House Price Crash Forum

I suspect the market's died, and the election bounce was small

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Si1 said:

The low activity on hpc suggests to me that there's eff all going on in the housing market.

In my case it's more that I'm fed up of people being rude to me, or just entrenched and tired debates about the European Union.

Generally, the less I post on HPC the happier I am.  This is my second post of 2020.  Hopefully I can find the willpower to make it my last.

52 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

In my case it's more that I'm fed up of people being rude to me, or just entrenched and tired debates about the European Union.

Generally, the less I post on HPC the happier I am.  This is my second post of 2020.  Hopefully I can find the willpower to make it my last.

It’s not this forum, it’s a reflection of this country, the amount of people I have heard who are leaving the country....well large numbers...this is not the same country it was a decade ago, it is angry and bitter and jealous 

5 minutes ago, prozac said:

It’s not this forum, it’s a reflection of this country, the amount of people I have heard who are leaving the country....well large numbers...this is not the same country it was a decade ago, it is angry and bitter and jealous 

Is that just because of the shocking inequality promoted by central bank and govt policies?

20 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Is that just because of the shocking inequality promoted by central bank and govt policies?

Very true......whether it was like that in years gone by is not the point, the issue is, it is more open and transparent, in your face today, how hard you work makes no different today.

8 minutes ago, prozac said:

No, people are not nice anymore 

People are nice, but there are more selfish people who look upon others as an irritant and inconvenience....lots of impatience out there with less time available for others. ;)  

47 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Those policies have certainly widened the gap between the have and have nots significantly. If you happened to own a decent house prior to 2008 (or even better, 1999), you're ok. Otherwise you're never going to have the wealth and opportunity your elders did all else being equal (same job etc).

I get into heated debates with certain extended family members who refuse to accept that anything like this has transpired and "it was always hard". I have underlying bitterness about this, but I at least recognise it as unhelpful and try to move on and just play their rigged game for the best for my family.

I hope one day not to think about it at all, hence I am just living as frugally as possible, saving as much as possible, so I can bow out of the system soon.

Edited by dugsbody
4 minutes ago, dugsbody said:

Those policies have certainly widened the gap between the have and have nots significantly. If you happened to own a decent house prior to 2008 (or even better, 1999), you're ok. Otherwise you're never going to have the wealth and opportunity your elders did all else being equal (same job etc).

I get into heated debates with certain extended family members who refuse to accept that anything like this has transpired and "it was always hard". I have underlying bitterness about this, but I at least recognise it as unhelpful and try to move on and just play their rigged game for the best for my family.

I hope one day not to think about it at all, hence I am just living as frugally as possible, saving as much as possible, so I can bow out of the system soon.

You are living frugally but those within the groups chosen to be winners are not living frugally , they are living it up at your cost.

57 minutes ago, prozac said:

While I have no difficulty believing you, I'm not having this experience myself. 

If you are feeling down in yourself is it not possible you are in some measure attracting poor sentiment?

Then again, looking further down the page why wouldn't this be the case?  I'm not blaming you btw, at least I don't intend to.

4 minutes ago, Wayward said:

You are living frugally but those within the groups chosen to be winners are not living frugally , they are living it up at your cost.

I can't help that. The game was rigged and I never benefited. But I can only go forward and using as much debt to own a house as possible while they continue to prop up the market through low rates, printing etc and erode my debt.

After that, I live well within my means and save hard, which means I can get out of here at some point.

9 minutes ago, Bluestone59 said:

While I have no difficulty believing you, I'm not having this experience myself. 

If you are feeling down in yourself is it not possible you are in some measure attracting poor sentiment?

Then again, looking further down the page why wouldn't this be the case?  I'm not blaming you btw, at least I don't intend to.

Sometimes I am not myself 

Edited by prozac
13 minutes ago, prozac said:

Sometimes I am not myself 

Have to admit that the Mrs is in a near permanently foul mood because of her sh1t job. I would be.

Road works and Attenborough and Thumbag going on about climate change make me quickly revert to obnoxious.

27 minutes ago, Wayward said:

Is there any correlation between activity on HPC and activity in the housing market? I doubt it.  I expect many have just lost hope.

The reason I posited there may be, is that in the regional fora they tend to die the death when those local markets are stagnant. Just guessed that may be an issue at national level too.

1 hour ago, Bluestone59 said:

Have to admit that the Mrs is in a near permanently foul mood because of her sh1t job. I would be.

Road works and Attenborough and Thumbag going on about climate change make me quickly revert to obnoxious.

Arnt most jobs overstretched And underpaid nowadays.

nothing much happening, by all rights the housing market and stock market should be crashing, but its not, as the game is rigged, they are not allowed to fall.

so we sit going sideways for a bit, unless it clear to everyone in the world that falls are out of the question, at which point we are in for the mother of all bubbles, a 9 year run up to a blow off top, 2029 will be a massive bust.

might sound like hell for us on HPC, but i cant see the market endless trading sideways for 10 years, and its not allowed to fall, where else will it go?

it will start slowly at first, then speed up and up and up. 2020, 2021 quite still and dull, 2022 some small increase, 2023 a bit more, 2024 a big jump, and suddenly we are off to the races.

the boomers wont be dead in large enough numbers by then, so no massive house building schemes in those 10 years, a big sloshing of money between houses and shares in a 9 year orgy. 

i dont think we will see that much technology in that time, just poorer quality for higher prices in cars and houses, all the tech is just going to be spent on making things super cheap to make (but not cheap to sell).

the young priced out of any kind of life will all start to get quite radical about climate change, but not driven through a love of nature or the world, but through a kind of hatred to those who can afford things, i mean the young wont care that car tax shoots up when they cant afford cars will they? everyone i know who cares about the environment dont actually really care about it at all, they just are directionless in life, unable to even get started, and rebels without a cause will always find one, and then its suddenly fits their image, instead of being a waster, or socially inept, they are instead climate change activists

although i do hope flying gets more expensive, its shocking how bad that is for the environment or the sake of two weeks in spain package holiday. 

the inequality between ages, regions, different groups will all grow bigger. Might get some decent roads on the main routes between london and holiday destinations as the tax coffers swell. 

crime will probably go down as things all end up with trackers and remote locks etc. 

26 minutes ago, jiltedjen said:

, all the tech is just going to be spent on making things super cheap to make (but not cheap to sell).

How cheap will anything be to keep?......growing costs, rents, insurance, service, maintenance, fuel and taxes to hold.....that will be the biggest cost of holding/owning/using anything in the future??