House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
delite1

So How Does The Average Hpcer

With so many people having invested their lives into property we know there is a lot of cash sitting around in amongst the average HPCers bank accounts, be it STR funds or FTB deposits.

As I know nothing on the subject of oil except that it will probably cause the HPC by going up in price , are there any ways in which HPCers can take advantage of the situation?

With so many people having invested their lives into property we know there is a lot of cash sitting around in amongst the average HPCers bank accounts, be it STR funds or FTB deposits.

As I know nothing on the subject of oil except that it will probably cause the HPC by going up in price , are there any ways in which HPCers can take advantage of the situation?

Buy coal:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=23040

Maybe a house in Notts?

Buying shares in oil compaines is one option. Make sure it's a company which actually produces crude oil and not simply one which refines and/or markets petrol etc.

Or you could speculate on the oil price via spread betting. Be very careful not to over-leverage your position though or you'll lose the lot on a price dip.

And of course get a smaller car or use public transport, keep your heating oil tank topped up (if you have one) to beat any price surge etc.

Top for the mobile HPCer (easier for the single chap or chappess) is to rent something closer to work, to cut down on travel costs and time.

Good for environment, good for your pocket.

Hope you work near something interesting.

btp

At some stage increasing energy prices will (well should) filter right through the commodities market - farming, mineral extraction, energy itself all requires significant energy input in all sorts of forms to support productiona nd extraction.

One of the safefest/least hassle broad based ways of entering a position may be to look at general commodity funds. You won;t see them heavily advertised, though you may do in teh future.

Top for the mobile HPCer (easier for the single chap or chappess) is to rent something closer to work, to cut down on travel costs and time.

Yep, already done that. In the spring I'll start walking in and out of work, but I've no desire to walk down twisty country roads in the dark through the winter...

Sorely tempted to sell the car, but I need it for weekend trips and don't want the hassle of having to rent one.

I wanted to do just this so bought shares in Dana Petroleum (DNX). Check out this sector of the stock market, do some research on reserves and production. Apparently buying the majors (e.g. Shell, BP) doesn't give much exposure to oil price.