House Price Crash Forum

Good areas to buy in Belfast/Newtownabbey

Hello,
I hope this is an appropriate place to ask/post this question.

We are currently selling our house and looking at areas in Belfast/Newtownabbey to buy our next home. We are a mixed religion family (although neither practising nor religious!) and want to avoid 'flagged' areas completely. We, unfortunately, bought our first home in what became a 'flagged' area a year or so after moving in and have experienced a whole host of anti-social behaviour since so want to move to a quiet area where we can raise our children and where we feel safe.

We have looked at a number of properties in the Four Winds area so far and the area seemed good. We had seen a lovely house in a quiet cul-de-sac development in Mossley but when checking out the immediate area surrounding it was all flagged estates.

My husband works between Belfast and London and I work in the Whiteabbey/Jordanstown area and both rely on public transport. Can anyone suggest any good areas? We have a top budget of £250k.

Thanks!

I could write plenty about the Whiteabbey/Jordanstown area as it is where I have been living for the last 10 plus years. The wife and I (plus our two kids) moved last year and decided to stay locally as the train for work into Belfast suits us down to the ground. We lived in a more 'one-sided' part of Whiteabbey until last year. Ironically, it was my wife who bought the house (before I met her ) and she is from the 'other side' so to speak. She never had any kind of bother either on her own or when we both lived there. 

We now live on the lough shore side of the railway. For £250K you will be able to find something suitable and you will get a lot more value for money than most of Belfast. I lived in Fourwinds (plus quite a few other bits of Belfast) and getting in and out of the city during rush hour is a complete pain. It is far quicker by train from Whiteabbey, particularly in the evening.

I have bored Joe half to death about all this, but look round Whiteabbey village, Jordanstown (again lough shore side of the railway) and there are a couple of very nice roads such as Dillon's Avenue nearer Whiteabbey end of things.

If you have any houses and/or spots in mind I am more than happy to give you an honest assessment. 

Edited by The_Equalizer
20 hours ago, The_Equalizer said:

I have bored Joe half to death about all this, but look round Whiteabbey village, Jordanstown (again lough shore side of the railway) and there are a couple of very nice roads such as Dillon's Avenue nearer Whiteabbey end of things.

Not boring in the slightest! :)

Yes I think as you've said, the traffic in Belfast is awful and getting worse with each year, so if you can use the train as your commute I think it's a better choice, and it'll get you more house for the money.

Speaking of Belfast and it's ridiculousness, this made me laugh....almost 2K a year rates bill, and it'll cost you the best part of a quarter of a mill by the time you've done it up....and it's only really got 2 proper bedrooms:

https://www.propertypal.com/15-cairnburn-park-belfast/542433

Four Winds is a very safe, neutral area. Very happy up here but only downside is relative lack of amenities for kids but then you're a close drive to virtually everywhere. 

Just be warned, there are plans for significant further development so it may get significantly more built up in next 5-10 years