House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
PeanutButter

The future of employment

14 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

https://www.theengineer.co.uk/strawberry-picking-robot-wimbledon/

Those migrant workers will need to be cheaper than this. 

The UK is vastly behind quite a number of other countries when it comes to the deployment of robots. I wonder what the impact on employment would be if we were to use the same number as say Germany:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2018/04/25/the-countries-with-the-highest-density-of-robot-workers-infographic/

Germany has four times the density than the UK. Now the UK has far more service component in the economy whereas Germany has more manufacturing, far more amenable to robotics. Nevertheless the impact would likely be considerable.

Oh good another scare mongering guardian link. I swear you're on the graun payroll.

From 'botics to Brexit in two posts. I'm not worried about robotics taking my job, now that people have realised cheap electricians are cheap for a reason, I've never been busier this close to Christmas. 

A remain voting city worker though? Yeah, no way that pointless paper shuffling can be automated.:rolleyes:

Edited by chronyx

Still trying to figure out what the point of all this automation is. Doesn't seem to be doing much to make the world a better place to live in, more the opposite. Alas people are attracted to it like (allegorical? is that the right word?) magpies to shiny things.

31 minutes ago, chronyx said:

Oh good another scare mongering guardian link. I swear you're on the graun payroll.

From 'botics to Brexit in two posts. I'm not worried about robotics taking my job, now that people have realised cheap electricians are cheap for a reason, I've never been busier this close to Christmas. 

A remain voting city worker though? Yeah, no way that pointless paper shuffling can be automated.:rolleyes:

MODS I appear to have a troll? He seems obsessed with me :D 

Now I’ve been here a long time and happy to mute the little chap but it does seem rather silly to allow a house price discussion space on the internet descend into 8chan.

16 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Still trying to figure out what the point of all this automation is. Doesn't seem to be doing much to make the world a better place to live in, more the opposite. Alas people are attracted to it like (allegorical? is that the right word?) magpies to shiny things.

It makes more money for billionaires, I’d imagine.

I take it you eschewed Black Friday ;) 

Automation? it is what humanity has been aiming for since the beginning of times. Get your **** down in a comfy chair and do nothing!

We all work to not work. 

8 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

It makes more money for billionaires, I’d imagine.

I take it you eschewed Black Friday ;) 

Yes! Can't think of anything I'm particularly eager to buy and I'm not in to buying stuff for the sake of it.

6 minutes ago, Freki said:

Automation? it is what humanity has been aiming for since the beginning of times. Get your **** down in a comfy chair and do nothing!

We all work to not work. 

Going back to the beginning of time that makes sense. It was bloody hard work doing enough just to stay alive, having a built-in mechanism to stay put unless we really needed to was probably necessary to stop ourselves from wasting limited energy.

14 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

Well done! 

Come to think on it I did spend money on several pints at the pub, does that count? That's most Fridays though.

46 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

If you look at those countries with the highest concentration of robots you also have a list of countries with major demographic issues. Are the two connected? Probably would be my answer.

8 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Come to think on it I did spend money on several pints at the pub, does that count? That's most Fridays though.

As long as they weren’t BOGOFF :D 

Someone was telling me one of our locals charges £6.40 a pint for the local micro brewery stuff. Ridiculous. 

2 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

As long as they weren’t BOGOFF :D 

Someone was telling me one of our locals charges £6.40 a pint for the local micro brewery stuff. Ridiculous. 

Ouch.

The most expensive pints (on the ale front anyway) at my local are the regular ones from the larger breweries, Landlord is over £4, and Black Sheep jumped a lot last year to not far off £4. The smaller breweries that are usually on the other 3 or 4 pumps (depends on the time of year) are generally quite a bit cheaper, unless they've got an particularly strong one on.

We've had increasing automation since the beginning of the industrial revolution....and we are still working full time.  Why is that...?  Perhaps it is because one of the fundamentals for survival is kept in deliberate scarcity (guess what) forcing everyone to compete..?

28 minutes ago, Wayward said:

We've had increasing automation since the beginning of the industrial revolution....and we are still working full time.  Why is that...?  Perhaps it is because one of the fundamentals for survival is kept in deliberate scarcity (guess what) forcing everyone to compete..?

Before the industrial revolution we struggled to produce enough for everyone to get by, let alone live in comfort, although you can always argue about just how much of the issue was social rather than technological. But we've probably had the ability to live with a decent enough standard of living for most since the 60s (might've been a bit earlier but the after-effects of WWII get in the way there), but the driver from having evolved with scarcity means we'll never be satisfied so will always be driven to seek more. So you either get further automation overall increasing production (pointless waste of resources), and / or it diverting resources ever more towards the fewer (if you've got machines doing everything you don't need to share what you control with people you previously needed to at least keep well enough alive to do the work for you).

5 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

https://www.theengineer.co.uk/strawberry-picking-robot-wimbledon/

Those migrant workers will need to be cheaper than this. 

Doesn't look very fast, although obviously it can run all day and all night without complaint.  It also seems to be able to target the ripe fruit, where as pickers on peace rates are incentivised to grapb anything that is barely passable as ripe.

Cheap wages have actually stopped solutions like this coming along quicker.

Edited by reddog

24 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Ouch.

The most expensive pints (on the ale front anyway) at my local are the regular ones from the larger breweries, Landlord is over £4, and Black Sheep jumped a lot last year to not far off £4. The smaller breweries that are usually on the other 3 or 4 pumps (depends on the time of year) are generally quite a bit cheaper, unless they've got an particularly strong one on.

This is why Spoons does so well. 

3 hours ago, chronyx said:

Nor should you be. But robots won't take classic blue collar skilled jobs far too complex. One day house production techniques will change and that will have an impact. Not in your life time with the current very traditional view of house construction imho.

However as you say middle manager job in a Leadenhall St Insurance co.......

46 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

This is why Spoons does so well. 

Never mind the quality fee the width - no one ever went bust under estimating the public's sense of style or taste.

I would rather pay for 2 Peroni's at £10.00 a pint looking out over the Thames from the Royal Festival Hall bar

The elephant in the room is Spoons are for people who like to get P**** cheaply - Airport Breakfast very good value though if you can ignore the Brits loading up at 6 am.

Edited by GregBowman

1 hour ago, GregBowman said:

However as you say middle manager job in a Leadenhall St Insurance co......

Maybe they could learn to code

Oh no wait, all the ex-journos got there first! :lol:

1 hour ago, Riedquat said:

If you're after cheap booze just get it from the supermarkets.

I haven’t drunk this year. But I will this month. Probs just some champers, and port. I’m well festive, me.

6 hours ago, Riedquat said:

Still trying to figure out what the point of all this automation is.

The point is that I can sit around playing computer games while my robots do all the work I need done. Like running the greenhouses and picking the strawberries.

Employment is going away, and it's never coming back. Because who'll want to work for someone else when they can have dozens of robots working for them?