House Price Crash Forum

Artificial Intellience - Deepl translation tool

Arpeggio

Recently I paid an Agency > human to translate 5000 words of text English to Spanish. Out of curiosity I put some of the original English paragraphs through Deepl > Spanish and found that some words that are very specific to my field were different than the Human > Spanish translation.

I then searched for those Spanish terms and found that all Spanish content (websites, videos) used the terms that Deepl > Spanish gave me but none used the Human > Spanish terms. I concluded from this that as much as the human may have been a good translator they were not knowledgeable in my field and therefore not for words specific to it.

Of course, being versed only in English I cannot compare the grammatical correctness or sentence structure between the two. That said, I have read nothing but very positive feedback about Deepl for that too, while my texts are all technical non-fiction with no idioms or metaphors etc. that might be an issue in translation (e.g. the correct "in a nutshell" as a metaphor to summarize vs an incorrect "in a nutcase" that might be output by a robot for a language that does not have such a metaphor).

I have now decided, as have others, to use Deepl and will therefore need a human to post edit / proof read. Machine translation post editing is a service I have seen offered although relatively thin on the ground translation industry wise (as far as I can tell). To be honest it feels a bit weird because it seems the way things are going, eventually even that job might be done by A.I. The rate charged by Machine translation Post editors seems to be 50 - 75% of translation. On Freelancer style websites some of the offers to do this by translators themselves seem low to me, so I will probably offer 2x as much as there's is an almost certain return on investment for me as a business.

Quite interesting. Anyone else have knowledge or experience with this? I thought those of you who are computer inclined might find interesting.

DeepL is a fairly decent translation engine. 

Humans who are truly not bilingual/multilingual who resort to dictionaries are more likely to make word context errors. 

13 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

DeepL is a fairly decent translation engine. 

Humans who are truly not bilingual/multilingual who resort to dictionaries are more likely to make word context errors.

Agree. You are talking about translation I take it, as opposed to post checking DeepL by a human? DeepL does often understand context too as I have tested myself. Some words of a single spelling can also mean completely different things in some languages, I assume because most languages don't have as many different words as English. I've know for a while that human translators use Machine translating anyway.

https://ubersetzung417551016.wordpress.com/2020/01/11/deepl/

"As an example of the power of DeepL, this entry is translated in its entirety with this translator from my Spanish writing, without modifying any letters of the DeepL translation."

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what Pallidum (part of the brain) is in Spanish? Nucleus Accumbens and Amygdala seem to be the same. This is nothing to do with the above 5000 word translation by the way.

Archived