House Price Crash Forum
hurlerontheditch

Houses for sale but not really for sale

Had a look online yesterday at places for sale but not actually for sale. What I mean is, properties put on but owners not really wanting to sell, unless the ridiculous price being achieved. with the number of listings down and with these actually included in these numbers, the market is well and truly fked

some examples:

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/43503461?search_identifier=d50079c43e775b4c4457a3cd0efe7f39

2.5 years on the market

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/44790071?search_identifier=d50079c43e775b4c4457a3cd0efe7f39

2 years on the market

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/42650739?search_identifier=d50079c43e775b4c4457a3cd0efe7f39

nearly 3 years on the market

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/45765417?search_identifier=52e181bb9c73fbdb47c414f3e9bb6678

4 years!! its been on that long that they actually put the price up in the beginning

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/39322088?search_identifier=52e181bb9c73fbdb47c414f3e9bb6678

5 years!! recently reduced!

surely if they wanted to sell they would follow the price till they got a bite

I appreciated some are just  doing it for ego trips, i.e. our place is worth over xx however some reducing and been on the market 5 years, they must want to sell but can't accept that they need to go lower

Have been burnt 3 times now offering 90% of asking to be asked if I am 'really serious' about buying from snotty EA, before seller withdraws from the market.

The last one has left the house empty and unheated....over winter! This is not the first time I heard of this but is the first time I've actually seen it

Beggers belief.

Edited by msi
spelling

3 minutes ago, msi said:

Have been burnt 3 times now ofdering 90% of asking to be asked if I am 'really serious' about buying from snotty EA, before seller withdraws from the market.

The last one has left the house empty and unheated....over winter! This is not the first time I heard if this but is the first time I've actually seen it

Beggers belief.

happened to me two years ago. the manager of the agent rang me and ranted at me... was taken off the market shortly after

15 minutes ago, msi said:

Have been burnt 3 times now offering 90% of asking to be asked if I am 'really serious' about buying from snotty EA, before seller withdraws from the market.

The last one has left the house empty and unheated....over winter! This is not the first time I heard of this but is the first time I've actually seen it

Beggers belief.

That's because house price gains are a religion.

56 minutes ago, Si1 said:

That's because house price gains are a religion.

During the 1990s house price downturn I had to make an offer on a flat for a bloke buying several flats and houses.

There were three one beds in the same block, about 40k, nothing to choose between them. So we decided to say we'll pay £37k to whoever accepts first.

The agent asked if it was a serious offer, I said of course. He then said we were "bottom fishing". I asked him what was wrong with that and he wouldn't say.

So I told him money talks and he had an obligation to pass on all offers. 2 days later we got a seller.

i guess if you leave it on the market for long enough then inflation will effectively cut its real value each year. 
Any house at any price will sell if its left long enough, be it 3 years or 20 years or 100 years, the pound is trending to zero value.

18 minutes ago, hurlerontheditch said:

some look owner occupied or probate

Probate is often the worse. You have 2-5 children all after the money and a couple of them being very unrealistic as to what the property is really worth.

5 hours ago, hurlerontheditch said:

happened to me two years ago. the manager of the agent rang me and ranted at me... was taken off the market shortly after

Did you ask said manager the pertinent question:

"Why would you *not* encourage the seller to accept an offer from a serious buyer who will exchange and complete promptly? ... After all don't you only get paid if a sale is agreed and completed?"

What did he say in the rant anyway? ... "How dare you not accept my opinion of what you should pay?" ???

28 minutes ago, ebull said:

Did you ask said manager the pertinent question:

"Why would you *not* encourage the seller to accept an offer from a serious buyer who will exchange and complete promptly? ... After all don't you only get paid if a sale is agreed and completed?"

What did he say in the rant anyway? ... "How dare you not accept my opinion of what you should pay?" ???

he said where on earth did i get such a price . i was not serious and a timewaster etc..

i offered 3% less than what they paid for it 18 months earlier. they bought it in March 2016,  so with post brexit and market showing signs of falling in london i thought it a fair offer. they had wanted 15% more than what they paid. then they reduced it to 10% more than they paid for. they were in need to sell as were relocating (allegedly) and i was chain free as had sold.

agent said "look, i will send you some properties more in your price range". so he mailed me some one bed flats way less than what i offered (the property was a 4 bed house). then he sent me random articles from the internet on how "prices on the up" etc. 

i said, its a fair offer, and at the end of the day its my money and what i am willing to risk

was taken off the market 3 months later then sold privately for 2% more than i offered a few months later

12 minutes ago, hurlerontheditch said:

he said where on earth did i get such a price . i was not serious and a timewaster etc..

i offered 3% less than what they paid for it 18 months earlier. they bought it in March 2016,  so with post brexit and market showing signs of falling in london i thought it a fair offer. they had wanted 15% more than what they paid. then they reduced it to 10% more than they paid for. they were in need to sell as were relocating (allegedly) and i was chain free as had sold.

agent said "look, i will send you some properties more in your price range". so he mailed me some one bed flats way less than what i offered (the property was a 4 bed house). then he sent me random articles from the internet on how "prices on the up" etc. 

i said, its a fair offer, and at the end of the day its my money and what i am willing to risk

was taken off the market 3 months later then sold privately for 2% more than i offered a few months later

How pathetic.

