House Price Crash Forum
wish I could afford one

Heads should be hung in shame

Rant on.

An enjoyable life does not have to be complicated nor should it be expensive.  To help steer me for some time now I've used Maslow's Hierachy of Needs as a guide:

ngcb1

Before we can truly move up the pyramid we need to secure warmth, rest, security and safety.  Those that have been complicit (yes I'm looking at you BoE and Government plus BTL landlords who made hay while the sun shone) in making this more and more difficult should hang their heads in shame.

We now have this type of rot going on https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50306994 .  So intimate relationships now have to be sacrificed to enable somebody to buy a sh*t terrace which they'll be paying off for the rest of their lives.  Wonder if they'll ever be able to have kids as I'm sure 2 salaries will be used to 'afford' the mortgage...

This country is so very broken and I look forward to again leaving it in the not too distant future.

Rant over.

14 minutes ago, wish I could afford one said:

Rant on.

An enjoyable life does not have to be complicated nor should it be expensive.  To help steer me for some time now I've used Maslow's Hierachy of Needs as a guide:

ngcb1

Before we can truly move up the pyramid we need to secure warmth, rest, security and safety.  Those that have been complicit (yes I'm looking at you BoE and Government plus BTL landlords who made hay while the sun shone) in making this more and more difficult should hang their heads in shame.

We now have this type of rot going on https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50306994 .  So intimate relationships now have to be sacrificed to enable somebody to buy a sh*t terrace which they'll be paying off for the rest of their lives.  Wonder if they'll ever be able to have kids as I'm sure 2 salaries will be used to 'afford' the mortgage...

This country is so very broken and I look forward to again leaving it in the not too distant future.

Rant over.

The couple want a cheap house within easy commutable distance of central London. Don't we all.

He lives with his parents in one of the most expensive and desirable places just outside London. Perhaps his parents could help him out.

It is just supply and demand. He is from an immigrant background. Houses are a lot lot cheaper in Armenia.

22 minutes ago, wish I could afford one said:

Rant on.

ngcb1

Rant over.

You know we agree on a lot but it’s not broken for tens of millions of people and their families - it’s broken for some 

My daughter and all her peers are doing ok, my mum lives in a nice retirement flat and has her family near by

I can commute to London with all the opportunities it has for £7.80 off peak from the edges of London 

My mum is getting great service from the NHS

Today on Deal pier without an announcement in the now trendy cafe, everyone respected the 11.00 silence all ages all races - I was proud 

Best of luck in your next adventure but we aren’t broken 

You have to look at other countries, do they have the mental health issues, the pressures of getting the best jobs, the low self-esteem issues, the high expectations, house, partner, children forever trying to impress whilst not coping etc.... what about community support and cohesion, where the village look after or out for each other and each others kids....where we here are more solo and secular....going it alone or trying to make it alone..... anyone alone will find life very hard, a sick and unfulfilling life....we all need each other to push each other up.😉

6 minutes ago, onlooker said:

The couple want a cheap house within easy commutable distance of central London. Don't we all.

He lives with his parents in one of the most expensive and desirable places just outside London. Perhaps his parents could help him out.

It is just supply and demand. He is from an immigrant background. Houses are a lot lot cheaper in Armenia.

Do you work for the government or the BoE?

Median earnings in London are currently £38,298.  Measured against that are you telling me that £250k is cheap?

What about all those people out there who don't have rich parents to help?  Should they just rot in squalor...

It's not supply and demand.  It's an affordability problem.  If you provide 'help' props and drop interest rates to the floor prices increase as people will always borrow the maximum.

If indeed he is an immigrant (you've jumped to a conclusion) what has that got to do with it?  It looks to me that both of them are working, paying their taxes and trying to get on in life.  That's good enough for me.

IMHO you might just be part of what is wrong with this country these days...

I was wondering what happened to that scheme to build 200,000 starter homes for first time buyers under 40 - with a 20% discount funded by allowing developers an exemption from paying community infrastructure levies/s106 payments to councils (which of course fund the infrastructure needed arising from new developments such as school places, buses and roads).

Seems not a single house has been built under this flagship scheme in the 2015 Tory manifesto.

