Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
Saving For a Space Ship

 How Amazon Gains Control & Domination

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

What's better is a shop in the village people can walk to.

You won't sell a future to me that consists of people hardly ever leaving their homes - like most supposedly "positive" visions of the future it sounds dystopian.

 

I could not agree more. 

On 12/28/2019 at 9:28 AM, winkie said:

Village has 100 homes......what is better 70 or 80 cars all going out to solely shop and for food, using expensive  fuel, possible parking rent fees, the time it takes, pollution it may create, each week......or a few deliveries by a few vans........free delivery on a couple of days a week at a certain times....... special specified date and time extra delivery to pay.

Personally I like to go to the ,local shops and support independent retailers.  It also gives me the opportunity to interact with a human being.  I now know a lot of the people who work in local shops and makes going shopping a far more pleasureable experience.  

One problem society has today is that with all the tech people have they have not learned to interact with and be able to relate to other people in face to face situation.  This is well documented as the cause of huge depression among many young people.  

On the other hand when I am older and not mobile I am sure I will like the idea of stuff being brought to my home.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Riedquat said:

What's better is a shop in the village people can walk to.

You won't sell a future to me that consists of people hardly ever leaving their homes - like most supposedly "positive" visions of the future it sounds dystopian.

.....the better idea is almost everything day to day needs down the road, a better choice and an easy, clean, cost effective way to get there and back within a few miles, an a airport not that far away that can give anyone full access to the world.......

3 hours ago, mallish said:

 

I could not agree more. 

Personally I like to go to the ,local shops and support independent retailers.  It also gives me the opportunity to interact with a human being.  I now know a lot of the people who work in local shops and makes going shopping a far more pleasureable experience.  

One problem society has today is that with all the tech people have they have not learned to interact with and be able to relate to other people in face to face situation.  This is well documented as the cause of huge depression among many young people.  

On the other hand when I am older and not mobile I am sure I will like the idea of stuff being brought to my home.  

Some of the best high streets we have are full of independent shops full of real people, real helpful knowledgeable shop assistants and real shoppers.....everything else can be delivered (and returned)...not into delivered ready food, there must be a good reason why people would pay big money to have ready cooked food delivered....how some people now live is not altogether healthy.....in more ways than one.;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazon have recently made it so that anyone can rate something without having bought the product.

https://www.marketplacepulse.com/articles/amazon-replaces-reviews-with-ratings

"Using the new system ratings can be left with or without a previous purchase..............this change makes it harder for anyone to examine them. For the past few years, Amazon has been dealing with the issue of fake reviews, and the new rating system is about to make it worse."

As if it wasn't bad enough already. Previously non-verified purchases where only allowed with reviews that had text, meaning you could see the reviewers profile, review history, and what they had written. For these new ratings there's no profile of the rate giver visible, just another star rating added. There is also no distinction shown of whether the rating is linked to a purchase of the product or not.

I was surprised to learn that this is how Google Play have been doing it for years already. I always assumed their ratings and those including text where only permitted by people who had bought the product. What made me assume this was that most of my ratings are 5 stars with some 4 stars and that if that was allowed then surely someone would have carpet bombed me with 1 stars using a Chinese water army from anywhere in the world and I'd therefore have lower ratings.

When I first put my stuff on Google Play some years ago I got 1 star reviews posted on different products all at the same time. At the time I actually thought it might be feedback and thought to myself in constructive critique "What could I have done better?" but now I realize whoever did it didn't even need to buy or have used it, just opens up how that could have been anyone and it might have just been a feuxing waste of time thinking that.

Final food for thought that is more relevant to this thread subject knowing the customer reviews are one of the main attractions of the said company:

It is against the interests of any online company to police its online customer reviews. This is because investment of time and money in doing so cuts into their margin and there is nothing that compels customers to buy from them.

In other words a company could spend 100s of thousands (on staff and algorithms etc.) to police customer reviews and minimize fraud / increase accuracy ----> A customer / customers finds very useful and rely on these reviews on deciding what to buy -----> Goes somewhere else to buy the same product at a lower price from a company that doesn't have the expense of policing their customer reviews (because they either don't have them or don't police them).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not difficult to level the playing field with high street and village shop somewhat.

