House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pete95

Effect Of Increasing Instability On House Prices?

Ive often read how a lot of money from foreign investors finds it way into the UK, and subsequently the UK property market, because of the UK's reputation as being a safe place to invest.

However after this issue with these cartoons "upsetting" Muslims (I wont go into detail, Im sure every knows the score) it is starting to look we may well see increasing unrest in the UK, with terrorist attacks on UK soil sadly becoming frequent events. IMO more 7/7 style attacks this year are a dead cert.

Do people think this may turn investors away from the UK as a traditional 'safe haven' for investment?

We've seen how 9/11 and 7/7 effected stock markets. Im not sure how fairly frequent IRA bombings effected the amount of overseas investment coming into the UK, but Im sure the effect was negative.

If this is a realistic effect, then surely its yet another nail in the coffin for UK house prices... :unsure:

Name somewhere else in the world safer with better returns.....

Japan and Canada (huge oil reserves) looks good.

If the Mujahadeen (spelling?) rise up and young men go on a "holy war" and bomb our cities it will inevitably unsettle the financial markets and freeze investment. London will be hit hardest as that is where most of the "Holy Wariors" will target. We may see a 9/11 effect again with people rushing for the country. Let's hope this does not take place and that the international tension decreases very soon.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4682262.stm

Edited by Realistbear

Yeah, I wish I'd shifted my money to Canada at the start of last year, not the middle: though gold has been doing better than Canadian dollars lately.

However, if the Iran thing does blow over and oil prices drop back to $50 a barrel, the Canadian dollar will sink quite a way.

If.

Guest muttley

Why would Islamic terrorists target Britain over cartoons printed in a Danish newspaper?

I think the UK came out of this rather well,as overall we are a pretty tolerant nation,and respectful to other religions.

Pete,I don't agree with your comment

, with terrorist attacks on UK soil sadly becoming frequent events.

Why would Islamic terrorists target Britain over cartoons printed in a Danish newspaper?

I think the UK came out of this rather well,as overall we are a pretty tolerant nation,and respectful to other religions.

The UK and US are perceived as principle protagonists in the Iraq/Afghanistan Wars. If Iran's Nuclear project gets greased there will no doubt be some retaliation to come. If DK takes a hit the EU will be bound to respond, including UK.

All this uncertainty is not good for business and may be the HPC catalyst. It will not take much as the market is, IMHO, already on a knife edge which accounts for the large amount of VI spin over the past few weeks.

Edited by Realistbear

Indeed. Why did extremists demonstrate in london dressed as suicide bombers and carrying placards supporting the 7/7 bombings? There is little rationality in this.

These people have an agenda, and I fear that it will start to gain traction if the police don't crack down on such provocation. It won't be long until we see opposing groups of thugs in the streets, and as always they will target exactly the wrong people.

Edited by 2MeterBear

To be fair, it was the government reaction which hit the airlines, not the terrorists. I used to fly all the time before 9/11, now I hate it with all that fake 'security' crap.

Ive often read how a lot of money from foreign investors finds it way into the UK, and subsequently the UK property market, because of the UK's reputation as being a safe place to invest.

However after this issue with these cartoons "upsetting" Muslims (I wont go into detail, Im sure every knows the score) it is starting to look we may well see increasing unrest in the UK, with terrorist attacks on UK soil sadly becoming frequent events. IMO more 7/7 style attacks this year are a dead cert.

Do people think this may turn investors away from the UK as a traditional 'safe haven' for investment?

We've seen how 9/11 and 7/7 effected stock markets. Im not sure how fairly frequent IRA bombings effected the amount of overseas investment coming into the UK, but Im sure the effect was negative.

If this is a realistic effect, then surely its yet another nail in the coffin for UK house prices... :unsure:

IMO, the next A-Q spectacular will be on the oil infrastructure. Al Zawquari's already flagged it, the oil fire at Hemel Hempstead last year will not have gone unnoticed. It'll be done in the most accessible place - I expect a major attack on Nigeria's oil in the next few months...it's what I'd do if I was Osama, anyway. Fairly easy target, worldwide consequences that hit western citizens in the pocket.

One significant explosion in London could drop house prices overnight. Look how terrorism affected Airlines after 9/11.