Beware politicians promising to sort out the housing crisis using stupid gimmicks?!

Edited by MARTINX9

13 minutes ago, GregBowman said:

You know we agree on a lot but it’s not broken for tens of millions of people and their families - it’s broken for some 

My daughter and all her peers are doing ok, my mum lives in a nice retirement flat and has her family near by

I can commute to London with all the opportunities it has for £7.80 off peak from the edges of London 

Today on Deal pier without an announcement in the now trendy cafe, everyone respected the 11.00 silence all ages all races - I was proud 

You might be right.  The question is would 20 years ago that couple - 2 incomes - have been able to pull a deposit together for a home say 1 hour commute for London in quick time.  I'd suggest yes.

Great that somebody is getting a good NHS service.  I haven't needed to see a GP for years but recently did need a visit.  Waiting time = 4 weeks.  I could have been dead if it was serious.

14 minutes ago, winkie said:

You have to look at other countries, do they have the mental health issues, the pressures of getting the best jobs, the low self-esteem issues, the high expectations, house, partner, children forever trying to impress whilst not coping etc.... what about community support and cohesion, where the village look after or out for each other and each others kids....where we here are more solo and secular....going it alone or trying to make it alone..... anyone alone will find life very hard, a sick and unfulfilling life....we all need each other to push each other up.😉

The mental health issue is concerning.  I now know both IRL and on some other forums I frequent of people with fairly serious mental health issues.  What I don't know is if the percentage affected is increasing, I'm just getting to an age where those around me are more likely to be affected or whether it's just becoming more ok to talk about it.  I hope it's the last two and not the first.

The going it alone point is also interesting.  In Cyprus the spirit of family and community for the locals was far stronger than what I experience in the UK.  As an immigrant it would however have taken a long time to integrate into the Cypriot community but I have no doubt it would have been possible with time and language improvement.

8 minutes ago, MARTINX9 said:

I was wondering what happened to that scheme to build 200,000 starter homes for first time buyers under 40 - with a 20% discount funded by allowing developers an exemption from paying community infrastructure levies/s106 payments to councils (which of course fund the infrastructure needed arising from new developments such as school places, buses and roads).

Seems not a single house has been built under this flagship scheme in the 2015 Tory manifesto.

Beware politicians promising to sort out the housing crisis using stupid gimmicks?!

Gradually remove all government props, gradually reintroduce sensible lending multiples, residential mortgages to be repayment mortgages so that in 25/30 years you actually own rather than having been a renter, limit the number of residential homes somebody can own and require somebody to be a UK citizen/permanent resident before they can buy.  I'd predict that would help with the so called housing crisis.

16 minutes ago, wish I could afford one said:

You might be right.  The question is would 20 years ago that couple - 2 incomes - have been able to pull a deposit together for a home say 1 hour commute for London in quick time.  I'd suggest yes.

Great that somebody is getting a good NHS service.  I haven't needed to see a GP for years but recently did need a visit.  Waiting time = 4 weeks.  I could have been dead if it was serious.

It’s my experience and I am sure there are others 

1 minute ago, GregBowman said:

It’s my experience and I am sure there are others 

All we have on here is data and our experiences.  I also know I and a few of my friends are more than ok.  I also know the news is about shocking or nobody would be interested.  I guess I'm just very sensitive today.  Maybe it's just the onset of winter...

35 minutes ago, MARTINX9 said:

Is anyone surprised in that.....no party wants to commit themselves, so they talk the talk and walk the walk....words are cheap and unhelpful when no action whatsoever is forthcoming.....they say it for effect.😉

30 minutes ago, wish I could afford one said:

The mental health issue is concerning.  I now know both IRL and on some other forums I frequent of people with fairly serious mental health issues.  What I don't know is if the percentage affected is increasing, I'm just getting to an age where those around me are more likely to be affected or whether it's just becoming more ok to talk about it.  I hope it's the last two and not the first.

The going it alone point is also interesting.  In Cyprus the spirit of family and community for the locals was far stronger than what I experience in the UK.  As an immigrant it would however have taken a long time to integrate into the Cypriot community but I have no doubt it would have been possible with time and language improvement.

