House Price Crash Forum
Mikhail Liebenstein

Before Polls Close - what election prediction would you make?

My guesses as follows:

1) Tories short of a majority at 308 seats. 

2) Lib Dems on 32, picking up seats like Guildford in Surrey, but no massive progress. 

3) Labour vote holding better than expected in the North, but less so in the Midlands. 247 MPs, so losses and gains. 

Conservative marginal majority. 5 to 10 seats. Just enough to push through brexit but on a tight leash after that.

1 hour ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

Earlier in the evening odds seemed to be shifting towards noc and away from Tory majority.

Now they are moving back.

My guess is Tory majority, 10-20 seats.

I did think the only indicative parameter at this stage was turnout. Looks like it is high, which will favour Labour a little.

30 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

I did think the only indicative parameter at this stage was turnout. Looks like it is high, which will favour Labour a little.

When I voted I was the only one there, Im sceptical of media reports of it being busy

14 minutes ago, Habeas Domus said:

When I voted I was the only one there, Im sceptical of media reports of it being busy

It wasn't when I voted, in Hove. I can see the entrance from my window and it didn't look especially busy when I looked in the morning and evening.

Obviously a bit late now but the turn out was 66%, lower than last time.

The talk of high turn out was based on pictures and social media posts in a few areas of London, just goes to show how interested London is with the rest of the country.

On 12/12/2019 at 22:33, Fishfinger said:

My money is on the goverment winning - they always do no matter who you vote for 😉

Apparently exit polls on TeeVee say 85 seat majority to Boris.

It was interesting how many in the North actually did vote Conservative. 

With the majority as big as it is, it now wouldn't surprise me if Boris goes all out soft Brexit. 

On 13/12/2019 at 05:56, reddog said:

Obviously a bit late now but the turn out was 66%, lower than last time.

The talk of high turn out was based on pictures and social media posts in a few areas of London, just goes to show how interested London is with the rest of the country.

I'm never good to judge. Turnout in my area was average high 70s and some polling station in the mid 80s.

42 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

It was interesting how many in the North actually did vote Conservative. 

With the majority as big as it is, it now wouldn't surprise me if Boris goes all out soft Brexit. 

There was never any danger of a Hard Brexit. The City needs passporting rights too much.

Labour votes were transferred to the Brexit Party and the Lib Dems, not the Conservatives. Jezza actually got a bigger share of the vote than Miliband in 2015, or Gordo in 2010.