House Price Crash Forum
libitina

C Of E To Sell Off Social Housing

And you will not find a greedier bunch

This one has been empty for 4 months at least

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-521...a_n=2&tr_t=rent

No kitchen, at all not an oven a unit or anything.

A bathroom you wouldn't put your cat in nevermind your child.

No garden

Carpets that came of the ark

On a main road

And they wouldn't accept 800 a month (with me putting in a bathroom)

It's going to be sold soon, can't wait to see the asking price but some numpty will buy it because it's a project.

I've noticed the Church Commissioners selling off residential property in Lincolnshire recently too. Mainly small cottages, not in large quantities but just a continual drip feed of 3 or 4 onto the market every so often.

Surprising really, because you would think the C of E would be "in it for the long term" if anyone was.

Edited by Neil D Possitt

I've noticed the Church Commissioners selling off residential property in Lincolnshire recently too. Mainly small cottages, not in large quantities but just a continual drip feed of 3 or 4 onto the market every so often.

Surprising really, because you would think the C of E would be "in it for the long term" if anyone was.

The C of E may own a lot of churches but they are cash strapped. They have inherited massive medieval buildings that cost a fortune to repair and maintain. They are mostly Grade I listed and cannot be converted or torn down--they also form part of our heritage and are a large tourist draw. Most C of E members give a pathetic amount compared with "Free Churches" which means most Anglican churches have to be centrally subsidized by the C of E establishment and they can only raise money by selling off properties or collecting rents.

The CoE can well remember the last crash! They got done badly! Perhaps the Commissioners are a bit smarter this time round... :lol::lol::lol:

But seriously, this is a big problem. The CoE does have a big pensions gap, but I don't see how we (yes, I am a card-carrying Anglican) can carry on with this selling-off-the-silverware strategy. I don't actually think that the ABC will allow the Commissioners to sell the housing off to private companies, I think he will insist they sell the housing to a social housing agency.

ABC? Archbishop of Canterbury?

yeah

RB - you're right. CoE won't exist in its current form for too much longer, IMO. African ABC within 30 years, I reckon...

yeah

RB - you're right. CoE won't exist in its current form for too much longer, IMO. African ABC within 30 years, I reckon...

RichM. I am also part of the Anglican Communion but favour disestablishment and complete independence from the Crown and State (Roman Emperor Constantine's heresy IMHO). Let someone else worry about the buildings (National Trust?) that cannot be supported by giving or existing trusts. My church was left money years ago that continues to cover the building and some of the expenses and there are probably others like it.

I am sure the National Trust would be pleased to take over the Cathedrals and Bishop's palaces and allow these poorly paid servants to live in a normal draft free house!

I also agree that there are big changes coming and see a split with the liberals going on their, err, merry way and the conservatives theirs. Bishop Tom Wright for AB!

RichM. I am also part of the Anglican Communion but favour disestablishment and complete independence from the Crown and State (Roman Emperor Constantine's heresy IMHO). Let someone else worry about the buildings (National Trust?) that cannot be supported by giving or existing trusts. My church was left money years ago that continues to cover the building and some of the expenses and there are probably others like it.

I am sure the National Trust would be pleased to take over the Cathedrals and Bishop's palaces and allow these poorly paid servants to live in a normal draft free house!

I also agree that there are big changes coming and see a split with the liberals going on their, err, merry way and the conservatives theirs. Bishop Tom Wright for AB!

Yeah! Agree 100%. Nice one RB

The C of E may own a lot of churches but they are cash strapped. They have inherited massive medieval buildings that cost a fortune to repair and maintain. They are mostly Grade I listed and cannot be converted or torn down--they also form part of our heritage and are a large tourist draw. Most C of E members give a pathetic amount compared with "Free Churches" which means most Anglican churches have to be centrally subsidized by the C of E establishment and they can only raise money by selling off properties or collecting rents.

Cash strapped?

http://www.ekklesia.co.uk/content/news_syn...022bryant.shtml

The real problem I see (and I am not a card carrying member at all, but I think the C of E has a legitimate place in the social terrain) is that this:

a) trashes the efforts of those who worked so hard to built this housing (Olivia Hill) as a response to social needs and a genuine Christian belief in ethical behaviour as a tenant of faith. In a sense the CofE is the trustee of her acts of faith which they are now selling for manon, and

B) divorces the church entirely from recognising that it has a social role and that its influence and respect in a secular world derives from its continued commitment to those in need. Unless it has decided that the poor shall no longer inherit the earth and in the world of quantum physics the philosopy of Jesus of Nazareth is outmoded since you can now slip a camel through the eye of a needle in a blink!

