House Price Crash Forum

Coronavirus - potential Black Swan?

HOLA441
13 minutes ago, stalledFTB said:

I work as a delivery driver in London.The advice to wash my hands for 20 seconds in hot soapy water is laughable. Where am I supposed to do this? In London's non existent public toilets? The customers toilets which I am not allowed to use, not that I would feel comfortable asking in the first place. I deliver to 30 plus addresses a day, I have to get a signature off my hand held device, perfect virus transmission environment. 

All the couriers in the major Cities and towns will face this issue, I feel I am in the front line for infection.

Could you get latex gloves and change them every 5-10 addresses? And retrain yourself not to touch your face at all? Also some anti bacterial spray for your hand held device, spray it every few addresses. I know it would be a little inconvenient, but could be the difference between picking up the virus or not. 

• Replies 58.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arpeggio

• Peter Hun

• Confusion of VIs

• Bruce Banner

HOLA442
1 minute ago, Orb said:

Could you get latex gloves and change them every 5-10 addresses? And retrain yourself not to touch your face at all? Also some anti bacterial spray for your hand held device, spray it every few addresses. I know it would be a little inconvenient, but could be the difference between picking up the virus or not. 

Anti bacterial spray won't be much use against a virus.

HOLA443
HOLA444
30 minutes ago, Orb said:

Why?

Because viruses aren't bacteria !

To kill bacteria - anti bacterial, anti biotics.

To kill viruses you need anti-virals. Alcohol seems to do a good job as well. The hand washing with soap I think is more to wash the virus away than kill although I heard something about destabilising lipid membranes - do viruses even have lipid membranes, that sounds like a bacterial thing.

HOLA445

Possible signs of life in the Chinese economy courtesy of the Tom Tom Traffic Index.

FT Alphaville:  Coronavirus: green shoots? (Registration but not subscription required.)

Personally I think that the CCP will soon realise that economic collapse is a greater threat to its grip on power than an epidemic and it will begin to abandon containment, if it hasn't already.

HOLA446
1 hour ago, stalledFTB said:

I work as a delivery driver in London.The advice to wash my hands for 20 seconds in hot soapy water is laughable. Where am I supposed to do this? In London's non existent public toilets? The customers toilets which I am not allowed to use, not that I would feel comfortable asking in the first place. I deliver to 30 plus addresses a day, I have to get a signature off my hand held device, perfect virus transmission environment. 

All the couriers in the major Cities and towns will face this issue, I feel I am in the front line for infection.

I have often wondered where delivery drivers can use a toilet.....and yes those screens must have all sorts of bugs on them.....gos for any screen that the public touch, ordering food etc, perhaps they could supply a stylus pen for people to use rather than fingers?.?

HOLA447
1 hour ago, stalledFTB said:

Disposable latex gloves and hand wipes.

Cutting one of these in half will still give you enough material to thoroughly clean your hands. ?

Use the other half for surfaces.

M46456_2_Clinell_Antibacterial_Hand_Wipe

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Gloves good suggestion.

Can't think of much else - keep your distance from the customer.

Will a toothpick or cocktail stick work as a stylus ?

I suppose you could hold the check device while they sign, but then you have to get close. In some ways it would be more helpful to do it the old fashioned way where people sign a ticket.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
2 hours ago, stalledFTB said:

Bring along some water and warm it up, there must be some kind of portable water heating device you can rig together 

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
2 hours ago, Chunketh said:

Breakdown from one of the best sources at the moment

Agreed - Dr John Mr cool calm and collected from the Home Counties. Just him and his wife sorting out the Wi-fi connection giving us more useful info and updates on the progress of this worldwide than the entire UK media and government put together. 

I hope he keeps safe and continues his work as this unfolds!

HOLA4417
5 minutes ago, MARTINX9 said:

Agreed - Dr John Mr cool calm and collected from the Home Counties. Just him and his wife sorting out the Wi-fi connection giving us more useful info and updates on the progress of this worldwide than the entire UK media and government put together. 

I hope he keeps safe and continues his work as this unfolds!

Amen to that. He's been calling this out for what it is for over a month, the guy deserves a medal. Other channels are not so evidence based. Peak prosperity being scaremonger in chief.

HOLA4418
6 minutes ago, Chunketh said:

Gloves, to remind you not to touch your face? Pocket hand sanitizer? 

Get a box of blue vinyl disposable gloves. Put a pair on before exiting the van. Practice pulling one off so that it wraps the other and then pull the second one of by pinching through the one you pulled off. That way they both end up inside out and one inside the other. Shove them in a bag for disposal at the end of the day.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
10 hours ago, Dorkins said:

Depends on the nice house:basic house exchange rate. As the well-housed older generations cark it over the next 20 years there are going to be a lot of nice houses for sale and not many people to buy the as the middle generations are repaying 5x joint 30+ year mortgages on basic houses.

I think the "nice Houses" will continue to sell well, the top 10% have done well over the past 15yrs and if they have a deposit can easily afford the payments. 

It is the not so nice houses that will be very hard to sell. 

HOLA4421
6 hours ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

DYOR. There's enough information on the web about the rise of asthma in China (that appears to be pollution related) and the percentage population involved.

I know without looking that the UK has one of the highest asthma rates and China one of the lowest. Now, if asthma is not a risk factor, fair enough, young British won't be at increased risk because of it. But are we sufficiently sure of that?  Populations in high asthma countries like the UK have not been exposed to the virus in the wild for long enough to know this yet.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
9 hours ago, Riedquat said:

If it kills viruses then it's an anti bacterial and an anti viral.

Not wanting to take this thread off the topic of the ongoing developments surrounding COVID-19, but have been curious to know.....

For those places (e.g. GP surgeries, schools, etc) that we have been seeing lately in the media as having been closed down for 'deep cleaning'.....what are the methods/chemicals/etc that are typically used? are there any possible longer term toxicity issues?  I gather that in hospitals/medical establishments some sterilant gases are used and/or strong UV lights?

As for ordinary domestic residences, IF any of us get infected (and hopefully all survive!) how does one best go about completely sterilising/sanitising their home? OR do you just not bother and, for those who were not infected, switch on the central heating full blast and temporarily vacate the premises for a week or two and let any virus contaminated surfaces/objects become sterile with passage of the required time?

HOLA4425
13 minutes ago, winkie said:

How many diagnosis tests have been undertaken?......where do people go for the test?.....how long before get a result??

In the uk they deliver a kit to your home. How long it takes varies as there are many ways of doing it and improved tests are being released. Uk had the highest rate of testing to positive results as of a week ago. Uk had done 9000 tests USA 500 and China 300,0000,

Test results in hours to 5days.