House Price Crash Forum

16 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

I think Iran will cause a lot of trouble over this.

But ultimately Trump is actually a big wimp and won’t go for a full US invasion. The US military is not what it was in the last Gulf War.

Invade? Not a snowball's. The yanks will be scurrying like rats to get out of Iraq, Libya and Saudi.

1 hour ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

But ultimately Trump is actually a big wimp and won’t go for a full US invasion. The US military is not what it was in the last Gulf War.

Is that being a wimp? Why would you want to have boots on the ground, military occupation? 

It did not work in Afghanistan and Iraq, should it now work in Iran?

Currently I don't see this going anywhere yet. The attack on the US embassy was rightly reposted by Trump and Irans supreme leader saying America  "can't do a damn thing" was said just to aggravate the situation and now seems rather daft. I can't see the need for a war it will benefit no one and Trump seems more interested in bringing troops home and reducing overseas defence expenditure.

Hopefully higher oil prices will reduce demand and help with the climate crisis we have.

1 hour ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Invasion of Iran? out of the question, its 5 times as big as Iraq and look how well that went. Iranians are not stupid.

2 minutes ago, Freki said:

Is that being a wimp? Why would you want to have boots on the ground, military occupation? 

It did not work in Afghanistan and Iraq, should it now work in Iran?

Quite it seems a bit bash America amongst the left, invade they are warmongers not invading they are wimpish. probably targeted airstrikes and that's all and i doubt that will happen unless Russia says it can.

Either way the shining lights of liberal democracy and human rights lining up together (Russia China and Iran) we shouldn't be too concerned about not having aligned interests. They're all pretty dodgy places but not worth military conflict with (likewise Syria).

What will be Iran's response?

a) escalation, easily would lead to WWWII, with Iran/Russia/China on side and US/Europe on other, West probably losing if it does not end with a nuclear annihilation

b) measured to show that they responded, but not overreacting so they continue their plans to dominate the region

My guess is b but getting it right would be challenging, they have to hit a sweet spot, not too big not too small hit. Trump being unpredictable and in election mode makes this decision even more difficult.   

7 minutes ago, slawek said:

What will be Iran's response?

a) escalation, easily would lead to WWWII, with Iran/Russia/China on side and US/Europe on other, West probably losing if it does not end with a nuclear annihilation

b) measured to show that they responded, but not overreacting so they continue their plans to dominate the region

My guess is b but getting it right would be challenging, they have to hit a sweet spot, not too big not too small hit. Trump being unpredictable and in election mode makes this decision even more difficult.   

Saudi oil facilities. Knock those out and it's game over. Western capitalism dies on its ****.

30 minutes ago, Pebbles said:

Currently I don't see this going anywhere yet. The attack on the US embassy was rightly reposted by Trump and Irans supreme leader saying America  "can't do a damn thing" was said just to aggravate the situation and now seems rather daft. I can't see the need for a war it will benefit no one and Trump seems more interested in bringing troops home and reducing overseas defence expenditure.

Hopefully higher oil prices will reduce demand and help with the climate crisis we have.

"vI can't see the need for a war it will benefit no one"

Didn't many commentators say this just before WW1 kicked off? Easy for things to spiral out of control without any intent.

3 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

Saudi oil facilities. Knock those out and it's game over. Western capitalism dies on its ****.

I think this is a good one, Iran and Putin happy oil prices up, US ok as it has its own oil, China probably not ok but won't do much, Saudi unhappy but probably nobody will want to die over their economical interests, good for the West as they can sell them more arms.

1 minute ago, zugzwang said:

Looks like an extended stay for our spy in Iran, Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe.

Well don't go to these places. I have zero wish to go to China or any other despotic middle eastern country i dont trust them with my liberty either she is a spy in which case fair cop or she isn't and it was a bit daft to go there.

2 minutes ago, slawek said:

I think this is a good one, Iran and Putin happy oil prices up, US ok as it has its own oil, China probably not ok but won't do much, Saudi unhappy but probably nobody will want to die over their economical interests, good for the West as they can sell them more arms.

The roaring twenties? Not quite what the useful idiots in the billionaire press had in mind...

41 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Or is Raab merely channeling The Corbyn:

In a statement, Mr Corbyn said: "The US assassination of Iranian general Qasem Soleimani is an extremely serious and dangerous escalation of conflict in the Middle East with global significance.

"The UK Government should urge restraint on the part of both Iran and the US, and stand up to the belligerent actions and rhetoric coming from the United States.

"All countries in the region and beyond should seek to ratchet down the tensions to avoid deepening conflict, which can only bring further misery to the region, 17 years on from the disastrous invasion of Iraq."

34 minutes ago, slawek said:

And the UK can take a lead in oil free green transportation:

9BE6002B-150A-470E-8767-72A0FD8F5959.jpeg

1 hour ago, MancTom said:

"vI can't see the need for a war it will benefit no one"

Didn't many commentators say this just before WW1 kicked off? Easy for things to spiral out of control without any intent.

Maybe there's be plenty of intent of which we, the general public, are generally unaware?

The 3-part YouTube documentary by the Corbett Report reveals some interesting aspects of WW1.

Here is part 1:

Bush started Iraq mess in 2003 just year before second term election.

Trump following same pattern started this mess just before his election this November.

Murdoch media will start a official brainwashing program for people to accept all this as legitimate and for greater good.

Corporates greed started another war for oil.

We already have enough problems in this world, these boneheads started another mess.

Rinse and repeat.

Is that assassination well timed for US 2020 GE ?

If it escalates I would not be surprised if Trump polls shoot up thanks to the public rallying behind their great leader

USA kills it's enemies, surprise.  The Iranian General thought he could act with impunity, well he's dead now.