I'm a pagan, so why should I care? :lol::lol::lol:

The real problem I see (and I am not a card carrying member at all, but I think the C of E has a legitimate place in the social terrain) is that this:

a) trashes the efforts of those who worked so hard to built this housing (Olivia Hill) as a response to social needs and a genuine Christian belief in ethical behaviour as a tenant of faith. In a sense the CofE is the trustee of her acts of faith which they are now selling for manon, and

B) divorces the church entirely from recognising that it has a social role and that its influence and respect in a secular world derives from its continued commitment to those in need. Unless it has decided that the poor shall no longer inherit the earth and in the world of quantum physics the philosopy of Jesus of Nazareth is outmoded since you can now slip a camel through the eye of a needle in a blink!

I'm a pagan, so why should I care? :lol::lol::lol:

At least true pagans and true Christians have many of the same social causes in common: justice, fairness, sympathy for the poor and helpless, loving one's neighbour, giving to those in need, care for the environment/creation, not stealing . . . . The only difference being one worships creation and the other worships the Creator.

I'm an atheist and while I couldn't give a stuff about religion per se, this housing is sorely needed. But hey, privatising everything works for the government, so why not the church too?

For all practising christians, do you donate for the upkeep of the church or for the aid of the needy?

I'm an atheist and while I couldn't give a stuff about religion per se, this housing is sorely needed. But hey, privatising everything works for the government, so why not the church too?

For all practising christians, do you donate for the upkeep of the church or for the aid of the needy?

Not sure about all churches but many do give to the needy. The Christian faith directs its followers to look out for the needs of those around you--the Good Samaritan story etc. Remember, Jesus was also against religion and was killed by the religious leaders. He stood for love in action as opposed to empty ritual and self-serving practices or what many think of a "religion". Perhaps the most misunderstood revolutionary that has ever lived and who never owned his own house.

Why would an Atheist care about housing or the poor? Who says its right to care?

Why would an Atheist care about housing or the poor? Who says its right to care?

Being an atheist doesn't mean you lack compassion ;)

Surely one of the first places that a person will turn to in times of need is their church? I think the church (not c of e in particular) is letting their followers down. If you can't turn to the church, who's left? The government? Since when has the church been a profit making organisation? ( theoretically speaking, as it has been for the last 500 years)

As was said previously, if an organisation as big as this is worried, it doesn't bode well for the average Joe Bloggs BTL does it?

Surely one of the first places that a person will turn to in times of need is their church? I think the church (not c of e in particular) is letting their followers down. If you can't turn to the church, who's left? The government? Since when has the church been a profit making organisation? ( theoretically speaking, as it has been for the last 500 years)

The churches do a lot for local communities, btu often don't make a great deal of it. As the welfare state has grown and grown however, the role of the church in providing provision has been sidelined, and of course, people have no substantial funds to give to the church to spend - they have to give it to Gordon, as the state knows best about helping other people ;)

Much of the church's role in the inner city seems to revolve more around relational work, community projects, youth work, that sort of thing. Sadly the church is obliged to pay a pension to all of its workers, even its many rubbish ones.

Isn't the Vatican one of the biggest land owners in the world ..... and the Vatican Bank one of the largest capital holding institutions on the planet .....

Although I do believe in God, I reckon (all) Religion has been manipulated, polluted, diluted and corrupted ..... nowadays its no more than just a plain old business with the "devout" as its customers ..... :(

I wonder if HPC/Bird Flu/Iranian Conflict/Peak Oil/etc causes a recession so bad that "business" finally picks up for the Pope ......

I wonder if you can buy shares in the "Church" .....

How much longer before they jump on the current pensions bandwagon and scrap them................?

Perfectionist, if the Vatican starts to panic sell it's property then that really is the time to worry ;):D

How much longer before they jump on the current pensions bandwagon and scrap them................?

Perfectionist, if the Vatican starts to panic sell it's property then that really is the time to worry ;):D

I think the Vatican will be okay as they got their property when it was cheap--most of it about 1000 years ago!