House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mikhail Liebenstein

Is it time to close Facebook?

F*** yes.  The people leading this company are just downright evil.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/12/peter-thiel-behind-facebooks-political-ad-policy

Even as he floats alternatives behind the scenes, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg has outwardly refused to budge on Facebook’s policy around fact checking political ads, even as some of his competitors make changes to theirs. According to a new report, Facebook’s leadership is deeply divided when it comes to its views on the policy. And one of the key proponents of keeping it in place is Peter Thiel.

Per the Wall Street Journal, Thiel, a conservative libertarian who supports Donald Trump, has been a driving force in maintaining Facebook’s laissez faire approach to political ads, serving as a counterbalance to others who want the social media giant to take a proactive role in weeding out false and misleading information on its platform—and, perhaps, its subsidiaries. While Zuckerberg has faced calls, including from Elizabeth Warren, to police the ads or ban them entirely, as Twitter did, Thiel has reportedly advised Zuck to stay the course, arguing that the company should continue to accept ads without fact checking them as it promised it would earlier this fall. The 52-year-old Facebook board member has also reportedly exerted influence on other political matters facing the platform. He has advised Zuckerberg on the internal dynamics of the Trump administration, and opposed convening an outside advisory board to analyze Facebook following the Cambridge Analytica scandal.

What hypocrisy, the Daily Heil upset that facebook is more powerful and more opaque for applying political bias than they are.

The daily mail is dead as a paper; its generation is getting older and claimed by the grim reaper.  No one under 35 reads it and it is trying to stay relevant through mailonline clickbait.

The next generation look at facebook as a relic already; it is dead and Zuckerberg is trying to stay relevant through Whatsapp and Instagram.

In both cases, as soon as legislation has caught up, the next media power player will be on the scence.

Time to fix the game, not the players.

7 hours ago, msi said:

What hypocrisy, the Daily Heil upset that facebook is more powerful and more opaque for applying political bias than they are.

The daily mail is dead as a paper; its generation is getting older and claimed by the grim reaper.  No one under 35 reads it and it is trying to stay relevant through mailonline clickbait.

The next generation look at facebook as a relic already; it is dead and Zuckerberg is trying to stay relevant through Whatsapp and Instagram.

In both cases, as soon as legislation has caught up, the next media power player will be on the scence.

Time to fix the game, not the players.

i went on there for the first time a few weeks ago and read the headlines. and the comments

it was then  i decided that i think i need to leave this country

1 hour ago, reddog said:

Does anyone else find, when they scroll through Facebook, they now see more advertisements than friends posts?

Yeah. It used to be somewhere you could find out what your friends and family were up to. It’s now somewhere where you can be spoon-fed advertising, sponsored propaganda and lies.

It’s just a monopoly acting like a monopoly. Doing what’s good for itself rather than it’s customers.

8 hours ago, msi said:

No one under 35 reads it

I like looking at the boobies

10 hours ago, Lurkerbelow said:

Zuckerberg has faced calls, including from Elizabeth Warren, to police the ads or ban them entirely

Lol. What a loser. Stick to faux Native cookbooks.

11 hours ago, reddog said:

Does anyone else find, when they scroll through Facebook, they now see more advertisements than friends posts?

There are two scenarios that could explain this occurrence.

11 hours ago, reddog said:

Its worse than that I logon to another machine search on google for something barring inmind i have never used the machine before 10 mins later there are adverts on my own machine.

Facebook must track searches via ip its phucking spyware.

I have setup a macro session on a spare machine now searching destroy Zuckerberg over and over on google 24/7 get the google hits up.

3 hours ago, longgone said:

Its worse than that I logon to another machine search on google for something barring inmind i have never used the machine before 10 mins later there are adverts on my own machine.

I have setup a macro session on a spare machine now searching destroy Zuckerberg over and over on google 24/7 get the google hits up.

Yes, Google and the social networks (Twitter, FB) have trackers spread all over the internet - it's pretty shocking when you first find that they are tracking you almost everywhere you go even when you are not using their sites/ services.  Install decent ad-blocker and tracker blocker extensions (uBlock Origin and Blur are good) and it will stop a lot of that from happening.

Also, use Firefox and the containers extension to categorise your browsing into 'silos' so that cookies from the likes of Google and Facebook when you visit their sites don't 'leak' into your general web browsing.

And of course, when doing internet searches use sites like DuckDuckGo and Startpage to anonymise your searches.

13 hours ago, Bear Goggles said:

Yeah. It used to be somewhere you could find out what your friends and family were up to. It’s now somewhere where you can be spoon-fed advertising, sponsored propaganda and lies.