On the continent they do deal with things differently, they organise many community activities, they invest their young people, there seems to be a better support network.....not saying it doesn't happen here, just if you were born in the wrong place to the wrong family there are many holes in the net you could fall through....nobody there to catch you.😉

1 hour ago, wish I could afford one said:

To go where?  What is that country doing that this country should be doing?

You mention the stronger "spirit of family and community" in Cyprus, but in my experience the "spirit of family and community" can be a double-edged sword: it can provide a support network, but it can also be a stifling pressure to conform to the family and community norms.

It seems to me that both geographically and historically some of the strongest societies are those where there is a close bond of behaviour in families and communities (one reason I think why religion continues to provide such strong communities: fear of God, even if God doesn't exist, still produces a strong society).  However, those societies are also the ones in which society pressure can steamroller the individual.

Over the last 50-60 years we have seen the pendulum switch towards the individual quite dramatically - it should be everyone's choice (we say) to choose everything from which country within the EU they choose to live in, to which gender they identify as.  Every individual has "rights".  What happened to obligations or duties?!  

But it's the flip side of the coin that in the 1950s saw women unable to work, LGBT people unable to live as their true selves, and men forced to show a "stiff upper lip" and hide any mental problems.

I don't have the answers - if anything I feel that perfection can't be achieved and that we can only solve some problems at the expense of exacerbating others.  I see the end state as most likely countries in the world each representing a different place on a spectrum, will places such as Iran (God/society is paramount) and one end and places like the UK (Individual rights are paramount) at the other, with people choosing their home of best fit on the spectrum.

1 hour ago, onlooker said:

A lot of truth in your post.

2 hours ago, GregBowman said:

OK Boomer

1 hour ago, scottbeard said:

places like the UK (Individual rights are paramount)

What individual rights do you feel we have here?  Genuine question.  As someone who doesn't want to identify as a pansexual tree person, I struggle to see what freedoms you see in a country where you need a licence to watch TV.

1 minute ago, Arpeggio said:

No

Ditto...but it does depend on where you used to live and your age, some old time Londoners would never live anywhere else......London is far from the best place to live in the UK, but some couldn't or wouldn't live anywhere else, they might feel uneasy and vaunerable living elsewhere.....London is a very anonymous place, lots of different people can easily mix and blend in......not a bad thing,  London is the ideal place to learn from each other, nobody judges you, very accepting and tolerant in differences....an edgy place.😉

22 minutes ago, Arpeggio said:

No

'Don't we all' was a figure of speech. Of course, we don't all want to live in or near London, but we all want the unattainable - a cheap house in a desirable location.

20 minutes ago, chronyx said:

I struggle to see what freedoms you see in a country where you need a licence to watch TV.

This Country is a bloody abortion, where we kid ourselves the NHS is a great thing, and so is having an awful infrastructure, and a PM that “is a nasty piece of work”.It is a result of our race to the bottom.  The price of a low taxation society will be acknowledged when it is too late - just like the screwing over of the environment.

2 hours ago, winkie said:

On the continent they do deal with things differently, they organise many community activities, they invest their young people, there seems to be a better support network.....not saying it doesn't happen here, just if you were born in the wrong place to the wrong family there are many holes in the net you could fall through....nobody there to catch you.😉

Those communities exist in their hundreds of thousands in the U.K. tend to have A recent immigrant ( 2 or 3 gen) basis but a bit like money, access to the professions a lottery whether your born into or not 

I suspect not being increasingly an impact on your life chances 

32 minutes ago, onlooker said:

'Don't we all' was a figure of speech. Of course, we don't all want to live in or near London, but we all want the unattainable - a cheap house in a desirable location.

Why should a cheap house in a desirable location be unattainable exactly? People would have said the same thing about food once upon a time, oh of course there will always be people going hungry, too many babies and only so much farmland, now that problem is close to solved in the developed world thanks to technological progress in food production.

We even know the solution. Land value tax to encourage denser development in city and town centres and to release funding for transport infrastructure. Build it, and keep building it until the problem is solved. Don't just throw your hands up and say 'ah but this one is unsolvable, tough luck peasants, knuckle down to your crummy life'.

Edited by Dorkins