robust.

You may have to go to Twitter for the link to work.

1 hour ago, slawek said:

Action to isolate the UK's over-70s for an extended period to shield them from coronavirus is planned in the coming weeks, Health Secretary Matt Hancock has confirmed.

A few weeks is a long time, it could get 100 times worse than now.

People stockpiling food and medicines. Over 70s can't go out and shop in massive quantities. In the end in few weeks time, this ******* boris will isolate over 70s and put them in restricted zones. Their family members have no clue if those elders die in those zones due to virus or silent planned mass cull. Many over 70s passionately voted Tory. Boris and current tories are nastiest scum since WW2. These over 70s survived world war horrors as babies and their parents risked their lives to save the current population who wouldn't even be born had Germans won the war. Boris showing one of the worst inhumane way of treating elders and I pray to God he and his chums will be treated exactly in same way  in their old age.Bastards. ****** you Corbyn. You allowed these guys into power. Had you allowed a New Labour candidate to compete, things would have been different. Even Ed Miliband is better.

1 hour ago, Bruce Banner said:

I do this now, and also avoid unnecessary contact.

England is the most densely populated nation in Europe - not that easy for a lot of people.

Not everyone has cars so have to get public transport to go to the shop to buy food - they might have a small corner shop nearby but the nearest big store could be a mile or more away. Quite a long walk for many elderly people!

Edited by MARTINX9