Simply charge all retail a 5% witholding tax on all sales that is then given back as a credit to use for payment of business rates and corporation tax. If you don't use it [profits offshored] you lose it.

Maybe 5% is too much but set it at the right level and high st/village shops will pay nowt extra but kerching from the scrounging multinationals.

[Wont be a popular comment but true that] will only be possible once we've left the EU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Riedquat said:

Amazon is run by cats in order to keep up a supply of cardboard boxes.

I like that idea. My cat will sleep in a box for 3 or so days, then lose interest. If there's another box he will move into that one. I think it's a natural instinct to alter sleeping location every now and then so they can't be located by rivals / predators.

Part of the Amazon empire is Zappos who sell shoes, which is also run by cats...

8 hours ago, ebull said:

Not difficult to level the playing field with high street and village shop somewhat.

Simply charge all retail a 5% witholding tax on all sales that is then given back as a credit to use for payment of business rates and corporation tax. If you don't use it [profits offshored] you lose it.

Maybe 5% is too much but set it at the right level and high st/village shops will pay nowt extra but kerching from the scrounging multinationals.

[Wont be a popular comment but true that] will only be possible once we've left the EU.

Interesting idea. Parking and charges for parking are an issue too, which might be helped if local shops were able to issue (100% subsidized) refunds for customers who spend money.

Edited by Arpeggio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎26‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 08:55, Saving For a Space Ship said:

https://wolfstreet.com/2019/12/25/how-amazon-gains-control-domination/

and theres the sub layer of drivers reliant on amazon & the micro delivery co's, where the rug can be pulled at any time 

 

I need to stop using Amazon.

Last few deliveries from Amazon have been by someone in an unmarked, battered, crash damaged van or car that might not even be road legal.  Seems very at odds with the new shiny Amazon warehouses that have been thrown up everywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Andy T said:

I need to stop using Amazon.

Last few deliveries from Amazon have been by someone in an unmarked, battered, crash damaged van or car that might not even be road legal.  Seems very at odds with the new shiny Amazon warehouses that have been thrown up everywhere.

Yes, I had that too. Best one was a lass on her way to a night out. Miniskirt and heels etc. I thought - wrong door, darling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazon only has one product: Prime.

It’s like how Coca Cola measure market dominance in ‘throatshare’. Amazon know that when a household gets Prime it immediately switches their discretionary spending straight to Amazon pockets.

Everything else, the TV/films, groceries, devices etc it’s just there to support Prime sales.

Cancel Prime. Free yourself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/01/2020 at 01:08, Riedquat said:

Amazon is run by cats in order to keep up a supply of cardboard boxes.

 

It is the huge amount of plastic bubble wrap that needs to be curtailed...;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

Amazon only has one product: Prime.

It’s like how Coca Cola measure market dominance in ‘throatshare’. Amazon know that when a household gets Prime it immediately switches their discretionary spending straight to Amazon pockets.

Everything else, the TV/films, groceries, devices etc it’s just there to support Prime sales.

Cancel Prime. Free yourself. 

My brain initially read your post as : 

Amazon only has one product: Crime.

Even when you don't have Prime,  it's easy to accidentally sign up for a free trial of it when buying something, as they play with the layout/wording of the buttons/links to trick you.

Probably should be continually signing up for 30 day free trials of Prime then cancelling it just before it ends, should piss them off a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Andy T said:

My brain initially read your post as : 

Amazon only has one product: Crime.

Even when you don't have Prime,  it's easy to accidentally sign up for a free trial of it when buying something, as they play with the layout/wording of the buttons/links to trick you.

Probably should be continually signing up for 30 day free trials of Prime then cancelling it just before it ends, should piss them off a bit.

Yes Amazon are very into dark UX / dark patterns https://uxplanet.org/sinister-ux-how-to-recognize-and-avoid-dark-ux-patterns-95acdb15767f

As long as you’re in the Amazon eco system you’re playing the game as they want it. :) 

I hasten to add this isn’t a theory I’ve come up with, I attended a meeting with a high up in Amazon who explained their Prime strategy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • 312 Brexit, House prices and Summer 2020

    1. 1. Including the effects Brexit, where do you think average UK house prices will be relative to now in June 2020?


      • down 5% +
      • down 2.5%
      • Even
      • up 2.5%
      • up 5%



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.