It’s just a monopoly acting like a monopoly. Doing what’s good for itself rather than it’s customers.

I was going to say wow, has it it got that bad?  I closed my Fakebook account 2 years ago.

3 hours ago, longgone said:

VPN

Flush Cookies.

Use Quad 9s DNS  https://www.quad9.net/

14 hours ago, Bear Goggles said:

Monopoly capitalism is the Silicon Valley m.o.

The half-educated twits spend hours bloviating about competition, adaptivity, evolution etc. when in reality what they're most interested in is trying to find ways to corner the market and stiff their customers. As abusive and dishonest as the Rockefellers and Vanderbilts of yesteryear.

8 hours ago, zugzwang said:

The half-educated twits spend hours bloviating about competition, adaptivity, evolution etc. when in reality what they're most interested in is trying to find ways to corner the market and stiff their customers. As abusive and dishonest as the Rockefellers and Vanderbilts of yesteryear.

I totally agree - but also find it ironic that there will be people on here who complain about FB but are quite happy to have its shares in their portfolio 

Hence your point well made - they are a business did anyone expect anything else - the normal cycle is eventually and far too late they get regulated 

On 19/12/2019 at 23:19, dances with sheeple said:

As a Trump supporter said on Sky the other night - "They can`t beat him, so they have to impeach him, and when they can`t impeach him they will blame Facebook!" (I added the last bit.)

Trump will not be removed from the White House by the Impeachment Circus, it will go nowhere in the end.  Trump will get back in at the next election. This whole show is a distraction and to con voters and Trump supporters in believing Trump is the anti-establishment President when he is nothing of the sort.

14 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

I was going to say wow, has it it got that bad?  I closed my Fakebook account 2 years ago.

Yeah, it’s sh*t. I stick with it to keep in touch with family in far flung places, but I don’t check it very often. Once a week max. I’d say 80% of my feed is crap I don’t want to see. I’d happily pay a few quid a month to have a social network that didn’t try to sell me crap or show me propaganda videos, but unfortunately that’s not an option in a monopolised market with no competition, pushing lies and hate is obviously way more profitable. 

13 hours ago, zugzwang said:

If you read Peter Thiel’s Zero to One, you get a great articulation of this thinking in his writing on “creative monopoly”. It was written a few years ago and really hasn’t aged well. He says that only monopolies like Google can have the motto “don’t be evil” because they don’t need to worry about trying to kill competitors so they can focus instead on high-minded principles. Competition can still thrive in new domains where creative monopolies have not yet taken hold. It’s unadulterated BS, but it’s a great insight into the mental gymnastics monopolists undertake to convince themselves that they are still pro-capitalism. 

Monopoly is of course just another form of anti-capitalism, and America has got a proud tradition of monopoly-busting, I do hope the rediscover that tradition for the digital age. 

17 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

VPN

Flush Cookies.

Use Quad 9s DNS  https://www.quad9.net/

Ultimately there is no security you are handing your internet history from your ISP to a unknown vpn provider.  No where is safe.  Open cloud wifi using a device with a rolling mac address is probably the safest to hide your searching history as long as you never log into email or divulge personal details and have no logged in accounts sending packets in the background.

3 hours ago, Bear Goggles said:

If you read Peter Thiel’s Zero to One, you get a great articulation of this thinking in his writing on “creative monopoly”. It was written a few years ago and really hasn’t aged well. He says that only monopolies like Google can have the motto “don’t be evil” because they don’t need to worry about trying to kill competitors so they can focus instead on high-minded principles. Competition can still thrive in new domains where creative monopolies have not yet taken hold. It’s unadulterated BS, but it’s a great insight into the mental gymnastics monopolists undertake to convince themselves that they are still pro-capitalism. 

Monopoly is of course just another form of anti-capitalism, and America has got a proud tradition of monopoly-busting, I do hope the rediscover that tradition for the digital age. 

I haven't read it but I know all about Thiel. Revolting piece of work.

Nothing will change while Trump's on the throne.

6 hours ago, longgone said:

Ultimately there is no security you are handing your internet history from your ISP to a unknown vpn provider.  No where is safe.  Open cloud wifi using a device with a rolling mac address is probably the safest to hide your searching history as long as you never log into email or divulge personal details and have no logged in accounts sending packets in the background.

Containers have virtues in some cases:

https://linoxide.com/how-tos/20-docker-containers-desktop-user/

On 20/12/2019 at 19:10, longgone said:

A big range of tested proxies you can rotate is also a good idea 🙂

Need death monitoring though.