House Price Crash Forum

I suspect the market's died, and the election bounce was small

Si1

HOLA441
18 hours ago, scottbeard said:

In my case it's more that I'm fed up of people being rude to me, or just entrenched and tired debates about the European Union.

Scott - ignore the rude comments or just laugh at them -do not worry about it

You are one of the sensible folk here who does not resort to infantile insults if you do not agree with someone else's point of view.

If there were loads of posts it would have been because there the housing market was falling on it's feet 

17 hours ago, prozac said:

It’s not this forum, it’s a reflection of this country

To be fair I do  not agree - this is the only place I know where the EU debate carries on regardless - I have mates and family  who voted leave and who voted remain but are just getting on with their lives rather than say the same thing over and over and over an..... 

None of us have fallen out over it none of us call each other name - we all respect the other person has the right to a different opinion and have moved on

16 hours ago, Bluestone59 said:

Road works and Attenborough and Thumbag going on about climate change make me quickly revert to obnoxious.

LOL Agreed

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
14 minutes ago, Locke said:

It is hilarious when people suffering from these echochamber delusions and rage gripe about the other "side" being deluded and trapped in an echochamber.

When did I claim I wasn’t? Nevertheless, well done for reducing an interesting talking point into a binary us/them dismissal. Thumbs up emoji. The point still stands that people are being groomed into extremes of emotion that destroy all chance of debate and subtlety.

Like now.

15 minutes ago, Locke said:

You understand that your chart blows apart your particular brand of fearmongering, right?

I'd ask if you were an idiot, but...

And there we go. Rudeness. Name calling. Baseless accusations. Nothing sensible to add to the conversation. Just like in every scenario.

Don’t you ever get tired of being ‘mad online’ to strangers? 

Silly question. Of course not. Strong emotions are too addictive. 

Edit to add: this is how forums die. They get repetitive and boring.

Edited by PeanutButter

HOLA443
9 hours ago, DonJop12 said:

Yes, that has caused me to be a bit quiet on here. GE2017 gave me reason for optimism. While the electorate was sharply divided by age it looked as though a tipping point was approaching when politics would shift away from the interests of boomers. Clearly GE2019 has torpedoed that thesis. There was a political realignment but not quite the one I was expecting.

Not much changed about the age divide between GE2017 and GE2019.

With Corbynism dying anti-Tory vote was more spread among other parties. In the FPTP system that means a huge gains for Tories, even if their share of votes has practically not changed. 

image.png.052d008527ecffa1eee9bbc192870239.pngimage.png.1fadaccf7d75c99987020cf9054426ea.png

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
51 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

When did I claim I wasn’t? Nevertheless, well done for reducing an interesting talking point into a binary us/them dismissal. Thumbs up emoji. The point still stands that people are being groomed into extremes of emotion that destroy all chance of debate and subtlety.

Surely that is partly the fault of the left for calling everyone who disagree with them evil, racist, gammon etc?

Fortunately it has not worked that well but sadly hasn't changed them. 

It isn't IMHO racist to complain about someone getting off a plane and getting a nicer home than you can afford.

HOLA447
HOLA448
31 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

It isn't IMHO racist to complain about someone getting off a plane and getting a nicer home than you can afford.

Over christmas standing at the bar of one of my usual haunts in central London two guys talking about how one of them pretended to be homeless for two years and got given a flat to live in and bought for a song under the RTB scheme. apparently the council stuck him in a hotel for two months and bought a place for him. 

i could of smashed the glass with my fist at the time, seems everyone else is making out like bandits and poor old dumb savers like me get nothing apart from more sick of all this chit. 

HOLA449
6 minutes ago, longgone said:

Over christmas standing at the bar of one of my usual haunts in central London two guys talking about how one of them pretended to be homeless for two years and got given a flat to live in and bought for a song under the RTB scheme. apparently the council stuck him in a hotel for two months and bought a place for him. 

i could of smashed the glass with my fist at the time, seems everyone else is making out like bandits and poor old dumb savers like me get nothing apart from more sick of all this chit. 

Don't let the barstaff get you down.;)

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
35 minutes ago, longgone said:

If there were no benefits, no one could abuse them.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
48 minutes ago, longgone said:

Wow - that is awful.  I am surprised thought that he could do that, a friend of mine was homeless and got nothing as he was a man.  Fortunately he did get a rich girlfriend later on.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
1 hour ago, longgone said:

Where was your manor when you were younger, Wood Green, Camden, harringay, crouch end?

HOLA4420
53 minutes ago, hurlerontheditch said:

there is a lot of pent up buyers out there who want to get on with life

A friend of mine within the M25 has been kite flying since 2018 - a couple of offers since then fizzled out but everything changed after the General Election when I started getting much more upbeat texts from him. Last night he texted to let me know he exchanged yesterday, completion in a fortnight.

Expecting to hear he'd dropped the price to secure the sale, he's just confirmed  it actually went for £15k over asking! Not a huge amount given this was a 3/4 million pound property but still surprised me considering it had been on the market for over a year.

In a similar vein my girlfiend was gutted to discover two properties in our village were sold over Christmas without estate agents even being appointed - one of which she would have loved to buy for her mum.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
7 hours ago, nome said:

Fair enough the specific area of climate change is debatable, but I don't see how people highlighting the destruction of entire ecosystems and rightly deriding the fantasy of eternal economic growth can make you angry to the point of obnoxiousness.

Fatigue basically.

If they and others were just deriding ecodestruction and the fantasy of perpetual growth I'd be right behind them, subject only to the proviso that I don't get hours of it every day. 

Climates have changed before, allegedly. Human activity, while most likely making things a lot worse is, I suspect, only part of that process.

The vilification of those who have raised doubts about the science - and not even denyers - makes me intensely suspicious that someone is going to make a lot of money and doesn't want reasonable debate getting in their way.

The sight of Corbyn's brother mounting a lone demonstration and saying it's all lies right in front of ER's vigorous protest was in a way comical and for me also slightly heartening.

It wouldn't be the first time the lone voice in the wilderness was proved correct over the majority.

Fear is a useful tool for extracting taxes and subjugating people and I think Piers himself has made that point.

Taking weeks to cross the Atlantic in an electric boat isn't going to save the planet anytime soon. And so on.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425