House Price Crash Forum

Leeds businessman subject to first "McMafia" order over alleged links to organised crime has £1.13m frozen

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/crime/leeds-businessman-subject-to-first-mcmafia-order-over-alleged-links-to-organised-crime-has-1-13m-frozen-1-10199034/amp

Leeds businessman subject to the first "McMafia" order over alleged links to organised crime has had £1.13 million frozen by investigators.

Leeds entrepreneur Mansoor Mahmood Hussain, 39, is being asked to either explain the source of his wealth or hand it over to the National Crime Agency

Just now, dougless said:

These bloody criminals have stolen the web pages now.  Anyway, it warms the heart to see these characters assets frozen.

A judge one told me that hard cases make bad laws. This is once such example. It starts with siezing the assets of organised crime bosses. Then the precedent has been set and it moves to drug dealers, then burglars, then anyone the they can damn well think of.

We don't need the state going around taking people's stuff. That's not how we do things.

Mixed feelings, obviously there are a lot of criminals playing the system and getting away with it.

On the other hand, the policies of major central banks make me think it is a good idea to keep a certain amount of assets completely out of the system.  Would the police listen to your explanation that you converted your pension pot into gold and buried it on the back garden?

18 hours ago, Biggus said:

A judge one told me that hard cases make bad laws. This is once such example. It starts with siezing the assets of organised crime bosses. Then the precedent has been set and it moves to drug dealers, then burglars, then anyone the they can damn well think of.

We don't need the state going around taking people's stuff. That's not how we do things.

Rather agree. I've no problem with confiscating wealth off criminals but "prove yourself innocent otherwise we punish you" is not a direction I want to go in. It's up to the state to prove guilt, not the other way around. And to keep things on the straight and narrow that has to apply even when the person involved is as suspicious and unpleasant as hell.

6 hours ago, Riedquat said:

Rather agree. I've no problem with confiscating wealth off criminals but "prove yourself innocent otherwise we punish you" is not a direction I want to go in. It's up to the state to prove guilt, not the other way around. And to keep things on the straight and narrow that has to apply even when the person involved is as suspicious and unpleasant as hell.

If it's legal income he'll have absolutely no trouble proving it tbh. 

If you've over a million quid you can't explain then well...

I'd rather the courts went after numpties like this than some chav with a few pot plants in his cupboard.