There will be a big one eventually, and it will have an effect. Despite all the bull about Londoners not being affected, I personally know many people who are now avoiding the tube and riding bicycles instead. This again is irrational as at least in the case of my sister she refuses a)to wear a helmet B) to wear high visibility clothing and c) wears an ipod as she sails down the seven sisters road. I suspect she is 100 times more likely to be injured and killed by this behaviour than she would be riding the tube.

Indeed. Why did extremists demonstrate in london dressed as suicide bombers and carrying placards supporting the 7/7 bombings? There is little rationality in this.

These people have an agenda, and I fear that it will start to gain traction if the police don't crack down on such provocation. It won't be long until we see opposing groups of thugs in the streets, and as always they will target exactly the wrong people.

Call me Mr Conspiracy, but they were allowed to demonstrate for a reason. I don't know what the reason is, but if Ian Blair himself let that unauthorised demo go ahead (as appears to be the case), then we have to conclude that someone in the government wanted shots of UK muslims boasting about 7/7 and 9/11 all over the TV and the tabloids.

Who knows what the long term plan is? Cheap labour is now accessible from the former Eastern Bloc...it wouldn't surprise me at all if serious restrictions were placed on the immigration of muslims from Pakistan and N. Africa etc were imposed all over Europe.

Call me Mr Conspiracy, but they were allowed to demonstrate for a reason. I don't know what the reason is, but if Ian Blair himself let that unauthorised demo go ahead (as appears to be the case), then we have to conclude that someone in the government wanted shots of UK muslims boasting about 7/7 and 9/11 all over the TV and the tabloids.

Who knows what the long term plan is? Cheap labour is now accessible from the former Eastern Bloc...it wouldn't surprise me at all if serious restrictions were placed on the immigration of muslims from Pakistan and N. Africa etc were imposed all over Europe.

Or worse, they are getting ready to grease Iran :o

IMO, the next A-Q spectacular will be on the oil infrastructure. Al Zawquari's already flagged it, the oil fire at Hemel Hempstead last year will not have gone unnoticed. It'll be done in the most accessible place - I expect a major attack on Nigeria's oil in the next few months...it's what I'd do if I was Osama, anyway. Fairly easy target, worldwide consequences that hit western citizens in the pocket.

Bush loves it as his holdings in oil companies goes up and our man blair wants to introdue ID cards and a police state. Don't forget that the bin-ladens are best friends with Bush and this dates back many years and continued after 9/11.

Was there to be a protest by a rightwing party then the police would soon break that up i thinks so don't tell me about freedom of speach, you are free as long as you say what govement say you can say.

It's all a bit late for that in the UK

Edited by Justice

Completely disagree with you think the UK came out the worst. I'm not religious and reserve my right as someone that lives in a country that supposedly has free speech to poke fun at religion. People can worship any religion and must accept the right of others to have the own views.

All the nations in Europe should have backed up Denmark which is a liberal country and most of Europe did. The UK however managed to in the same week try and prosecute members of the BNP (what they said was of course wrong) and also allow Muslims with banners to threaten to kill people - A complete double standard.

Free speech needs to be defended and as usual our Government & Police have failed to stand up for principles that Europe should be proud of i.e. Tolerance and Free Speech. I do however happen to agree that incitement to violence should be a crime and from what I saw there was no better example of this than the Muslim demonstration.

If the Mujahadeen (spelling?) rise up and young men go on a "holy war" and bomb our cities it will inevitably unsettle the financial markets and freeze investment.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4682262.stm

Although suicide bombers create a lot of terror (the main idea) I don't think they will acheive such a major effect, simply becasue a lot of them are all talk and no action

Even in hot spots like Iraq or Israel, there are not exactly a huge number actually becoming martyrs

Figure it out - there are thousands that threaten to do it, but very few actually really do it

And when they do for every 'spectacular', many are a waste of time

American kids in high schools that go on a killing spree, probably take as many people, as an 'average' mouthy muslim suicide bomber

One significant explosion in London could drop house prices overnight. Look how terrorism affected Airlines after 9/11.

I don't know about that, RB.

I think it could quite conceivably have the opposite effect. The equity markets would see a big fall, and there would be lots of fears about the impact on the economy, which would put pressure on the central banks to lower rates. People would flee to the "safety" of property, reversing the flow of money to the stock market that we've seen for the last year and a half. This is my interpretation of what happened after 9/11.

The two things that will send house prices tumbling imho are higher interest rates and higher unemployment. Otherwise, it will be a slow grind down.