What sort of salesman calls potential clients/sales leads timewasters?

37 minutes ago, hurlerontheditch said:

My standard answer to that was "You have no idea what my price range is because I haven't told you".

4 minutes ago, ebull said:

How pathetic.

What sort of salesman calls potential clients/sales leads timewasters?

Someone who's never seen a downturn

4 hours ago, jiltedjen said:

i guess if you leave it on the market for long enough then inflation will effectively cut its real value each year. 
Any house at any price will sell if its left long enough, be it 3 years or 20 years or 100 years, the pound is trending to zero value.

A guy in an agent's I was once using for a sale and purchase - eventually - told me the reason my near offer had been refused was that the vendors decided that if someone was interested they feared they might be selling too cheaply.

"I'll tell you what will happen next" he said. "They'll take it off the market and put it back on at a higher price," (can't recall how much he thought).

He added " this has been going on for 9 years!"

(1983)

12 hours ago, Si1 said:

Someone who's never seen a downturn

During my ‘buying and selling’ period around 2000 to 2014, I was very careful to keep good relationships with EAs so they knew my ‘low offers’ were genuine. It’s a small town and EAs all knew each other so careful not to get a rep as a ‘dreamer making low offers’   

Despite this I still got the ‘I would buy it myself for that much’ response many times....but those who had been through a downturn knew to be very careful what they said to me. 

On several occasions I would get a call a month or so after the offer to ask if I was still interested.....and I bought some bargains but made sure I walked away from many to ensure EAs knew I would walk away ie they understood once refused my offer was NOT indefinitely left on the table. 

Never once when they rang back did I say ‘why don’t you buy it yourself...you said you would’ despite every bone in my body wanting to. They had already had to eat humble pie by ringing me....they knew and I knew they had been wrong. 

Downturns are a wonderful thing for buyers....when sentiment disappears then I ignored the price, ignored the value and just made sure I found motivated sellers who needed a reliable sale at a cost to them. And there were always plenty of them around. 

I think I must have mentioned my friend with his London flat that is getting no viewings/offers for about 3 years.

Can't see the flat online now and I've not spoken to him about it lately so perhaps he decided to let it instead, anyway same block has one for sale at £310,000. How can you justify a doubling of price in 3 years? Service charge is £135 a month too!

£190,000 Flat, Leasehold, Residential 13 Nov 2002  
£95,000 Flat, Leasehold, Residential

30 Apr 1999

1 hour ago, bear.getting.old said:

How can you justify a doubling of price in 3 years? Service charge is £135 a month too!

£190,000 Flat, Leasehold, Residential 13 Nov 2002  
£95,000 Flat, Leasehold, Residential

30 Apr 1999

Because Nu Labour re-invented the laws of economics.  Hurrah!

On 11/11/2019 at 11:36, Bruce Banner said:

Some people have everything they own up for sale.... always.

Some people just like having pictures of their house on the internet.

On 10/11/2019 at 12:34, hurlerontheditch said:

Had a look online yesterday at places for sale but not actually for sale. What I mean is, properties put on but owners not really wanting to sell, unless the ridiculous price being achieved. with the number of listings down and with these actually included in these numbers, the market is well and truly fked

some examples:

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/43503461?search_identifier=d50079c43e775b4c4457a3cd0efe7f39

2.5 years on the market

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/44790071?search_identifier=d50079c43e775b4c4457a3cd0efe7f39

2 years on the market

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/42650739?search_identifier=d50079c43e775b4c4457a3cd0efe7f39

nearly 3 years on the market

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/45765417?search_identifier=52e181bb9c73fbdb47c414f3e9bb6678

4 years!! its been on that long that they actually put the price up in the beginning

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/39322088?search_identifier=52e181bb9c73fbdb47c414f3e9bb6678

5 years!! recently reduced!

surely if they wanted to sell they would follow the price till they got a bite

I appreciated some are just  doing it for ego trips, i.e. our place is worth over xx however some reducing and been on the market 5 years, they must want to sell but can't accept that they need to go lower

On 11/11/2019 at 10:02, msi said:

Beggers belief.

On 11/11/2019 at 10:06, hurlerontheditch said:

You get the most flack when you are right over the target